[Urgent] How to restore from TM without a cd drive??

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by yalag, Aug 20, 2011.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

I have the new mac mini without cd drive. How to restore from TM without a cd drive? For my other macs, I boot with the OS cd and choose restore!

Thank you!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You should have a Lion Restore HD partition on your HD. This is normally hidden from the Finder and Disk Utility.

Startup holding down cmd-R, then you will find the option to restore from TM. I forget whether it's on the main window, or in a menu. (Guess I should make a screen shot for my "tool-kit".)

Edit: it's in the main window after startup on Recovery HD

3. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

A simple question those in the know.... If one does not have an Apple keyboard with the command key, and using a PC keyboard instead, which key does one click on with the R key to get into the restore ??

Just had to ask, didn't I ? :D

4. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

I hit a snag with that too with a USB keyboard I was using that was non-apple. I tried the alt key ctrl key and that didn't work. Finally I hit the actual windows key and low and behold the internet recovery process started. LOL

Just found this and I was right the Apple Command Key on a regular Windows Based Keyboard is the Windows Logo Key.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1171

5. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Now that is interesting OTACORB. Trial and error :D

Many thanks. Now I don't have to purchase an Apple keyboard right off the bat.

6. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Yeah, I guess I should have just looked it up like I eventually did, but I was wanting to get my Mac Mini setup and so I did a bit of trial and error. hehehe