Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
Aren't there 3rd party chips that support USB 3.0? Dell, Asus and HP provide USB3.0 in their new laptops for less money as usual. It's not unreasonable to expect Apple to do the same and neither is it unreasonable to ask for USB 3.0 in the first place unless you change laptops every year. I suppose we could use express card add-ons but wait... we don't have that any more.

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
+1. Why does everyone want this so badly? The use case is very limited.
1. Apple has not adopted eSATA and dropped the expresscard slot from the smaller notebooks, so it would offer significantly faster transfer rates to/from external drives.
2. The machine is outdated once we hit 2011 and even Intel supports USB3.
3. Because of devices like this or this which are available now and were only made possible with USB3.

1080p video capture via HDMI or component straight into a laptop for $200 would be amazing. Too bad you can't do it with a Mac.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Aren't there 3rd party chips that support USB 3.0? Dell, Asus and HP provide USB3.0 in their new laptops for less money as usual. It's not unreasonable to expect Apple to do the same and neither is it unreasonable to ask for USB 3.0 in the first place unless you change laptops every year. I suppose we could use express card add-ons but wait... we don't have that any more.

But those NEC chips cost $8 each. It would be very unusual for Apple to lose that much profits buy using those chips. :D

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
OH WOW $8! I take it all back then, if Steven Jobs thinks the $8 is not worth spending then he is correct.

@dav521

Yes USB 3.0 is faster, 4.8gb/s vs 0.8 of FW800 and 3.0 of E-SATA

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
That's one of the reasons I don't like the UMBP (besides the hideous colors). My MBP has a single USB port on the left, and a single USB port on the right. Now a computer this expensive should have 3 or 4 USB ports, but at least I can use both at the same time :apple: FTW

This is a portable machine, you may use it on your desk too, but if you use it on your desk you can use a hub maybe?

Aug 26, 2008
+1. Nobody can reasonably expect Apple to have implemented 3.0 by now.

Why? Gigabyte implemented dedicated usb3 a few months ago on my p55 based board, which is the "budget consumer" line of chipsets. I guess Gigabyte (and every other PC manufacturer) is just way beyond Apple's engineering capability eh?

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Just say it....you know you want to.....

I'll do it for you...

"Because a huge part of the fun of owning a computer is having razor's edge technology that you can brag about. Apple has that 'high end' mystique about it. So the non-apple people now have 'ammo' to throw at Apple owners that's legit....Apple computers just don't have modern hardware, and that sucks."

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

tommyknockrs

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
What's wrong with USB 3.0 on x55/57 chipsets?

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16641/1/
"Coming in Q1 2010

Intel PM55 is the only chipset supporting Lynnfield processors, which include the current Core i5 and Nehalem-based Core i7 notebook chips. As of now, it is selling for $40 in quantities of 1,000.

Beginning in Q1 2010, Intel plans to launch an additional chipset within the x55 mainstream series (currently just P55) as well we three new x57 chipsets. The HM55 will match the PM55 in regards to price and it will sell for $40 in quantities of 1,000. Overall, this implies that there is not much difference between the two.

The HM57 chipset, as well as QM57 chipset, will both sell for $48 each in quantities of 1,000, while the top of the offer is the QS57 chipset that will sell for $53 in quantities of 1,000. Currently, the GS45 chipset is selling for the same price of $53, but this is a chipset for the Montevina-based Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Quad platform while x55 and x57 versions are tailored for the Calpella-based Core i5 and Core i7 notebook platform.

The x57 generation of chipsets feature support for Intel's new remote PC assistant technology. Most of the chipsets have Active Management Technology (AMT) 6.0 and feature 14 USB 2.0 ports, eights PCIe 2.0 ports (probably als at half speed) and six SATA 3Gb/s ports. On the other hand, the P55 series features 12 USB ports, eight PCIe 2.0 ports at half speed and six SATA 3Gb/s ports.
"

Thus these chipsets do not implement USB 3.0 ports

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16641/1/
"Coming in Q1 2010

Intel PM55 is the only chipset supporting Lynnfield processors, which include the current Core i5 and Nehalem-based Core i7 notebook chips. As of now, it is selling for $40 in quantities of 1,000.

Beginning in Q1 2010, Intel plans to launch an additional chipset within the x55 mainstream series (currently just P55) as well we three new x57 chipsets. The HM55 will match the PM55 in regards to price and it will sell for $40 in quantities of 1,000. Overall, this implies that there is not much difference between the two.

The HM57 chipset, as well as QM57 chipset, will both sell for $48 each in quantities of 1,000, while the top of the offer is the QS57 chipset that will sell for $53 in quantities of 1,000. Currently, the GS45 chipset is selling for the same price of $53, but this is a chipset for the Montevina-based Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Quad platform while x55 and x57 versions are tailored for the Calpella-based Core i5 and Core i7 notebook platform.

The x57 generation of chipsets feature support for Intel's new remote PC assistant technology. Most of the chipsets have Active Management Technology (AMT) 6.0 and feature 14 USB 2.0 ports, eights PCIe 2.0 ports (probably als at half speed) and six SATA 3Gb/s ports. On the other hand, the P55 series features 12 USB ports, eight PCIe 2.0 ports at half speed and six SATA 3Gb/s ports.
"

Thus these chipsets do not implement USB 3.0 ports
You go from the DMI PCIe lane limitations vs. SB8xx to the fact that Intel doesn't provide USB 3.0 on their chipsets. Please elaborate.

Are you running Dual GPUs on your MacBook Pro?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
:confused:

I'm pretty sure Gigabyte has USB 3.0 on their mobo\logic boards for a long time now. Asus also has USB 3.0 on their laptops.
Motherboard manufacturers are currently using a NEC based USB 3.0 controller. Texas Instruments plans on selling their own and ASUS stepped up as well.

AMD currently does not provide native USB 3.0 support on their chipsets but they do have native SATA 6.0 Gbps on their SB8xx line.

tommyknockrs

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
You go from the DMI PCIe lane limitations vs. SB8xx to the fact that Intel doesn't provide USB 3.0 on their chipsets. Please elaborate.

Are you running Dual GPUs on your MacBook Pro?

The point is that Intel is not supporting USB 3.0. They put PCI-e 2.0 on the chipset, but they are only using PCI-e 1.0 speeds. The first article might be incorrect to a point about the x58 chipset running at Full bandwidth for USB 3.0, since Intel limits the bandwidth. I'm sure someone can find a way to mod that and make their PCI-e bus run at full bandwidth. The stuff about Asus and Gigabyte in the article is just an example on how they are trying to utilize USB 3.0 in an expensive way, but still cannot guarantee full USB 3.0 spec bandwidth. This may be another reason for the Apple and AMD rumors, I think AMD has full USB 3.0 implementation on their chipsets (890GX ?). Apple is kind of restricted in what they can do if they use only Intel chips.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The point is that Intel is not supporting USB 3.0. They put PCI-e 2.0 on the chipset, but they are only using PCI-e 1.0 speeds. The first article might be incorrect to a point about the x58 chipset running at Full bandwidth for USB 3.0, since Intel limits the bandwidth. I'm sure someone can find a way to mod that and make their PCI-e bus run at full bandwidth. The stuff about Asus and Gigabyte in the article is just an example on how they are trying to utilize USB 3.0 in an expensive way, but still cannot guarantee full USB 3.0 spec bandwidth.
Accept the limitations of the x55/57 derivatives or go X58, etc.

This may be another reason for the Apple and AMD rumors, I think AMD has full USB 3.0 implementation on their chipsets (890GX ?). Apple is kind of restricted in what they can do if they use only Intel chips.
I believe you're confusing this with onboard USB 3.0 support. AMD has no native onboard USB 3.0 support on the SB8xx series.

What are the benefits of SATA 6.0 Gbps and USB 3.0 in use with dual GPUs on a portable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.