US TSA might not let you board next month

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sydde, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Airport security is expecting to implement a stricter standard for ID next year. You will be OK if you have a passport or EDL, but the ordinary DL/ID issued by some states will not be good enough. My own state drivers license will not get me into the airport after the 10th of next month, if this standard goes into effect. If you are not sure, you should probably follow the link above and check the map.

2. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I'm not trying to be difficult but do you mean you won't be able to pass through a TSA check point, right? You're not actually being prohibited from entering the airport are you? I'm asking because I just heard about Minnesota yesterday from a co-worker.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Missouri is so stupid. It used to be that when you got your license renewed, the DMV would print it off right there on the spot for you. A couple years ago, they redesigned them, switched to printing them at a centralized facility and mailing them to you. Fine. But I was under the impression that the entire point of that was to comply with REAL ID. Apparently not. They knew this was coming, and when they redesigned their licenses and changed the process, they still decided not to comply with federal regulations.

As a Missouri resident and frequent flyer, glad I have a passport card in my wallet. I think it will be getting much more use soon.

Yes, you can still enter an airport. Just not get past TSA. And that's not 100% accurate, because you can still get through TSA without an ID. I don't know what exactly the process is, but I hear it's possible, supposedly they take you aside and ask you questions to verify your identity. If they don't extend these exemptions, airport security lines are going to halt to a standstill.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So now we need a passport to travel in our own country. The terrorists have won.

5. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

6. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

Yes, by "airport", I meant "concourse area", because the subject is about flying on airline. Still, they are also starting to tighten security at the drive (drop-off/pick-up areas) as well, on occasion.

7. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I'm so surprised this is not being fought more strongly by those who oppose a National ID Card, because that's exactly what the Real ID is all about.

You do realize that getting a US Passport is likely to require a Read ID card soon as well...

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

there's the crux of the matter as well.

Keep in mind that if you fly chartered, fractional, private, or GA (read: non-Part 121 operations), you don't have to do anything with the TSA. Walk into the FBO, go straight onto the field, get in your aircraft, and go. Baggage carousel is at the back of the plane, don't have to take off your shoes, and can flip the biggest bird at the TSA as you load/unload, and walk straight out.

BL.

9. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

And I believe a lot of people are okay with this just to "feel safe".

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The idiots are winning, not the terrorists. Life expectancy for a British terrorist currently in Syria is lower than for a US criminal on death row in Texas.

11. weatherwax macrumors member

weatherwax

And yet, no security hoops to get on a train...

12. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

13. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

The TSA have already been vocal about having security checks to get on a train... purely a job creation scheme.

It would be a sad day for the u.s if airport-security-like checks were made for trains and other types of public transport..

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What's so bad about a national ID card, or some sort of standards for IDs?

Right now, the TSA and other federal agencies have to be familiar with the IDs of 50 states. Then each state has several designs. Driver, non driver, learners permit, over 21, over 21, past designs still in circulation, etc. There are literally hundreds of possible different IDs out there, all with their own designs and security features, it is impossible for everyone to know them all. And then everyone who looks young enough to get carded for alcohol and travels to other states frequently has had a bartender give their out of state license a funny look and stare at it, unsure if it's fake or not. So what's wrong with standardizing ID cards? Other countries have done it. And if your concern is privacy, or having your information in a federal database, guess what, the government already has that. Unless you don't have an SSN, don't file taxes, and live in a trailer in the middle of the woods completely off the grid.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The issue here is that your federally issues US Passport, required for international travel and works as an accepted form of identification (even more so than a driver's license or any other ID card) would now be invalid for domestic travel. So now you'd need one form of ID for domestic travel, and one form for international travel, whereas that international travel ID also serves to cover domestic travel.

BL.

16. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

It smacks of 'show me your papers'!!! To bad you can't learn from history!

17. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

It IS definitely "show me your papers"...they just won't outright say it...PC and all.

18. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I have not seen any recommendation or warning that a US passport would not be valid for domestic travel.

Is that just speculation or do you have a reference for that?

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Following the issue to its conclusion, and /.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/12...-drivers-licenses-for-airline-travel#comments

Think about it. If RealID is going to be enforced, then a separate ID is going to be required for domestic travel. And since only that ID can be used, no other valid ID can be used in substitution for that ID, including passports.

Hence, passports could not be used as valid ID for domestic travel.

BL.

20. MechaSpanky macrumors 6502

MechaSpanky

bradl,

The link that you posted as a "reference" is rather weak. Maybe you should read up on the RealID act https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act. You said "Keep in mind that if you fly chartered, fractional, private, or GA (read: non-Part 121 operations), you don't have to do anything with the TSA. Walk into the FBO, go straight onto the field, get in your aircraft, and go." How is that helpful? How many regular Joe's can fly a charter plane?

From wikipedia
    "On January 8, 2016, DHS issued a revised implementation schedule for Phase 4, stating that starting January 22, 2018 "passengers with a driver’s license issued by a state that is still not compliant with the REAL ID Act (and has not been granted an extension) will need to show an alternative form of acceptable identification for domestic air travel to board their flight". Starting October 1, 2020 "every air traveler will need a REAL ID-compliant license, or another acceptable form of identification, for domestic air travel."[6] As of January 2016, 23 states or territories are compliant, 27 have been granted extensions, and 6 are noncompliant.[7]"

I believe that a passport is an acceptable form of identification. People are making a mountain out of a mole hill. There isn't going to be a "card" issued by the federal government with a number (for all you nutty bible-beaters out there) but it wouldn't matter, you've already got one (a Social Security card).

21. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Was this really necessary to make your point? Really?

22. MechaSpanky macrumors 6502

MechaSpanky

thewitt,

Sorry if you felt that my term for people who believe that a national identification is a sign of the end times, was too strong. I didn't mean to offend. I grew up in the Bible-Belt and whenever people start to have a rational conversation about something, invariably it is taken over by people with extreme ideas, and their ideas are far from rational. Their ideas always involve the bible and their own personal interpretation of it. Like a national i.d. system has anything to do with Revelations, no it doesn't.

23. ruck macrumors member

ruck

Bottom line, millions of people are now required to pay for a new EDL or passports, simply to fly domestically. All so the 4% success rated TSA can RFID swipe your data and further compile tracking of our every movement in their databases, all while doing absolutely zero to increase safety.

But you're right, it's just a mole hill.

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah, @bradl, I am not sure that your reading of this is entirely correct; if drivers licenses are considered an acceptable form of ID, it odes not mean that passports are not. It merely means that for that that particular journey, a Drivers licence is acceptable ID - it does not mean that it is the only form of ID allowed to be presented.