[US only] Do you have a dash cam in your car?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by coolwater, Jul 20, 2015.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Dash cams are pretty prevalent in many other countries but not yet in US.

A friend of mine bought me a dash cam for Christmas present a year and a half ago. But, I never installed it in my car until today.

(I believe dash cams are still illegal in some states so check before you buy.)

So, I wonder if anyone here already has one. or if anyone planning to get one.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Beats me. I always thought it's stupid.

My home state made them legal only a couple of years ago.

Oh, and, I had heard that cops usually don't like to be video taped by citizens.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

5. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Yea, I know. I used to live overseas and cops over there actually prefer drivers with dash cams because the video recordings make their job much easier in case of accidents. Very strong evidence.

But, in US, many states still don't allow dash cam recordings to be used as evidence in the court. So stupid.

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I imagine they're illegal in some places due to the whole being recorded without knowledge deal... Granted, there are cameras all over the place.

I don't know a single person that owns one.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I've just out of curiosity looked and there is no federal law regulating the use of a dash cam.

**edit**

Dash cams are legal providing they do not block your view and record no sound.

If sound is recording then it's a surveillance device which is bad apparently.

8. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I guess you're right. Things must have changed or progressed a lot in recent years. There used to be huge debates and confusions over the legality of dash cams a few years ago.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yeah I saw a few articles when I was looking and every one was the same issue. It was sound recording that the fuss was over.

10. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Yes, I have read about that too. You must notify your passengers that their audio is being recorded so that you are not illegally recording what they are saying.

11. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I suspect given all the cameras theyre throwing into cars these days eventually manufacturers will install recording hardware. That'll be interesting...

12. samiwas macrumors 65816

I could easily see them being made illegal in the US. Even high-powered attorneys wouldn't be able to bend the stories about their client and get them off with actual evidence against them.

13. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I don't own one and have never really considered it.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Neither do I.

I don't own one, and haven't ever considered getting one either.

15. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

It has to do with the old fears of illeagal FBI wire taps especially during the Nixon area.

16. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

I have one in both of my vehicles. Captured footage of a few minor accidents -- which I have then made copies of for those involved -- luckily nothing serious though.

17. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Well the fact that the new Caddy's already have integrated Dashcams behind the rear view mirror.......

18. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I don't own one but I want one and have wanted one for a while now. I don't want to deal with some dumb ass claiming I did something wrong so dash cam would be great. Especially with the amount of people I see texting and driving. I seen someone on the highway today going about 70 while texting and I never once seen them look up. Insane.
    Aren't you allowed to record anything in a public place? At least I'm pretty sure that's the deal up here in New York, as it should be.

19. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I think the rule has to do more with audio recording.

20. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

It depends on your state's laws. In the state I'm in, only one party being recorded must be aware of it - so if you're in your own car, and you know you're being recorded, you're good. You don't even need to tell a police officer (although it is polite to do so, and may serve to calm down the officer, too.)

If you loan your car to someone, you would have to either disable audio recording, or let them know they're being recorded. In my state, it's only illegal if nobody being recorded knows their being recorded. (So you can't wiretap someone else's phone, but you can record your own phone calls all you want.)

And in general, it only applies to audio recording - almost everywhere allows silent video recording in public with no notice.

That said, to answer the original question - I don't have a dedicated dash cam, but I do have a phone holder that hangs from my windshield that, when I have my iPhone in it, the iPhone's rear camera nicely points right out the windshield, with a view of my speedometer, too. So I generally record from my phone, and if nothing worth keeping the recording happens, I immediately delete it when I get to my destination. The most interesting thing I've caught on it was a deer crossing the road. (And a few "bad drivers," but nothing that caused an accident.)

I also sometimes set my other phone (I have one for work, and one personal,) in my cup holder, pointing at me and out the driver's side window, to record out the window if an officer pulls me over. I haven't had to use those recordings for anything.

21. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I never really thought about it, but yes, but I want one also facing the interior of the cabin in addition to the exterior (for justifiable reasons).

22. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

I've never met anyone that used a dash cam. Honestly the only times I've seen them used is usually on Russian and other Asian nation Youtube videos, as apparently people jumping out in front of you for money is a thing there? That'd probably just get you murdered by an angry driver in the US.

23. bgd macrumors regular

I have a GoPro that I use on a motor bike. Used to be on my helmet but the bracket broke, now have a chest harness.

I have noticed that drivers treat me differently if they can see a visible camera. Don't want to end up on YouTube I guess.

I'm in Asia and the quality of driving is pretty low. Additionally there is recent anti-foreigner sentiment. If something does happen I want some evidence on my side.

24. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Here's a good dash cam capture I saw on another forum. Lady claimed the light was green when she entered the intersection. Expletive alert!

25. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I have a GoPro 3 in a skeleton housing with a RAM mount and a battery pack eliminator cable. It works great 90% of the time. 10% of the time it's a real pain, usually associated with it getting too hot in direct sunlight. Also, it has started 'forgetting' that it's set to loop recording, so I have to re-set that every time I turn it on. I'd like to replace it with a Garmin 20 or similar.