USB 3.0 for Imac's? When?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zulkiflim, Oct 18, 2010.

1. zulkiflim macrumors regular

zulkiflim

Heya

Intend to buy a new mac but was wondering what is the rate of Apple adoption of new technology?

USB 3.0 i think is a must.

Any ideas or rumors?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Not before Intel implements it into its chipsets, thus early 2011.

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about the same issue and may solve your question.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

4. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I would hope that it would be sooner rather than later. It is not obvious why it is taking so long other than the fact that Intel would prefer to support its own technology and not USB

5. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

Intel has planned all of this carefully to ensure that LightPeak makes USB 3.0 dead on mainstream arrival. Apple knows this, so it is no big surprise that they are putting no extra effort to bring USB 3.0 to the masses before Intel does.

6. joaoferro99 macrumors member

just my 0.02 cents here. why it's a must? nothing really fancy for the usb 3.
    your printer doesnt need usb3, your monitor doesnt need usb 3, mouse, no, keyboard no.... external drive? well, sata 6G is plenty enough and faster than usb 3, and cheaper and more reliable, and Mac OSX has bulit-in SATA driver, piece in mind for not dealing with any 3rd party faulty driver. your scanner doesnt need usb3, webcam, no. I know there are more professionals need faster speed but the pro guys would not use iMac but MacPro right?

7. zulkiflim thread starter macrumors regular

zulkiflim

Heya

i think this would answer this , right?

http://www.everythingusb.com/superspeed-usb.html

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Early 2011 (Sandy Bridge) or early 2012 (Ivy Bridge). It's still unsure whether Intel 6-series chipsets (Sandy Bridge) will support USB 3.0 or not. We'll see in CES which is held between 6th and 9th of January 2011.

9. filfortugno macrumors regular

you'll be waiting

remember how long it took apple to implement usb? lol years, so until the majority of devices use usb 3.0 as standard you'll be waiting for it. My prediction is summer 2011 or the first quarter of 2012

10. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

USB 1.1, the first widely implemented USB version, was announced in 1998. The iMac was the first desktop computer to ditch legacy ports in favor of USB, and was released... in 1998.