US Mac Pro in the UK -- am I frying my baby?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ben1969, Aug 2, 2012.

  1. ben1969 macrumors member

    Mar 18, 2008
    Just moved to the UK (here for two years). When I plugged my MP in using a small adapter plug I hear a small buzzing sound from the area of the power supply (a sound I don't remember hearing before). Should I be using a specific adapter, or should I buy a UK spec cord to plug in and skip the adapter plug? I've shut everything down now as I'm afraid I might be slowly marinating my machine in unwanted volts. Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. Wardenski macrumors 6502

    Jan 22, 2012
    I think the powersupply can handle both 110 and 240 V. I get that buzzing sound with UK plug, I only noticed it two years ago but had no problems.
  3. ActionableMango macrumors G3


    Sep 21, 2010
    The MP is definitely rated for that voltage. If it wasn't, you would have found out a lot faster than the 2 years its been in operation. A LOT faster. ;)

    That being said, I have no idea if the US power cable is rated for the same current, or how good/crappy that adapter is. I'd get a proper cable just to be safe. These cables are like $2 in the USA, so they're probably something like £20 there.

    An active UPS would be a nice addition as well, but not strictly necessary.
  4. gnasher729 macrumors P6


    Nov 25, 2005
    The current will actually be half in the UK, because the voltage is doubled.

    I'd say the adapter for the plug is most likely to blame. Both the connection of your Mac Pro power cable to the adapter, and the connection between adapter and wall outlet, are probably not of highest quality. Search for "Mac Pro Power Cable" on eBay, it's less than £8.

    And it won't hurt the MacPro. The Mac Pro will take anything from 100 to 260 Volt, 50 or 60 Hz, without any problems. Of course a really dodgy adapter could catch fire in the worst case, so if it makes noises, then I would replace it.
  5. asnozz, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

    asnozz macrumors member


    Oct 16, 2006
    London and Kuala Lumpur
    I'm doing the opposite. I moved to the US for a few years and am happily using my Mac Pro here (no adaptor) :apple: :)

    I picked up a standard computer power cable
  6. 92jlee macrumors 6502

    Sep 11, 2009
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    I'm not sure why you guys need adaptors.. Any kettle lead will work. I wouldnt want to use adaptors personally.
  7. allmIne macrumors 6502a


    Sep 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    My kettle has a regular plug?
  8. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

    Jun 24, 2012
    Yes, a kettle has a standard C15/C16 fitting on the appliance end and a regular plug on the wall end.

    They're compatible with computer equipment - all the Mac Pro power lead is, is just a fancy kettle lead (although probably only rated to 70ºC, so without the notch in it preventing it from being used on a kettle).

    The OP should just go down to any hardware store and buy a £2 kettle lead. No need for his adapter.
  9. ActionableMango macrumors G3


    Sep 21, 2010
    You put your MP on the stovetop?
  10. rantingrich macrumors regular


    Aug 10, 2009
    Southern Illinois

    SO that was you driving down the wrong side of the street that I nearly hit head on!
  11. El Awesome macrumors 6502

    El Awesome

    Jul 21, 2012
    A few years ago, I installed a lamp and accidentally used the wrong power cable. The lamp workes not more than 20s.

    If you can use your MP longer than that, no worries ;)
  12. 92jlee macrumors 6502

    Sep 11, 2009
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    lol! Just google "kettle lead" or "kettle plug" - very common cables used for computers, monitors, camera lights and a bunch of other stuff.


    thats what I meant, I feel like a noob.
  13. octatonic macrumors regular


    Mar 23, 2010
    I've moved back and forth between London and the US several times now.

    All you need is a new, region specific, kettle cord and you are good to go.
    Mac Pro power supplies are switching.

Share This Page