Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
So I want to buy a new external hard drive that's portable and fast. The Firewire800 drives that don't require power only go up to about 640GB, and ideally I want a 1TB...

Going back to your original posting -- there are FW800 2.5" drive housings available that take 12.5mm high drives. No wall wart needed. Then, get a 1 tb 2.5" drive (true, there aren't many out there, but there are some), and you're good. Installating the drive is easy.

http://oyendigital.com/hard-drives/store/CB2-M.html

There may be other enclosures, but this is the only one I know about.

Then wait for USB3.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Going back to your original posting -- there are FW800 2.5" drive housings available that take 12.5mm high drives. No wall wart needed. Then, get a 1 tb 2.5" drive (true, there aren't many out there, but there are some), and you're good. Installating the drive is easy.

Thanks for being the ONLY productive response. Do you own one of these? The only concern is that I've read other postings where people have had issues with these having enough power from a MBP (either by single USB or FW800) to where they have to use an external power when using a 640GB or 1TB drive in it... hence why they don't seem to be commonplace in the portable drives so far (assumption). Furthering this concern is the fact that the link you sent also sells a power cord, which seems to point to the fact that the above may have validity.

Thoughts? Thanks again!

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
Everyone here is so angry! How many of you complaining about no USB 3.0 in the next refresh were actually going to buy a new macbook with same specs as they are now for the most part just to get an "upgraded" USB 3.0??

Would you throw your old 2.0 drives away so you can only use the fast ones?

Backup or restore when you go to bed at night when you wake up, its done, no difference between 20 min or 2 hours....

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
How many of you complaining about no USB 3.0 in the next refresh were actually going to buy a new macbook with same specs as they are now for the most part just to get an "upgraded" USB 3.0??

Would you throw your old 2.0 drives away so you can only use the fast ones?

Backup or restore when you go to bed at night when you wake up, its done, no difference between 20 min or 2 hours....

To answer:

a) YES, I'll upgrade if that's the ONLY thing that gets added to a new model, it's THAT important to ME.

b) YES, well NO, I wouldn't throw them away, but I'd immediately replace all 3 of my external drives with 3.0 drives and sell the old.

c) NO, that might work for YOU if it's a drive for backup, but for many, drives serve as real-time video editing, or constant backup of certain changing items that a simple "set it and let it go" doesn't handle.

The anger on here is because people automatically put others down because they assume everyone should think and act like they do, and don't respect the opinions nor the fact that everyone has different uses for technology. Furthermore, it seems like there are people that are proactively negative about any progress in technology, who will say something to put down anything because it makes them feel better about not having the latest computer anymore... it's like people who were negative about MP3 when everything about MP3 is superior to a big spinning plastic disk in the computer... but people were negative just because the nature of weak human kind is fear of change.... or so I think... I need to stop making everything a psych analysis, haha

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Learn a little about technology yourself. HP and Dell are using the same chip sets from Intel as Apple does yet they have USB 3.0. If Intel chip set does not support USB 3.0 it does not mean that laptop using this chipset can not support USB 3.0. Apple just need to use extra controller chip from NEC or other provider and the price of this chip according to this article is about $2.

You actually need to learn about technology. They are not intel chipsets they are separate chipsets with USB 3.0 functionality. How do I know? I have an open Dell on my workbench at the moment. go buy a Dell or hp with USB 3.0 on it and open it up, its a separate controller.

Edit: After rereading your post you contradicted yourself. You first say that its the same intel chipset and mention its a second controller :/

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Thanks for being the ONLY productive response. Do you own one of these? The only concern is that I've read other postings where people have had issues with these having enough power from a MBP (either by single USB or FW800) to where they have to use an external power when using a 640GB or 1TB drive in it... hence why they don't seem to be commonplace in the portable drives so far (assumption). Furthering this concern is the fact that the link you sent also sells a power cord, which seems to point to the fact that the above may have validity.

Thoughts? Thanks again!

I have the earlier version of the Oyen Digital enclosure (9 mm drives only) with a Seagate 500gb 7200 drive in it. It's been fine without any external power.

I can't offer any information about larger capacity drives and their power draw. I've had reason to contact Oyen, and have found them helpful. I'm sure they can answer your question.

Oyen's site does offer a 1 TB drive in their case, and for this one, the external power supply is still optional. That strongly implies that you don't really need it, even for a 1 TB drive.

http://oyendigital.com/hard-drives/store/CB2-52-1000-M.html

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
It's a $5 part. Make it a $50 CTO option to replace the FW800 slot and I'll be the first in line and that's a 1000% profit on the part :)

Yes. Thanks for stating facts. I'm glad you understand how much it costs to implement USB 3.0 to the MBP line.

Clearly, for those buying laptops now the best option is to have USB 3.0. It's backward compatible with USB 2.0 (and I believe some of the ports on those laptops are actually USB 2.0) so there is absolutely no downside to buying USB 3.0 equipped laptop.

Why not address what I specifically stated in my post? Why not wait a year for better technology, instead of having one year of USB3.

We should try and reduce products that are 'left behind'. Especially from Light Peak which seems to be vastly superior in every single way.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Yes. Thanks for stating facts. I'm glad you understand how much it costs to implement USB 3.0 to the MBP line.

Why not address what I specifically stated in my post? Why not wait a year for better technology, instead of having one year of USB3.

We should try and reduce products that are 'left behind'. Especially from Light Peak which seems to be vastly superior in every single way.

The end result is that Apple users are always using outdated tech: no USB 3.0, no BluRay, no RGB LED screens, no quad core CPUs in laptops, old and rather underwhelming graphic cards, no RAIDs in laptops. All Apple gives us is solid, middle of the road, very uninspiring laptops.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
The end result is that Apple users are always using outdated tech: no USB 3.0, no BluRay, no RGB LED screens, no quad core CPUs in laptops, old and rather underwhelming graphic cards, no RAIDs in laptops. All Apple gives us is solid, middle of the road, very uninspiring laptops.

Because hardware specs is the largest selling factor of MBPs? Right.

Don't you have anywhere else to be other than a MBP forum? Maybe a forum for your hobbies?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
It's a $5 part. Make it a $50 CTO option to replace the FW800 slot and I'll be the first in line and that's a 1000% profit on the part :)

Well, then you have either 2 USB 2.0 ports and a single USB 3.0 port. Confusing for the consumer. Or you integrate the controller so that all of the ports are USB 3.0, but then you have to have another motherboard produced too, which will dip into Apple's profits.

Apple manages to have 30% profit margins and increased planned obsoleteness by NOT adding USB 3.0. If you add USB 3.0 right now, it will increase the useful life expectancy of the computer, and cost Apple a sale. Apple's in this for the profit. Giving you USB 3.0 now when they can get away with not putting it in yet, isn't in their best interests.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
OP what do you mean when you say USB 3.0 "everywhere" accept Apple? I don't see USB 3.0 in any notebooks as Intel's chipset isn't designed with that in mind as of yet. If any notebooks have it there are limited amounts, there's not much choice for anyone so what do you mean, "everywhere"?

There are plenty of notebooks with USB 3.0. Even in January before the 2010 MBP was announced.

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Intel is betting on Light Peak. I wouldn't pony up money for a USB3 drive just yet.

I won't be buying anything else but USB 3.0 drives from this day forward.

The new Dell Studios just announced have USB 3.0 as well. HP Elite books have had two USB 3.0 ports for months. The new Sony F series refresh.

By March even $500 craptops peddled on the Home Shopping Network will have USB 3.0

Basically in 60 days USB 2.0 drives will be in full liquidation and the USB 3.0 replacements from WD, Seagate, Toshiba and La Cie stocked everywhere.

Well, then you have either 2 USB 2.0 ports and a single USB 3.0 port. Confusing for the consumer.

Unlike that mini-Display Port instead of an HDMI.

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
The fact that some low end Dell or HP doesn't have it is no excuse, since when were those computers the yardstick anyway.

deus ex machina

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
No loss of anger here at macrumors.

USB3 has been about, like SATA6 for quite a bit of time for those who like to assemble our own computers. It would be nice to see them in MBPs, hopefully soon (eSATA would have been nice...) . I would argue that backups are performed as a downtime endeavor, were speed is not as critical. Heck, it takes a long time to backup 1TB regardless of the interface.

As already pointed out, Seagate is offering the GoFlex series of drives, which can include FW800 (49.99 extra MSRP....yeesh).

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Because hardware specs is the largest selling factor of MBPs? Right.

Don't you have anywhere else to be other than a MBP forum? Maybe a forum for your hobbies?

So, you are admitting that MBPs have so-so hardware then. Why don't you just say it? Are you really interested in my hobbies?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Aww... good point... I know you're likely right, but I hope you're wrong, lol. I really want to be on the 3.0 now after seeing the demo in the store. If it's reliant on the chipset, how do many of the HP, Dell, Acer, and Lenovo already have USB? If it's already available, it seems like it'd be a good excuse for Steve to announce "oh, and here's a couple small changes to the MBP... USB 3.0, 1440x900 resolution, and more memory" ... a cheap and easy refresh that'd be good enough to get me to buy... actually either USB 3.0 or 1440x900 would be enough for me to buy.

they probably have controller cards. every time a new storage/IO tech comes out and before Intel adds it to their chipset Dell/HP and others will sell computers with controller cards for that tech.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Understood but that doesn't explain why apple won't adopt what's clearly now a standard.

Far from standard.

USB3 is radically different from USB2.

in fact, USB3 supports USB2 simply by including a branch in the USB3 hardware, kind of a piggy back.

You will get = performance with SATA, for 1/4 the price.

Thoughts? Thanks again!

I have this:
http://eshop.macsales.com/search/DIY+On-The-Go

FW800 powered 2.5" drive. Works great, looks cool.
1TB available.

owcmo8urear.gif

owcmstg800u2bottom.jpg

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Far from standard.

USB3 is radically different from USB2.

in fact, USB3 supports USB2 simply by including a branch in the USB3 hardware, kind of a piggy back.

You will get = performance with SATA, for 1/4 the price.

USB 3.0 is a standard. The specs can be found here. One can debate whether it is a "standard" in terms of acceptance by various PC manufacturers but that's a different matter.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
USB 3.0 is a standard. The specs can be found here. One can debate whether it is a "standard" in terms of acceptance by various PC manufacturers but that's a different matter.

Ah, misunderstood the applied definition of standard.

Yes, it is an Industry Standard, all the specs are in, and it is in production.

It is not "standard" equipment, however.
Yes, it is showing up, but in a relative small number of products.
2011 will be year of USB3

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Why are people so argumentative on here? The fact is USB3.0 is HERE and is relevant today. Sure there may be a new technology down the road, but when every other high end manufacturer of PC is including it, and it's up to 10x the speed of USB2.0, and every major hard drive manufacturer is building it as standard on their drives, why are people so against adding it to a MBP, even if it's an add-on option as a built to order?

It's so strange how so many people live their life fearing change. As MAC users, you'd think we'd be the pioneers for change. The FACT of the matter is that fiber optic communications technology in a desktop isn't in the cards in the next year, and CERTAINLY isn't going to be mainstream by 2012 in laptops.

Today we have USB 3... a technology that'd increase productivity in file transfers immensely, at little extra cost in a laptop. Apple was 2 years ahead of the game in the stupid expresscard slot, and look where that got them. A simple stroll down the laptop and portable hard drive section in any computer retailer is all the evidence needed that USB3 is here and for at least 1-3 years will be the driving technology in external storage... until solid state and fiber communications methods catch up. Keep in mind, 3 years ago the iPhone original was the hot ticket... SSD 8GB drives were hot, and the iPad was a pipe dream.... technology changes fast, and we have to be able to change with it. Right now, 3.0 is the way to go... at least until something better comes out. Apple is dynamic, they do 2 refreshes a year, so to say they're waiting... for what? In the spring 2011 refresh there won't be anything better than Usb3.... nor will there be in Fall 2011... and many people like me are waiting to upgrade until usb3 is added. They're losing a lot of market for limiting themselves.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
and many people like me are waiting to upgrade until usb3 is added. They're losing a lot of market for limiting themselves.

Then your choices are simple. Either wait until Intel includes USB 3 in to their chipsets and Apple has had a chance to incorporate it in to their systems or buy one of the Windows laptops that has USB 3.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006

Then wait for USB3.

Ordered it today :) Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.