US iphone 4 in UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jringeno, Oct 24, 2010.

1. jringeno macrumors newbie

I have tried to get a straight answer on this, but nobody seems to know and the guy at the apple store didnt have any clue either.

The wife and I are moving to the UK in february, and her sprint contract is about to run out, so we are really wanting to get iphones. Im not really worried about contracts, since i will be moving on military orders, and are not required to pay all the disconect fees when we leave. My main question is, if we buy iphone 4's now, will we be able to use them in the UK if i jailbreak and unlock them?

If anyone can give me info, i would very much appreciate it. thanks!

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

If the cell phone provider in the UK operates on these frequencies:

-UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    -GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

and require a SIM Card, I think you should be fine, but don't take my word as 100% truth.

3. sirslaysalot macrumors member

problem is there's no unlock for 4.1 right now, which is pretty much what you'll get unless that shop has old stock lying around (highly unlikely)

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

you could always hold off on the iPhones and buy official unlocked ones whilst over here in the UK

5. jringeno thread starter macrumors newbie

i wouldnt mind doing that, if the prices werent so crazy. It would be a lot cheaper to buy them here before, i think.

6. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

How long will you be in the UK for?

If you buy a US phone, it will be locked to a US network. Sim Free, the phones are £499 and £599.

On the plus side, you get to use the phones anywhere in the world on a GSM network.

7. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Buy now wait for unlock to come out then jailbreak/unlock

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

When the iPhone 3G came out, it was sold in the UK and the US. Both were the same model and carried the same baseband chip. O2 and AT&T used the same frequencies for 3G networking, so, the iPhone worked well there regardless where you bought it.

Furthermore, the current iPhone 4 supports two more types of frequencies giving it much more International support. And since the iPhone 4 has the same and two additional frequencies it is *very* likely a US purchased iPhone will work in the UK if and only if the US iPhone has been previously unlocked.

9. jringeno thread starter macrumors newbie

Were going to be in the UK for 3 years and then somewhere else in europe after that, hopefully.

I am thinking i will just have my wife buy the 2 iphones now on a family plan, and send me the other one to mess around with, since it wont work here in korea.

10. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The UK providers only use one (or more) of the three frequencies I've put in bold, so it'll be fine (as others have pointed out, assuming it isn't SIM locked).