Usage increases dramatically while sleeping...why?!?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GNice, Jul 26, 2008.

1. GNice macrumors 6502

So I go to bed, hit the sleep wake button last night and take note of the usage hours. Grab my my iPhone 3G is morning and notice the battery is "in the red". Hmmmm...how could that be? Well, I look at the "Usage" and it's increased by several hours!:eek::eek::eek:

Is that normal? Anyone experiencing the same? Sorry if I missed this in the myriad of threads about battery life. Generally speaking I love my iPhone, but I find this odd.

BTW, turned Push off (Fetch hourly was set), Locations Services off, 3G off...only WiFi was on during that time.

2. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Hmm.. Not too sure why it would drain that much. Generally overnight my iPhone drains a bit, but not enough to go into the red. I also have push off.

One thing I personally do -- because I don't get phone calls during the night, nor do I want calls during the night -- is turn the "Airplane Mode" on, so that the signal goes off, but I can use the other stuff on the phone, mostly, the alarm. By doing that, the phone barely drains while I'm sleeping. I realize it takes a few steps to do, but hey, it keeps my phone from draining a lot while I'm really not using it anyways.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've had it happen, but only once in the two weeks I've had the iPhone.

I've got no idea why it did it :confused:

4. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

I had this happen when I initially got my iPhone. I found that the reason behind this was I had gone into my email and it had started connecting but was taking ages so I pressed the home button and thought that this would kill the process. I was wrong though, because whenever I went into email it would still show as connecting. My usage and standby times would also increase together (e.g. 17 hours standby, 17 hours usage). I hard killed the mail app (hold home button for 7 seconds or so) and this fixed the problem.

Just for reference, I had 2 mail accounts set up, one was my GoogleMail and the other was my ISP mail account (BT).

5. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

My usage and standby times are increasing together, too. I'm pretty sure it's not the mail app. I wiped the iPhone and then restored from backup and same problem :eek: any ideas?

6. spinstorm macrumors 68000

Am I the only one that charges my phone while im sleeping?

I mean I have a plug next to my bed - so I plug it into the mains and let it charge.

It takes all of 2 seconds and I have a full battery in the morning!

Fancy that!? wow!

7. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

wow, glad I'm not alone. My phone started doing this since I first upgraded to 2.0. I almost constantly wake up to a drained battery and high usage times. I thought about the push mail but I never had a problem w/ it on lower OS versions :confused:

8. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

now why would someone do that doesnt make any sense at all.:rolleyes:

9. heyp macrumors 6502

yeah i'm experiencing the same here too... i also have the fetch at an hour set... maybe it's something to do with that?

10. danny_w macrumors 601

I've experienced the same thing since upgrading my 1st gen to 2.0 firmware, but I haven't been able to find a pattern yet. I've tried disabling push, activesync, etc. to no avail. If anybody can find a solution I would be very happy to know what it is. Perhaps it is just another one of the myriad of 2.0 bugs.

11. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

It's probably a App running in the background, if you rebooted your phone chances are the usage would stop going up.

12. cantankerously macrumors regular

Same thing happened to me once. There was a program running in the background because you can see the little flower icon working. This kiiled my battery easy after a night of 6+ hours of usage/standby.

After that it never happened again. I am back to my almost full battery with 1hour usage and 12 hours standby.
    :)

13. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I have seen this problem on v1 iPhone as well as the new iPhone 3G (just upgraded last weekend). Honestly can't say if it was dependant on a particular firemare release or not, but probably. It happened on both my Wife's v1 and mine. After upgrading 1 of our phones last weekend to the 3G (mine) it happened to it (battery also drained fast during the day as well). I have since upgraded to the firmware 2.01 and have not seen the problem since. Last night I ran with 3G, Location Services, WiFi, full brightness (no auto) and now I have 29 min usage and 9 hours standby and I have been up for about 1 1/2 hours. I took it off the charger when I went to bed.

14. dixieD macrumors newbie

I agree since upgrading to 2.0.1 the usage seems to be more correctly reported, and my battery life has improved.

15. danny_w macrumors 601

I don't have any 3rd party apps on my phone, although I did have in the past. I may try upgrading tp the 2.01 firmware.

16. cubedweller macrumors 6502

It coud be WiFi

I had this problem with my original iPhone occasionally. It appears that the WiFi doesn't disconnect always when putting the phone to "sleep" and was draining the battery -- I woke up with it dead after going to sleep with a full charge. I've noticed this with the phone just sitting on my desk -- that the WiFi connection appears to still be active even when the phone is in "sleep" mode -- in fact, you can check your router logs to verify this.

I haven't experienced this with my iPhone 3G. In fact, battery life has been surprisingly good: 4-5hrs Usage / 1-1.5 Days Stand By with 3G and Location services on and Fetch set for 15 minutes.

Try manually disabling WiFi and see if your battery still drains. My guess is it won't.

~E

17. danny_w macrumors 601

Did you see this before 2.0? I have never had my battery drain so fast until I installed 2.0 software.

18. cubedweller macrumors 6502

This was pre-2.0. Maybe even pre-1.1.4. It didn't happen very often. Certainly not enough for me to take it into Apple. Just something that I noticed. I haven't seen it happen on 2.0 yet.

19. heyp macrumors 6502

has anyone determined the culprit? i was meaning to experiment last night but i forgot... but it happens consistently... i have wifi on, 3G on, bluetooth and location services off... maybe i'll just start turning the phone off at night

20. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I've had this happen with my 1st gen iPhone with pretty much every software release and also on my 3G. Doesn't happen all the time, but regularly enough that it's annoying.

21. heyp macrumors 6502

so i shut off wifi last night and lo and behold, i didn't get the dramatic increase in usage... however, my mail set at hourly fetch was not updated which i found interesting because it will update during the day while it's sleeping with wifi turned off

22. danny_w macrumors 601

Wifi has nothing to do with my problems. I shut off wifi and it continued to get the increased usage.

23. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

I'm experiencing these problems as well on a 2.1 iPhone 3G. But what I don't understand is that this problem should go away after a restore right? If it doesn't does that mean it's a hardware issue, but how could be hardware?

I'm confused as to what the problem here is... software or hardware.

snverhallen

24. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

25. mappyman macrumors regular

It happens when an App crashes.

Launch an app and if it fails to launch it dumps you to the springboard. That's the moment the battery will start draining.