Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ben1969

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
Just moved to the UK (here for two years). When I plugged my MP in using a small adapter plug I hear a small buzzing sound from the area of the power supply (a sound I don't remember hearing before). Should I be using a specific adapter, or should I buy a UK spec cord to plug in and skip the adapter plug? I've shut everything down now as I'm afraid I might be slowly marinating my machine in unwanted volts. Any advice would be appreciated.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
I think the powersupply can handle both 110 and 240 V. I get that buzzing sound with UK plug, I only noticed it two years ago but had no problems.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
The MP is definitely rated for that voltage. If it wasn't, you would have found out a lot faster than the 2 years its been in operation. A LOT faster. ;)

That being said, I have no idea if the US power cable is rated for the same current, or how good/crappy that adapter is. I'd get a proper cable just to be safe. These cables are like $2 in the USA, so they're probably something like £20 there.

An active UPS would be a nice addition as well, but not strictly necessary.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The MP is definitely rated for that voltage. If it wasn't, you would have found out a lot faster than the 2 years its been in operation. A LOT faster. ;)

That being said, I have no idea if the US power cable is rated for the same current, or how good/crappy that adapter is. I'd get a proper cable just to be safe. These cables are like $2 in the USA, so they're probably something like £20 there.

An active UPS would be a nice addition as well, but not strictly necessary.

The current will actually be half in the UK, because the voltage is doubled.

I'd say the adapter for the plug is most likely to blame. Both the connection of your Mac Pro power cable to the adapter, and the connection between adapter and wall outlet, are probably not of highest quality. Search for "Mac Pro Power Cable" on eBay, it's less than £8.

And it won't hurt the MacPro. The Mac Pro will take anything from 100 to 260 Volt, 50 or 60 Hz, without any problems. Of course a really dodgy adapter could catch fire in the worst case, so if it makes noises, then I would replace it.

asnozz

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2006
London and Kuala Lumpur
I'm doing the opposite. I moved to the US for a few years and am happily using my Mac Pro here (no adaptor) :apple: :)

I picked up a standard computer power cable

Last edited:

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
My kettle has a regular plug?

Yes, a kettle has a standard C15/C16 fitting on the appliance end and a regular plug on the wall end.

They're compatible with computer equipment - all the Mac Pro power lead is, is just a fancy kettle lead (although probably only rated to 70ºC, so without the notch in it preventing it from being used on a kettle).

The OP should just go down to any hardware store and buy a £2 kettle lead. No need for his adapter.

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
A few years ago, I installed a lamp and accidentally used the wrong power cable. The lamp workes not more than 20s.

If you can use your MP longer than that, no worries ;)

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
You put your MP on the stovetop?

lol! Just google "kettle lead" or "kettle plug" - very common cables used for computers, monitors, camera lights and a bunch of other stuff.

----------

Yes, a kettle has a standard C15/C16 fitting on the appliance end and a regular plug on the wall end.

They're compatible with computer equipment - all the Mac Pro power lead is, is just a fancy kettle lead (although probably only rated to 70ºC, so without the notch in it preventing it from being used on a kettle).

The OP should just go down to any hardware store and buy a £2 kettle lead. No need for his adapter.

thats what I meant, I feel like a noob.

octatonic

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
London
I've moved back and forth between London and the US several times now.

All you need is a new, region specific, kettle cord and you are good to go.
Mac Pro power supplies are switching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.