Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wahprods

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2018
Northeast Ohio
Was surprised to see these in stock at the local Best Buy yesterday—bought one on the spot and I'm loving it so far:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/urban-...-3rd-generation-black/6315591.p?skuId=6315591

A little heavier than the Apple Folio but all four corners are protected, it feels way better to hold and I like that the front cover is removable if you want to just sit and read (the first time takes a bit of effort). Finally feel satisfied with a case for this next generation of iPad Pro (I previously used the new Apple Folio).

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
I have a comment on this. I've studied the ones at Best Buy, including a bunch of new ones they got in this week, at least for the 11--in all three colors of blue, red, and black.

As another user posted somewhere, the apple pencil side on the Best Buy units looks like it was hastily cut with a box cutter--rough and not polished. Also, if you compare the Best Buy version to the one on the UAG website, there are other differences. First, the UAG site shows some coverage on the volume buttons whereas the BB version includes the volume buttons in the massive, ugly cut out. Also, the best buy version has an apple pencil clip on one of the short sides of the case (I like this actually). This is not pictured on the UAG site. Lastly, the lightning connector cutout on the Best Buy version is huge, and wraps to the back of the case to expose the smart connector, though it's anybody's guess why since the case is fairly thick. The UAG pics show a much more normal sized cutout.

One final thought is the magnet on the UAG case flap is pretty small and weak. I bought the Otterbox Symmetry, which has a wider flap (also secures the pencil), and that flap is very magnetic both in closed position and with flap folded around back.

I wish I had taken pictures, but this can easily be seen by comparing the pics on the Best Buy site vs those on the UAG site. The UAG site indicates "coming soon", which makes me wonder if they are refining the case.

Not saying the UAG is a bad case, but it might be worth waiting until UAG refines it....

Reactions: ryansebiz

megatronbomb

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Portland, OR
Was surprised to see these in stock at the local Best Buy yesterday—bought one on the spot and I'm loving it so far:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/urban-...-3rd-generation-black/6315591.p?skuId=6315591

A little heavier than the Apple Folio but all four corners are protected, it feels way better to hold and I like that the front cover is removable if you want to just sit and read (the first time takes a bit of effort). Finally feel satisfied with a case for this next generation of iPad Pro (I previously used the new Apple Folio).

I bought one of these for my iPad Pro 11 and returned it. I noticed that it didn't look like the version on the UAG site and sent them a message about it and discovered that this was the design they came up with prior to the release of the 2018 iPad Pros. The new design, which is still "coming soon" no longer has the pencil attachment contraption at the top and has a proper cutout for the pencil to charge on the side. The one I had looked like it had been cutout with scissors or something. It didn't look professionally done at all.

Reactions: ryansebiz

wahprods

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2018
Northeast Ohio
Thanks for the heads-up! I might return mine then and just wait for the proper version. With a few tweaks, it could be that rare perfect case. ;}

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
Thanks for the heads-up! I might return mine then and just wait for the proper version. With a few tweaks, it could be that rare perfect case. ;}

It's probably just as functionally usable now, just a bit.....rough.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
I subscribed to UAG emails and overnight I got notified that 12.9 blue is in stock. I see on their site the red is in stock also. I suspect these are their refined models, or at least should certainly ship from them as pictured..... All colors for the 11 are still "coming soon".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.