USB 3.0 and Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newConvert, Oct 24, 2009.

1. newConvert macrumors regular

Just seeing what peoples best guess is as to when both of these will be on a macbook pro? Thats my next upgrade, so I'm 2 years or so? Whats the best guess?

2. p3ncil macrumors regular

USB 3.0 probably.
    Blu-ray... don't think so.
    It's not even on the recent imacs.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

USB 3.0 is just a matter of time, Blu-Ray is...well who knows.

In two years I would imagine we will see the first and likely an option for the second.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think we'll see USB3 in mid 2010 in Mac Pros. As said above, Blu-Ray depends on Apple but if you ask me, it'll be as an option in next generation Mac Pros and then spread to other Macs as well.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Apple used to be known for their high quality products and earl adoption of new technologies. I think that's why a lot of people are bummed about the blu-ray, but USB will take a while - a year at the earliest - to see mainstream adoption (I think).

6. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

You will never see Blu-ray. It is never coming to any Mac in the future. If Apple wanted BR, it would have been on the Mac Pro 1-2 years ago. The new iMacs dont have BR, so I would say that Apple really has no interest in putting it in ANY computer. I am sure this is going to bring up a huge argument, but BR is going to be dead in a matter of years. We are moving away from discs, which is evident through iTunes HD downloads and Xbox HD downloads.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

IMO, not yet. After 100Mb/s or 1Gb/s bandwidth is a standard, then we will see transition from physical media to digital media. E.g. Quantum of Solace in 1080p weights ~9GB and download time of that with 2Mb/s bandwidth (which is a standard for average consumer) is 10 hours*. That's not comfortable time to wait to see a movie... I think in 2012 transition will start (some movies only offered on net) and 2015 at the earliest, ~80% of physical will be digital only. Of course this is just my guess and opinion

9GB = 9 000 000KB
    2Mb/s = 250KB/s (2 000:8=250)

9x10⁶ : 250 = 36 000 (seconds)
    36 000 : 60 = 600 (minutes)
    600 : 60 = 10 (hours)

That's theoretical maximum download speed, real world speed depends on configuration. Let me know if something ain't right

8. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

USB 3.0 won't even be included on Intel chips until 2011, so until then, its useless.

Blu-Ray may never happen. HDCP is a nasty protocol. If OSX never supports it, I'd be happy. Content creators have no right to mess with my electronics and my media that way

9. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

And that is still not BD quality, most movies weigh in around 25GB for just the movie alone, there are some exceptions like Transformers 2 which is about 47GB and I am told it looks fantastic. I will admit these ~8GB rips look great and are a good improvement over DVD they don't touch BD.
    I agree with you that internet speeds are going to have to vastly improve for the internet model to actually become viable. Hardly anyone in the USA has really good high speed internet and the IPs keep looking at putting caps in place and what not for heavy downloaders. Not to mention the pain of DRM from legally purchased online content, where as with a disc I can just lend it to a friend or take it with me wherever very easily.

But for the most part I don't ever watch movies on my computer, that's for the big screen, I really don't have a use for an optical drive especially in my laptop.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I agree. Rips are never as good as original. I have PS3 and Blu-Rays looks awesome on it, especially on my dad's 1080p Mitsubishi video projector and 5.1 sound (5 x Genelec 8020B and 1 x Genelec 7050B). I've used my SuperDrive only few times and those were OS X installs, so I'm not in need of Blu-Ray but IMO it should be an option for people who wants it

11. iSlave macrumors 6502

I don't know why people are saying that Blu-Ray will "never" appear in a Mac, it's ridiculous to suggest that such a prominent technology will somehow be permanently overlooked. Rumours were that Blu-Ray was dropped at the last minute from the current release of new iMacs, so you should seriously think about the possibility that it will be included in the next refresh in 6 months time.

By then the Mac Pro would've been updated to include it first, then maybe Macbook Pros...

Like it or not, Apple will have to include Blu-Ray fairly soon as it's sorely lagging behind PCs in this respect. Downloads are not set to take over from physical media this year, next year, or even the year after (if ever) so until then expect Blu-Ray to appear.

12. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Well, I think the simpler explanation is that as the release date approaches for these products, the rumors become more prevalent and correct. Someone guessed Blu-Ray was finally coming (because its huge and prevalent and macs should have it blah blah) and then, they were wrong. Its easy to say then that it was dropped last minute instead of never considered at all.

13. iSlave macrumors 6502

The iMac upgrade to 1080p (and above) screen resolutions, and the glaring lack of content to play on them, is somewhat telling that there may well have been more to the Blu-Ray absence than just another rumour.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iTunes? If they add Blu-Ray, people would buy them instead of iTunes content and iTunes makes HUGE amount of money for Apple

15. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

They're large screens! to not have 1080p would have drawn more criticism!! "This 27" iMac that cost me $2500 isn't even 1080p? What a POS"

Until Blu-Ray is no longer a "Bag-of-Hurt", it won't be on the mac

16. cube macrumors G5

It's not useless. There are discrete USB 3.0 controller chips from other companies.

4 external drives have already been announced, starting to be available this month.

17. iSlave macrumors 6502

Well, we're all just making assumptions and guesses here, but personally I honestly believe Blu-Ray will appear in the Mac line-up by the end of 2010. This is based on -

1. The rumour of Blu-Ray dropped at the last minute from iMacs.
    2. The rumour of an upcoming release of iTunes that recognised Blu-Ray discs that circulated not long ago.
    3. Blu-Ray support added to Final Cut Pro 7.

Again, just rumours, but so was the Magic Mouse about a year ago when the patent application for it appeared on this site. As for iTunes, yes Apple make a lot of money from it, but on a technical level the HD downloads aren't up to the standard of a Blu-Ray Disc. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong...but we'll see I suppose.

18. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Maybe I am wrong here but doesn't Apple make money off hardware sales, iTunes basically makes nothing but it helps to sell iPods?
    If Apple can update the Apple TV to 1080p and offer some sort of subscription method for movies and TV shows then maybe I could see leaving BD out.

19. p3ncil macrumors regular

Intel will hinder support but NEC chipsets for 3.0 USB is out..

You never know apple and intel and what they can come up with.

20. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I usually rent movies before I buy them so iTunes is nice as I don't have to worry about driving to return the movie... if I like it enough to buy, I'd like to be able to have the option to get it in BR if I choose too...

On other thing about BR, I like watching for the movie but rarely only watch the FX stuff more than once... they need to release a "movie only" version at a lower price point and a "full" version so the consumers have a choice...

21. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

They'll eventually get Blu-Ray in my opinion. USB 3.0 is a given, we're just a couple years away.

22. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

You do know that Apple has already implemented HDCP in its entire laptop lineup, right?

Heck, Apple even has some of its iTunes content sold with HDCP copy protection already!

23. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

If you want BR, just buy a BR player and watch it on your TV.

What's the obsession with watching BR on a laptop or 22" screen? HD...even DVD is good enough IMO. Just look at the popularity of 700MB movie rips via torrents. Horrible quality, yet people love them.

Also, one of the big sells points of BR is the improved audio quality. Anyone have speakers that would take advantage of that? Your $150 logitech's don't count.

Not to mention movies via optical drive = airplane taking off.

24. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

+1

(love the airplane taking off part. hahaha)