Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
Originally posted by cb911
also, how does everyone get the Terminal window to be transparent? i thought that TinkerTool could do that, but the new TinkerTool couldn't do it under 10.2 as far as i could remember. so how is everyone doing it? is there a new version of TinkerTool or something?

it's in window settings in the terminal CS menu, select color from the drop down menu. there's a transparency bar at the bottom

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Check this out:

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 372

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
my imac has been up for 4 days. it would have been like 12 days by now, but the power went out for like 2 seconds the other day, so i had to reboot.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by MacFan25
my imac has been up for 4 days. it would have been like 12 days by now, but the power went out for like 2 seconds the other day, so i had to reboot.
i hate that dort of thing. i was at 27 days when my laptop's power supply keeled over, and i had to wait a week for apple to send a replacement. i broke down and tried to just buy a spare for the interim, but none were available in austin, anywhere. god i was pissed about that. but in the end, my powerbook ran totally out of batteries, not even enough to keep it asleep.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Originally posted by Doctor Q
My Mac uptime: 12 days 18 hrs 33 min

The company I work for had a customer who had a Solaris-based Unix system. We told them to reboot after we made a change to a kernel parameter. They asked how to reboot. It turns out they had never done so before. We sold them the computer over a year before, and it had been up continuously ever since!
the record in my fathers company, for the servers is about 550 days :D debian rocks :D

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
hey, come on people, i know it is not good what i m doing right here ( i consider this as spamming ) ut please, post your uptimes... Please. come on.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
the reason some of you get slow downs after long uptimes is ram caching and page outs resulting from no free ram. just free up some ram and you are cool.

Attachments

• uptime.jpg
    uptime.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 334

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
the reason some of you get slow downs after long uptimes is ram caching and page outs resulting from no free ram. just free up some ram and you are cool.
how to clear the ram ? it keeps beeing used even after the programs are closed ( as every flavor of unix is doing... )

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by maradong
how to clear the ram ? it keeps beeing used even after the programs are closed ( as every flavor of unix is doing... )

not entirely true. a poorly coded app won't release its ram. but good apps will. launch photoshop and quit it and you can a couple hundred megs. launch iphoto and quit and ive gained as much as 400megs. if you run crappy network intensive apps (like itunes when sharing) your ram will disappear and new apps will pageout. but if you launch a new app like photoshop or iphoto and quit they are smart enough to use unused memory from other apps and then release it when they are done. there are also shareware apps to scrub ram. i usually just launch and quit iphoto when running low. an instant 200 to 400meg gain everytime. this means i only restart when installing something that requires a restart or a power outage or electrical storm (which we have had a lot of lately... grrrr).

also if you use a lot of lil crappy shareware type apps you may be leaking memory. i make sure all my third party apps are leak free (or if they leak i learn what causes the leak and avoid it)

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
open terminal, input "sudo sh /etc/monthly" and hit enter, and give your password. you'll see your RAM usage go down significantly if you are low on free RAM.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by Shadowfax
open terminal, input "sudo sh /etc/monthly" and hit enter, and give your password. you'll see your RAM usage go down significantly if you are low on free RAM.

there are also a lot of lil apps that do this for you if you are terminal-phobic

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by Shadowfax
yes, but i think it's better to bite the bullet and grow brain cells :D

well some people hear terminal and run screaming. and usually these gui apps have lots of other utilities bundled in so its faster to just click a few buttons tahn type a bunch of commands in the terminal.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
well some people hear terminal and run screaming. and usually these gui apps have lots of other utilities bundled in so its faster to just click a few buttons tahn type a bunch of commands in the terminal.
that's when you write a script, hah! (which i did).

i know what you are saying, i am just being sarcastic. but still, there is value in confronting your fears. it won't bite you if you do as you're told.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
cool
but why do you free the ram ? it is automaticly released as soon as another programm ( than the one cached in the ram ) is opened.
Well at least i never had to free some ram on my *nix machines. even if they run about 90 days and up in general. They are always just as fast as derectly after reboot. They even get faster, the longer they are on.... Strange but true. I suppose it to be something with the caching of some system pref, and other stuff, but i truly don t know.
Now come on people keep on posting some prionscreens. I think that could really become interestant.D

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
cool
but why do you free the ram ? it is automaticly released as soon as another programm ( than the one cached in the ram ) is opened.
Well at least i never had to free some ram on my *nix machines. even if they run about 90 days and up in general. They are always just as fast as derectly after reboot. They even get faster, the longer they are on.... Strange but true. I suppose it to be something with the caching of some system pref, and other stuff, but i truly don t know.
Now come on people keep on posting some prionscreens. I think that could really become interestant.D

its got to be some kind of bug with osx or the apps we use. but when there is no free ram and a new app launches it does not always use unsuded but not free ram like iphoto and photoshop do. most apps just start paging out. i do not know if this is an osx error or an error of the apps in question but this is what happens and it means that osx can get very slow if run for a long time.

and to get things rolling again here is a shot of my uptime cpu and ram use one day later than the last.

Attachments

• uptime.jpg
    uptime.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 284
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.