URGENT MacOSX isn't working!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hugbees, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Hugbees macrumors regular

I installed an update for it just a moment ago, and when it rebooted it isn't loading up! It loads the dock, and the 2 icons for the harddrives (OSX and Windows) show up, then it does the spinning rainbow of death and nothing else happens and I can't open up any apps or do anything! I've tried rebooting several times and nothing.

OS:X sometimes loads up odd and a reboot will fix it, but this time it's not fixing! Any reason for why it does this at all though? There's nothing wrong with my computer and it runs fine when it does load up, but it just gives me difficulty on occasion just starting up though.

EDIT: Now all my icons load up but it freezes when I click on something! Help I want my computer back!

2. Nanookfan macrumors member

Hi, what update did you apply, 10.5.6? Do you have a time machine backup that you could revert to from just before the update? If it was the 10.5.6 update and you did it via the software updater, try downloading the combo update and re-applying the update that way. There have been multiple issues reported regarding the .6 update and it appears that many have been fixed by re-applying the update via the combo updater.

3. Hugbees thread starter macrumors regular

No I don't have a time machine backup or anything. I did update to 10.5.6 with the software updater too. Is there nothing else I can do? I can't afford to lose my files

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Boot from your install dvd and try a permissions repair.

5. Hugbees thread starter macrumors regular

The disc that came with leopard?

6. Hugbees thread starter macrumors regular

That didn't work. I don't know what else to do

7. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Try an "Archive and Install". This will wipe the OS out and replace it, but leave your home folders and most settings alone. (NOTE: Anything you set up for all users [meaning it went in the root Library] is toast)

8. Hugbees thread starter macrumors regular

hmm, I'd rather not try that if I don't need to. Is there no other solution?

9. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

10. Hugbees thread starter macrumors regular

Well so far nothing works, starting up in safe boot with shift doesn't work, but at the same time holding alt to get into windows doesn't work either. Is there either:

1. Another way to get into safe mode?

2. A way to get my keyboard to work doing start up?

I can't believe this is happening, and it's Apple's fault because of their update, I didn't even do anything! :mad:

Also regarding this, how would I re-apply the update if I can't get into OSX?

11. poolvibe macrumors newbie

poolvibe

Archive and install is really no big deal.. It will give you a spiffy clean os and preserver your user.

BTW... this should make you buy a backup drive and use it.:p

12. Hugbees thread starter macrumors regular

I'll look for a few more solutions before reinstalling, but I have a question about Archive and Install though

Could you show me what exactly you mean by "in the root Library"? I have folders on my desktop, and other such places and I'm not sure if that is part of Library or what counts as that. I'm guessing if it's set up for all users, I may not have anything in there but I just want to be sure.

13. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

When you open your hard disk on the desktop, it comes up with a bunch of visible directories, one of which is called "Library" it's actual name, is "/Library". In UNIX, everything sits within what's called the root directory, which is represented by a "/". Stuff in /Library are resources that can be used by all users, such as desktop backgrounds, application caches, fonts, etc. If we explore a bit, we will find a folder in /Users with your name on it. This is your home folder, which is your personal space. Inside, you will find another folder called "Library". This one is your Library, and it's name would be "~/Library" (the "~" stands for your home folder). It is exactly like the other one (which is the root Library), except it belongs to you, and things in it are only applicable/usable by you.

When you Archive and Install, /Library is replaced, ~/Library is not. The contents of your desktop are in ~/Desktop, which is also not affected. Note the "~" at the beginning of the file path. Your home folder and all its contents will be preserved.

14. Hugbees thread starter macrumors regular

Oh okay good so I shouldn't lose anything then.

15. Live Steam macrumors regular

I had to do the same thing. It works. No loss of data/files, but it's work to get everything/apps and such, back to your liking.

16. Fuchal macrumors 68020

What system do you have?

You shouldnt have a problem with the startup keys - press and hold them down as soon as the chime sounds at the beginning.

17. Amdahl macrumors 65816

If it seems like the keyboard boot-keys aren't working, your keyboard may not be working at boot. Try a different USB keyboard.

18. Hugbees thread starter macrumors regular

The keyboard works great when the computer starts, just not at start up. I'm using the keyboard that came with the computer.

I don't know why I have so much trouble with this computer, it's been almost nothing but trouble since I got it

19. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Is the keyboard your using a USB one? Sometimes wireless keyboards aren't great for boot commands.

20. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

i second that you do an archive install. Ok heres what i would do:

1) Buy an external drive for backups(!) and SuperDuper or any similar software for backing up
    2) Archive Install. All your files and your settings will be preserved. Also, a folder with the previous system files will be generated. In your case, trash it, its pretty useless.
    3) Backup my whole hd to the external, and then download the combo update from apple's website and apply it.

I know this requires $$, but i think that it is your best shot. Not having a backup before applying updates, or in general actually, makes me lose my sleep. Anything can happen, from a broken update to a failed hd. I wish you luck mate

edit: if its the keyboard that came with your mac, i cant see any reason it wouldnt work at startup. have you contacted apple?

21. Hugbees thread starter macrumors regular

I used to be able to do start up commands with the keyboard, but one day it just stopped working, not sure why.

22. Hugbees thread starter macrumors regular

Question:

How long does an Archive and Install take? I'll be busy most of the weekend but I'll have some time in the morning tomorrow but I only want to do this if I can install it while I'm at my computer. I don't want to leave it unattended while it's doing anything

23. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

24. Hugbees thread starter macrumors regular

25. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

it shouldnt take an hour. it took ~15mins on my mac pro, it should take mostly 30-45mins on your imac.