US Driver's License my strange problem needs a remedy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by coolwater, Apr 23, 2015.

1. coolwater, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015

coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Hello. I'd like to ask for any advices.

Here's the story:

1. I sold my car in Nov 2013 and moved out of US
    2. In early 2014, my former landlord forwarded me a mail from a collection agency saying that I owe the Virginia County personal property tax (dated Feb 2014)
    3. Being out of country, I could not contact the Virginia DMV. (I did send them an email right away but no reply was received.)

So, I'd like to take care this problem now.

4. I am moving back to US soon, but I will be moving to California.
    5. Most likely (I am 99.99% positive) my driver's license has been suspended by the Virginia DMV because of the property tax delinquentcy. :(
    6. Now, I really need to have my Virginia driver's license reinstated before I get my California license. However, I'd like to take care this Virginia mess without me personally flying to Virginia to save $$$$$ (plane tickets, hotel, meals, etc)

Any good ideas?

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Why? You don't need a VA drivers license to get a CA license.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

True, although OP may want to avoid the driving test. Fixing the VA mess just for that may not be worth it, though.

4. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Did some very cursory searching, and it appears that states will generally not grant licenses if you're currently suspended in another state.

If someone has specifics on California and Virginia not sharing DL data, might be a good idea to post those specifics.

5. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Tried. They never answer calls. :(

----------

Exactly. With suspended license, you cannot get another state's license.

6. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Virginia DMV probably can't help you at this point directly if the debt was actually sold to a third party debt collection agency. Contact the collection agency and ask them to verify they hold/own the debt and find out how to pay it off, get verification it has been paid off/settled, and send it to DMV. No guarantee that will lift the suspension though.

7. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Even trying to take the driving test in another state while your DL is being suspended by a state is prohibited. If you'd try it anyway, you'd have to lie on the application and that's a very very serious violation of the law. That WILL sooner or later get you arrested once you get pulled for speeding.

----------

That's the problem. Even if I take care the debt, I will still have to personally visit VA DMV to get my license reinstated.

8. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Have you called the collection agency? In the US, they actually buy the debt from the DMV and hold it so they are the people to pay now. I would contact them, verify they actually own the debt, pay it off with them and get written proof to verify it's paid off before calling the Virginia DMV.

Have you tried to call the DMV? I tried their number on their web site just now and there's definitely a way to negotiate their menus to get onto a collection notice/suspended license waiting queue to talk to a real person? You can at least verify your license status. It's probably going to take more than one try, some waiting and calling at the first opportunity (9am eastern time), etc, but do you actually want to fix this remotely or not? Trying once and giving up because the queue was too long isn't really trying.

I don't know what you're expecting from us here.

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Well it sounds like your only hope is to go there. Lesson learned I guess.

10. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Paying the debt to the filthy collection agency is not an issue here. The question is whether there is a way to get my DL reinstated without me having to fly to VA.

Just today alone, I called DMV five times already but no success. The machine picks up the call and says the waiting time is 20 min then hangs up - every time. It doesn't even let you wait 2 seconds. Heck, I would wait 2 hours if that will get me a real person on the phone.

11. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

Well step one is going to be settling the debt with the "filthy collection agency." You're probably not going to get anywhere with the DMV absent proof you've paid the debt off, even if you're there in person. Have you tried the Compliance Summary system referenced on this page to find out what you need to do to reinstate your license? You can also do a records request to find out what your license status actually is.

I waited on one of the VA DMV's phone queues for a minute or two but didn't want to actually have someone pick up so I hung up. I was not told about a 20 minute wait or otherwise and I was not disconnected immediately (music was playing).

12. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Very helpful suggestions and advices. Thank you buddy - I really appreciate your help. :)

13. coolwater, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015

coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Terrible headach gone

Okay. The problem has been solved!

Here's how it went:

1. Called VA DMV at their earliest hour (8am EST US)
    2. Someone actually answered only after a 2-minute hold
    3. I explained my situation and she was looking into the system and suddenly the call got dropped :(
    4. Called again and this time I had to hold for 30 min
    5. Someone else finally answered and I explained again
    6. The VA DMV system shows the correct vehicle sold date and according to the DMV lady, the VA Treasury Dept. should not have billed me for property tax (wtf!)
    7. And, my Driver's License has not been suspended :)
    8. I can use my VA DL to apply for another state's DL
    9. No need to spend $$$$ and waste valuable time to fly to VA
    10. I will deal with the mistaken property tax issue once I move back to US

I really want to thank all of you who posted comments above and gave me very helpful suggestions and advices. I especially would like to thank mr. burgundyyears for your great help. I did once think about calling at the earliest hour but just didn't do it by thinking it probably won't make any difference. But, listening someone else telling me to try it really made the idea seem worth a try. So, I actually gave a shot. You are da man mr. burgundyyears! :cool:

14. Huntn, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

If I understand the time line correctly, you were a Virginia resident in 2013, and if you owned a car with Va license tag, you'd owe the state personal property tax on that car for 2013. If you have not paid it, pay them. However, I'd think they collect personal property tax as part of your tag renewal- no, yes? Bottom line, pay the tax.

Write them a letter, tell them you regret the misunderstanding and want to verify the status of your drivers license. For electronic communication, go to their web site and see if they have a contact form.

Lol- never mind :D

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Let it never be said that minor miracles don't occur. :D