URL transfer from mac to iPhone?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by itegypt, Aug 20, 2012.

1. itegypt, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012

itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

I been using emails to do this is there is a easy way to transfer a url/link while I'm on the mac to my iphone over wifi?

Thanks

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

3. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Also, once iOS 6 is released, iCloud Tabs will allow you to see on your iPhone any tabs that are open in Safari on your Mountain Lion Mac.

4. itegypt thread starter macrumors 6502

itegypt

not working

5. itegypt thread starter macrumors 6502

itegypt

Cool because I see this...nothing shows on the iphone and they both on wifi same network

Attached Files:

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You would have to save the site as a bookmark in Safari on the Mac, then that would get synced to the iPhone as a bookmark in Safari on the iPhone. I don't that is what you after from the sound of your question.

7. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

If you bookmark the link in Safari on the Mac, it will appear in your bookmarks in Safari on your iPhone as long as they are both signed in to the same iCloud account. You don't need to be on the same network.

----------

Again, iCloud Tabs won't be available on the iPhone until iOS 6 is released next month.

Bookmark sync is a different feature that is currently available.

8. itegypt thread starter macrumors 6502

itegypt

Thx guys!!!
    :D

9. metanoiac macrumors member

Use Syncopy to share your clipboard on the mac with your iOS device. Free service.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You could paste the link in a TextEdit document and sync it via Dropbox with the free Nocs iPhone app. Just open the document in Nocs and tap the link to open the page. No need to bookmark.

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you change your thread title to something more descriptive. To do so, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where to edit the thread title.

11. itegypt thread starter macrumors 6502

itegypt

I did Thx

12. itegypt thread starter macrumors 6502

itegypt

13. reubs macrumors 68000

Why can't you just use Reading List? Is that not an option you want to take?

14. noodile macrumors regular

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How does reading list transfer URLs from a Mac to an iPhone?

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Add an item to OS X Safari Reading List and iCloud syncs it to the iOS device. Read here.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Ahh. iCloud syncing. That's no different than syncing bookmarks, right? While that may work well for some, I prefer being able to transfer items like URLs or notes without having to do a full sync or change sync settings.

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Although it does get synced through iCloud with bookmarks it is much easier to manage. More of a temporary bookmark if you will. If you are on a page you want saved to Reading list just do shift-command-r and it is added to your reading list and will be available in the iOS Safari reading list. Just do shift-command-l to see the Safari reading list and you can add and remove items from the list. Kind of like Instapaper built into Safari.

You don't have to do any sync. iCloud will do it automatically in the background.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

OK. Unless I'm missing something, it seems more cumbersome if you visit a site and want to transfer the URL to your iPhone, but it's not a site you want to keep on the Mac. That means you'd have to add it to bookmarks or the reading list, then do a full sync with the iPhone, then remove it from bookmarks or the reading list.

With Airlink, you just send the link and neither the Mac or iPhone has to add it to any list or sync. With Nocs, you can send one or many links in a document, then trash the document after you're done, without syncing anything but Dropbox. This appeals to me, as I don't want to use iCloud because I want to have more control over what gets synced between Macs and iPhones.

However, I'm sure all the methods have a place and will work for various needs and preferences.

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think the part you are missing is with Safari Reading List there is no manual sync with the iPhone required at all. It gets done in the background automatically all on its own. There is nothing to "sync" in the sense of the user taking any action. Just shift-command-r while on a site and when you go to your iPhone the URL is there in the Reading List. That's it.

I have not used Nocs so can't comment on it. The chief limitation I see with Airlink is it only sends one link at a time. So if I have three sites I want to keep to read on my iPhone later, it is not going to work.

I personally use Instapaper with their iOS app for this, but for a Mac/iOS device user Reading List will get the job done nicely with existing built in tools and no fuss.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

But that functionality requires that the user is already set up to allow syncing bookmarks/reading list via iCloud, right? I don't want my hundreds of bookmarks on my Mac to appear on my iPhone. I find iCloud is a good tool for an individual who wants to keep their own Macs/iPhones/iPads in sync, but it's not good for families who want to be able to selectively sync yours/mine/ours. I may be missing something, but I find no use for iCloud other than Find My iPhone.
    Airlink definitely has the one-link limitation, but it's very quick and easy for that purpose. I'll check out Instapaper. Thanks.

22. cvaldes macrumors 68040

If your Mac is running Mountain Lion, you could simply use the Notes app.

I do this for simple things like saving URLs for one-time use, as well as the typical shopping lists, etc.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That requires syncing via iCloud, or via iTunes on the local WiFi network, right? And don't you have to compose/edit notes in Mail, as opposed to using any text file, such as with TextEdit?

I tried Notes, then went to Notebox, but it only supported plain text, which doesn't work well for URLs, but it did sync with Dropbox.

So far, Nocs seems to have all the features I was looking for. I can compose/edit in TextEdit, save as .txt or .rtf and read/edit/compose the same on the iPhone. I can choose which notes stay local to the Mac or iPhone, and which are shared via Dropbox with other selected computers or phones, even non-Apple products. Notes can move between the Mac and iPhone from anywhere on the web, without being on the same Wi-Fi network. iTunes or Mail doesn't have to be running and there's more flexibility than iCloud offers.

For specifically grocery shopping, I find AnyList to be useful. It's easy for multiple people sharing a list to add or remove or mark off items, which works well if they're not in the same location. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a Mac app.