US Customers that need UNLOCKED iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AttilaTheHun, Oct 21, 2014.

1. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

Why we are forgotten by Apple in the US? some of us that need the iPhone to be unlocked, traveling on business frequently. and we want the new iPhone 6plus.
    (ATT will not unlock it even if I pay full price.
    I always have to wait for Apple to start selling them a month or more later.
    WHY Apple WHY.:confused:

2. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Unlocked phones were available on day 1. I have one - bought at the Apple store. What am I missing here?

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Probably some agreement with the carriers. Also, buy the T-Mobile version from Apple, it's unlocked. I've used my 6 on 3 different carriers (AT&T, Tmo, and Cricket) with zero issues.

4. Rigby macrumors 601

AT&T should unlock a fully paid phone after a grace period. Personally, I bought my 6 on Next (since there was no option for a full price AT&T model when the preordering started), paid it off in full after I received the first bill earlier this month, and successfully unlocked the phone a few days later via the AT&T web form.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Buy an AT&T, or T-Mobile one from Apple at full price, they have been unlocked since day 1. Or you could buy a Verizon model as those are unlocked as well.

6. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I'm planning on doing the same thing, but I was told by several different AT&T reps that I have to wait 2 billing cycles.

7. cjake macrumors member

T-Mobile, ATT, and Verizon models purchased at full price from an Apple Store are all unlocked. Don't bother dealing with any other retailer.

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

What are you talking about. If you purchase an AT&T iphone device only (full price), it will be unlocked out of the box. It's been like this since Day 1.

When I purchased a device only AT&T iPhone, all I had to do was plug it into my mac, open itunes, let it do it's thing and I got a "Congrats your iphone has been unlocked" message.

I recently sold the AT&T 6 Plus and purchased a Verizon 6 Plus SG and that came unlocked out of the box as well and currently using my AT&T Network.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Did you buy it from Apple or an AT&T store? I know with T-mobile models the ones from apple are unlocked while the ones from T-mobile are locked. And I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same way with AT&T.

10. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Got mine at the Apple store. But I guess that make sense if purchased through AT&T then it could be possible that it's locked, and you would have to request it unlocked.

11. serega macrumors regular

I purchased Verizon for my wife at Apple store but there is no option to order from online store for a full price.

12. Allthings-I macrumors 6502

You always have paid options, otherwise wait 30-60days and I'm sure AT&T will unlock it for you.

13. Rigby macrumors 601

It worked for me after receiving the first bill since buying the phone. On the AT&T overview page, click "view bill details", then "view installment plan details". You should see a button to pay off the Next installment plan. I submitted the unlock request a few days later and it was approved.

14. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

There's no contract on any phone bought outright for full price. Or if there is you got scrwd.

16. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

aaah that worked, you're the man! Either at&t changed their policy on this or the sales reps gave me bad information (wouldn't be the first time) I'll wait a few days and submit the unlock request.

17. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Just FYI there's been multiple threads here saying that all att tmobile and Verizon iPhone 6 bought from apple stores full price are gsm unlocked. Verizon iPhone 6 is gsm unlocked from the get go, even under contract, regardless of where u buy it. Do people even look at other threads?

18. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Bad info from rep. The 2 month wait is if you want to do a Next upgrade. You have to wait 2 months if you want to pay off the 12/18 months worth of payments required for Next upgrade. If you just want to pay off your Next balance in full, you can do that anytime.

19. roguebear macrumors newbie

Well one thing to note is while that is theoretically true in certain places it doesn't matter. I live in the SF Bay Area and have been checking iStockNow daily for a 64 GB Verizon iPhone to be available at an Apple store so I can get it full price. A month after launch I'm still waiting....

20. 617aircav Suspended

That is a stock issue, the OP was complaining about an unlocked phone not being available, which isn't true.

21. abta1, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

abta1 macrumors 6502

AT&T phones are unlocked, I bought one when I was in the US, am now using it in Europe, no problem.

Edit: I meant to say that they are unlocked if bought for full price, which is what I did. I was also told by the Apple rep that should it not be unlocked as is, I could go to an AT&T store where they will happily unlock it for me once I showed them the receipt.

22. deeddawg macrumors 604

Careful; the above is true IF the phone is purchased from APPLE for FULL PRICE. It is by no means true in other cases, as your post implies, such as purchases from AT&T or other retailers or purchases where the phone is financed via NEXT or on a 2yr contract.

23. abta1 macrumors 6502

You are correct, I wrote my post rather quickly, I'll edit.

24. AttilaTheHun thread starter macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

I wish. so far they unlocks after two years
    I am over 10 years with them never had one request fulfill, last month when I asked they told me to go to the Apple store, It's OK not the end of the world, Apple makes money in any case,

25. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Buy the Verizon model. The iPhone 5c/5s/6/6 plus all have the same radios as the AT&T model and are fully unlocked.