USA Made iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Darien Red Sox, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Darien Red Sox, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

Darien Red Sox macrumors regular

Today when I was unboxing iMacs I noticed one of them (a 27" BTO) was Made in The USA. Where are these made and what % of iMacs are made in the US. Is there anyway to increase your chances of getting a us made iMac when ordering?

2. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

It's probably pretty rare though it's interesting to see they even exist. I thought all Macs were made in China.

3. IPlayFair macrumors member

This question, where Imacs are made.......

has been raised on this forum before and here. I believe the general consensus is Imacs are made in China.

4. Darien Red Sox thread starter macrumors regular

Me too, I was quite surprised, I have been working in IT for a few years and this was the first computer other than a Mac Pro that I saw in quite a wile that was made in the US. I wonder if certain built to order configurations are made in the US?

5. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

I think that the OP is saying that he has an iMac that says "made in USA" on it and is wondering how common it is to get one that's made in America, acknowledging that most are made in China.

I know that I've never seen a Mac that was made in America...I would certainly prefer one if it was the same price though.

6. pdjudd macrumors 601

Maybe it was a refurbished model of some kind. As far as I know, all manufacturing by Apple is done in China last I heard. Not economical to assemble them here. Just out of curiosity Darien, where do you work where you Box iMacs? You aren’t employed by Apple per chance? I am not going to turn you in if that is the case, i’m just curious.

7. Sam Spade macrumors regular

I would really like to know this, as well. Does Apple have any manufacturing facilities in the USA?

8. Melbourne Park, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

Melbourne Park macrumors regular

Don't know these days, but surely all the prototying is done in Cupertino. New models used to come out of there before volume ramped up and they came from Asia. They had a plant in Singapore too ...

Here is Wiki's list of components for just the iPhone:

iPhone Primary Contractors - a partial list
    Software and design Apple USA
    Assembly Foxconn Taiwan
    TFT-LCD Screen Sanyo Epson, Sharp, TMD Japan
    Video processor chip Samsung Korea
    Touch screen overlay Balda Germany
    Bluetooth chip Cambridge Silicon Radio UK
    Chip manufacture TSMC, UMC Taiwan
    Baseband IC Infineon Technology Germany
    WIFI Chip Marvell USA
    Touch screen control chip Broadcom USA
    CMOS chip Micron USA
    NOR Flash ICs Intel, SST USA
    Display Driver chip National Semi, Novatek US, TW
    Case, Mechanical parts Catcher, Foxconn Tech Taiwan
    Camera lens Largan Precision Taiwan
    Camera module Altus-Tech, Primax, Lite On Taiwan
    Battery Charger Delta Electronics Taiwan
    Timing Crystal TXC Taiwan
    Passive components Cyntec Taiwan
    Connector and cables Cheng Uei, Entery Taiwan

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_the_apple_factory#ixzz1yUiOGNQV

9. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Nope but they do refurbish machines in the US.

10. foidulus macrumors 6502a

They do make mac pros in the US(used to make XServes in the US as well, but....:rolleyes:)

11. foidulus macrumors 6502a

BTO iMacs may very well be assembled(or at least partially assembled) in the US as well. The weight of the iMac makes air shipping from Shanghai pretty expensive, and of course is an environmental nightmare. In order to save on shipping and CO2 Apple may be moving some of the BTO stuff closer to the customer.

Now keep in mind these "made in X" are pretty deceiving. In the case of BTO imacs they probably make as much of the system as possible in China then ship the shells by boat to the US where they are customized, assembled into the final product and then shipped out.

12. Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

Is there any way to request that my BTO gets assembled in China? I don't trust lazy entitled Americans to do a quality job.

13. Darien Red Sox thread starter macrumors regular

It was a new 27' Built to order model, it was DOA :mad: though so it has to go back.
    No I don't work for Apple typo in original post I meant unboxing, I work at a university, unboxing iMacs is a treat most of the time I have been unboxing Dells (Made in Mexico).

14. Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

15. Scythe5 macrumors regular

I dunno. Since none of the parts are actually made in the US, can you really claim the computer was made in the US if you are simply just slapping it together?

16. IPlayFair macrumors member

You will be okay if it is not union made.

17. Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

Scythe, you wouldn't believe the stupid stuff that regulations and things like "made in America" labels drive companies to do.

Russia has high tariffs on farm equipment, so John Deere completely assembles tractors at its plant in America, then disassembles them, ships the parts to Russia, where they are RE-assembled and thereby avoid the tarrif! LOL

Stupid regulations just add unnecessary inefficiencies to markets

18. Darien Red Sox thread starter macrumors regular

Noticed that they are offering 2 day shipping on some BTO 27" iMacs and Next day shipping on some 21", when I was playing around on Apples site. Don't think you can do 1 or 2 day shipping from China, laptops always come up with 2 to 3 day shipping as an option.

19. pdjudd macrumors 601

Ah! That makes more sense.

20. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

That is what they did with mine last week. I was told by Apple on the phone that they build the machine from a empty shell in Cali and send it on its way.

21. Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

Read that more carefully... It's two or three days UNTIL it ships. That's not a shipping transit time

22. Sam Spade macrumors regular

Can someone confirm that BTO iMacs are made in the USA?

23. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Can we get a picture of this? I'm just curious - I believe it even without an image.

24. Darien Red Sox thread starter macrumors regular

I am talking about shipping options at checkout after it is built and ready to ship.

----------

Tried to get one but dis not come out, all ready sent it back. I needed to look at at three times before I believed it.

25. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Ahh gotcha. Just realized that you had to send it back. Yeah I would've done a quadruple take on reading that one!