Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do You Use These Features in iOS 8?

• Yes, I use the Quick-Pic/Audio Message Feature

Votes: 32 32.3%
  • No, I do not.

Votes: 67 67.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jww062

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2012
For me, using these new methods puts me on the spot. If I'm going to send someone a picture, I'd rather not feel like I'm under the gun with holding my thumb down and releasing/sending a message (or whatever gesture it is).

Also, the Microphone is very confusing. For my non-techy friends, they all said they thought it was dictation. And they said if there were going to talk, they would have called the person. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Audio-Messages are handy in certain scenarios, but I don't think it should have a dedicated icon on the Messages screen.

I use the audio messages only when I know the person I'm calling isn't going to answer, and I'm just going to end up leaving a VM anyway. Many of my friends are teachers, so if I need to leave them a message during the day, that's faster than waiting for their phone to dial, ring four times, and kick to voicemail.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I have tried them both. Audio could work for me as I have arthritis and fingers don't work as good as they use to. But, don't think recipients want to listen to them. Sooner read msg.

The video only comes up on front facing camera. Can't shoot a video of something while showing my face. How do you turn it to rear facing?

lrsone

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2012
New York, NY
Really? I'm on 8.3b, I don't see that option in Settings->Messages

It's under Audio Messages and Raise to Listen. I'm on Public Beta which is basically B3.
piD3b0Z.jpg

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
I have tried them both. Audio could work for me as I have arthritis and fingers don't work as good as they use to. But, don't think recipients want to listen to them. Sooner read msg.

The video only comes up on front facing camera. Can't shoot a video of something while showing my face. How do you turn it to rear facing?

When you hold your thumb on the Camera Icon, it defaults to the Front-Facing Camera. But, in the upper right-hand corner, there is the switch to flip the camera.

I feel like Apple designed that with "selfies" in mind. But anyone who has a teenage daughter knows that they rather use the Camera app, take 43 pictures and then choose the best one.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not unless I push the lock button. I rarely push the lock button. Extra wear on the moving parts.
I see. Yeah, I've certainly seen threads with people having issues with the phone doing unintended things as they are putting somewhere or after they do it, and a lot of the time it's because they don't lock it. Seems that's one of the main reasons why locking exists, to avoid any unintended things. I sort of get the wearing out of the moving parts in some sense, but avoiding using a button that is pretty much specifically there for those types of reasons, seems somewhat extreme as far as that goes.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I don't use ANY of the new features in iOS8. Not the widgets, the third party keyboards, the quick SMS reply (it's too quick and I miss the window of opportunity), or any of the other stuff so inconsequential that I can't even remember what it is. To think, this stuff slowed down the 4S to a crawl and none of it is essential IMO. To me, iOS8 is just a massively more buggy version of iOS7.

I'd say you're definitely missing out on the widgets. I use these quite often, especially Widget Tunes and Sports Alerts.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I never use any of them. Predictive text is switched off and I really wish I could turn off the audio message option.

Wow. Another thing I couldn't live without.

I'd say I save about half the amount of key strokes compared to what I used to have on iOS 7.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I use audio messages often. It's a nice alternative to Siri dictation when I need to send a message but can't use the keyboard (ie. while driving) and I need to say something that's tricky to dictate (like the name of a restaurant or whatever).

However, my wife finds it too hard to tap the little Play button on audio messages while she is driving, so I have to go back to dictation. With dictation, she can ask Siri to read it to her. With audio messages, there is no Siri function.

So I'm hopeful iOS 9 will improve the audio messages feature. I'd love to see it made as quick and easy to use as the "CB Radio" function on the old Nextel phones.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I use audio messages often. It's a nice alternative to Siri dictation when I need to send a message but can't use the keyboard (ie. while driving) and I need to say something that's tricky to dictate (like the name of a restaurant or whatever).

However, my wife finds it too hard to tap the little Play button on audio messages while she is driving, so I have to go back to dictation. With dictation, she can ask Siri to read it to her. With audio messages, there is no Siri function.

So I'm hopeful iOS 9 will improve the audio messages feature. I'd love to see it made as quick and easy to use as the "CB Radio" function on the old Nextel phones.
You'd think that Siri should simply play back the message instead of reading it if it's a voice message instead of a text message.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.