Usage creeping up in standby on 4.3

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ashin, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Anyone else?

Left it for 2-3 hours on standby, and it has 5 minutes usage... This accumulates over the day, and I can only assume drains battery

What could cause this, I have notifications and push off...

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It seriously sounds like you're letting the OCD get the best of you.

Those 5 minutes are probably the minutes you racked up unlocking your phone and going into settings to check the usage over a course of 2 hours.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Push Notifications
    Push Emails

plus, the iPhone only has a 300 minute stand-by time, if your not planning on using your phone for a few hours and want to preserve 5 minutes, turn your phone off.

4. Ashin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Apple Defence Force much?

Didn't open it once, in fact just woke up after sleeping for 9 hours and it has 25 minutes "usage" on it.

5. raremage macrumors 6502a

Um,what?

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

7. Ashin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Because it's a bug and drains battery?

Stop defending Apple, if your iPhone exploded would "deal with it" really be the best excuse you'd come out with?

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I'm not defending Apple. It's an electronic device that sends and receives data. It will do work without you telling it to. Things will happen to cause usage. Stop obsessing over battery life with devices and use the damn thing.

Notice how not once I said that you should shut up because it's an Apple device? No, you didn't.

You're just a troll. Keep on whining.

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

10. Ashin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Anywhere else on the internet this would be a problem.

Here on MacRumors, NOPE, Apple can't possibly have buggy software

Seriously, facepalming reading replies in here

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I disagree. I'm not here to defend any multibillion corporation. However, I do realize there is a difference in opinions on many things.
    Usage creeping up (as you put it) can be due to many reasons. You give the perception that its Apple's fault.
    Yet, every phone I've ever had, has had batter loss while not using it in stand by, had data sent to the carrier during the times of non-use, and yes sometimes even not work.
    Nothing is perfect, to expect as much and then complain when its not does give off a "needy" image.

It is a phone, and it is a small hand held computer. While on, it will send and receive data, regardless if you're using it or not. This is most likely applications sending data with/without permission in the background (such as notifications, etc) or even your carrier sending data.
    The iPhone itself is stupid, it will only do what its told to do. By you or the software.

12. raremage macrumors 6502a

It would be an issue, if it were being widely reported or if it were a significant amount of data.

See this link for an example of Microsoft and Yahoo taking some heat for a data leak bug.

13. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

You're free to leave and never ask a question here again. Or you can quit being so defensive, try to understand what we're telling you and, if necessary, calmly and rationally challenge our opinions and ask questions.

14. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I would think that there isn't alot on 4.3 either so it would be hard for anyone to pinpoint the issue you are having.

15. JulianL macrumors 65816

I think you mean 300 hours stand-by time.

My phone tends to clock up about 15 minutes a day of usage even if I haven't activated it for a full 24 hours so clearly some sort of system task(s) and/or third party apps generate usage on their own. 5 minutes in 2-3 hours does sound like a lot more than I get.

- Julian

16. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Your correct. Last night I saw the tech specs on Apple.com for the iPhone, I saw the word hours but somehow still managed to type in minutes.