URGENT: What other possible uses for a GPS-enabled iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 50548, Mar 27, 2012.

1. 50548 Guest

I've just cancelled my Apple Online Store order for a new WiFi iPad after remembering that only the 4G version has an aGPS functionality.

Now I need reasons to justify that slightly-more-expensive purchase to my wife...I mentioned, of course, the possibility to use navigation apps with pre-loaded maps when we go places.

However, I already have GPS in my car and she said that we could do the same with her iPhone 4...so my simple question is:

What other possible uses are there for GPS-enabled iPads besides pure turn-by-turn navigation? Geotagging of photos? What else?

Your prompt replies are greatly appreciated!

2. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Justifying purchases to your wife?

I think you'd better put that money to marriage counseling.

3. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I hope the wife is reading this!

I am happy with the wifi. There's really no justification if you can't come up with reasons yourself! Wifi is everywhere.

4. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Photo-tagging for one if you are planning to use the new camera.

5. 50548, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012

50548 thread starter Guest

Are you just unable to see the irony behind my message? The choice is already made; I just wanted to have additional information concerning possible GPS uses.

If you have nothing to add, please don't respond instead of babbling nonsense.

6. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Well if you really are justifying for your wife, clearly you're not in agreement and probably overspending.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Sorry, OP, but that's about it. Once on vacation I did fry my iPhone and had to use the iPad for the GPS. But that's about it.

8. 50548 thread starter Guest

So you are saying there are no other possible original app-driven uses for GPS?

9. Tozzi macrumors regular

This is not what you'll want to hear (and I was torn, too, on this decision):
    You won't need GPS on your iPad, if you own an iPhone.
    I've owned an original iPad with 3G and GPS for 2 years now and in all that time I've used this functionality maybe twice; each time I could have as well used my iPhone for that (or have them tethered).
    I went for the WiFi version this time and the longer I am using it the less I regret my decision. I've spent the extra bucks on a new AppleTV instead.

YMMV, of course, but if you need us to come up with justifications, you'll probably never use the extra features. Might give you peace of mind, though ("if I'll ever really need it I'll be p****d off that I didn't spend those extra bucks"...)

10. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

My iPad goes in the chase vehicle when I'm flying a hot air balloon so the chase crew has a valid map with roads, turnoffs, cul-de-sacs, "green belts" (areas we can land, etc).

Also used it when I'm in a different city and I'm in the passenger seat. Much larger/nicer map than on a small iPhone 3.5" screen. Nice for looking up Yelp for where to eat in different cities too :)

Used it to track my husband's race during a half-marathon (I had ankle surgery so couldn't join this time) - again though, it's just a nicer/bigger screen.

11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Here is one. If someone steals it you can track them even if they are not in a wifi zone.

Another is get a mount for the car. The GPS apps are way better than any car based GPS systems.

12. eneisch macrumors 6502a

You can use it with apps like Yelp or Urbanspoon to find restaurants in your immediate area when traveling, but you can do that on the iPhone as well. Unfortunately if you have an iPhone its going to be a hard sell since most iPad apps have iPhone versions. That being siad I much prefer the iPad versions of Yelp and Urbansoon over the iPhone versions. Both are designed to make better use of the big screen.

13. 50548 thread starter Guest

OK, let me just give you additional information:

- Money is not really an issue (extra 100 bucks won't make a difference) - the advantage is that the 64GB 4G model is ready for pick-up where I live, as opposed to the WiFi model - but I don't want to pay for something that will be never used;

- I don't have an iPhone since I don't use cell phones that much (am still with my old/crappy 2005 RAZR);

- I wanted to know if there are other/original uses for GPS which go beyond the ordinary navigation apps.

14. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

GPS has other awesome uses such as tracking police speed traps, tracking down your mistress, tracking movements of your kids, tracking movements of your coworkers, tactical advantages for sniping targets, and finding the closest falafel joint. What more can you ask for :p?

15. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

An abundance of apps use the GPS to determine where you are and display pertinent information about things around you. Wifi location is so-so and really not adequate if the app requires accuracy for closely located places. I often am faced with no known location if the GPS is off and it tries to use wifi.

16. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

+1 to the find my ipad feature
    but yeah, i woulda have just gotten wifi if i didnt find the lte useful.

i find the gps navigation on google maps worse than any garmin ive used. What app do you use for navigation??

17. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

The fundamental purpose of GPS is geolocation. If you need a way to pinpoint your location with relative accuracy, then you need GPS. If not, you don't. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

I could just as easily tell you "a GPS is great to maintain a database of public toilets in my town" but really, would you want to use that as a selling point to justify getting a GPS-enabled iPad for yourself?

18. Tozzi macrumors regular

Oh ok in that case, by all means the 4G version is the right choice, IMO.
    I'm using my GPS a lot (on my iPhone).

Yelp, MyTaxi, Qype, Michelin mostly (apart from TomTom).
    Geotagging of Photos, too, but you'll probably not take that many pictures on your iPad...

19. diane143 macrumors 6502a

If it was, I wouldn't have bought a 4G model. Plus work sometimes puts me up in a hotel where wifi is $10/night.

I'm also hoping the battery lasts longer than the phone while using GPS. I don't have a new charger for the car yet and I'm tired of frying my phone battery in a few hours using the GPS.

20. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Actually the fact that you still have a RAZR phone -- by all means get the iPad with GPS. You'll find you use it more and more once you have it - restaurants on the road, trying to find some store or house you haven't been to and don't have a map, turn-by-turn directions, planning your next bike ride or long run, etc.

Or just gaze up at the night sky with an app like SkyWalk, which uses the camera and the GPS and let it tell you what star (or planet) you're looking at when you look up.

21. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

Wirelessly posted

How about "find my iPad" if not within wifi range!

22. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

-Weather at your current location
    -Tunein radio finds the local stations with GPS
    -A giant speedometer (speedbox) in case yours is off or you like the big numbers
    -Navigation obviously
    -Facebook posts (passenger stating we are on vacation, checking in at where ever)
    -Photos of course.
    -Store apps(Walgreens, Target, etc. etc.)to find the closest store and find the ad's and coupons for that store.
    -LightTrac for find out how the light is going to be as a photographer.

And if someone steals your ipad you can always locate it with gps just make sure under settings/general you enable restrictions and disable changing location services for apps(find my iphone app) so the thief can't disable it from being tracked.

You never know what you might need it for, those are the examples of what I use it for, one day there will be an app you might want GPS for it as its convenient.

Edit: Maps in Car Navigation GPS aren't always updated, I had this happen to me with a old GPS unit in Jacksonville FL on 295.. my GPS was telling me I was driving over water where no road exist when in fact a new bridge was built not too long ago, the upside of having gps on an ipad. Always up to date gps info.

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

Or just say "because I wanted the data anywhere capability" or whatever and not worry about coming up with supposed needs that you didn't know existed...

It's one thing to already have a capability in mind you want as your justification to upgrade. It's a different thing to effective lie to your spouse by coming up with things that you never knew existed.

Btw, what you asked is a very different question than "hey, I just ordered a 4G iPad, what cool gps things can I do other than navigation?"

24. 50548 thread starter Guest

Thank you all for your kind replies and apologies for my previous outburst..!

It seems like the 4G version is the way to go, even if I won't probably use it that much.

@Tortri:

You have mentioned Facebook posts and other uses: does the GPS enable them to tell people exactly where I am by city name and so on?

As for geotagging: how is the geotag displayed? By coordinates or location names?

Another question: NONE of these GPS uses requires cellular data or an installed SIM-card, right? Because I, at least for the moment, don't intend to buy one.

----------

Indeed; the way you phrased seems much clearer - I must be feeling tired after a long day at work.

25. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

None of this is free. You've gotta have a data plan - GPS uses data. Unless you tether from something else, but in that case, no need for a GPS iPad anyway.