USB 3 Caddy

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Big Ron, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Big Ron macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Can anyone suggest, with links if possible, a USB 3 external caddy that would compliment my new iMac?:confused:

I have an external SATA 3.5" drive that I would like to use as backup etc. I am a PC convert but I am underwhelmed by the boring blacks and whites abundantly available.:apple:

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

3. Big Ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Thanks for the prompt reply FreakinEurekan, they do look very nice I must admit.

I want to permanently house the drive, I already have a dock. The ones you suggest will need sourcing from the UK but its an excellent steer.

4. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Another alternative is the LaCie d2, it has both an USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt ports.
    [​IMG]

5. Big Ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Again very nice.

Does anyone have suggestions on just the caddy?

I already have the drive, i'm just looking for the enclosure:D

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Go to amazon.com (I will guess they have that in the UK?)

In the search bar, enter
    USB3 SATA dock

You will get plenty of hits.

For the fastest speed, you want a dock that has either of the following controller chips:
    ASMedia 1051e
    or
    ASMedia 1053

Not all the product descriptions tell you this information.

Not sure if their products are available in the UK, but a company called plugable.com offers a 3.5" drive dock with that controller chip. Go to their website and search "products" and you will find it.

I believe Thermaltake also offers a dock (Called "BlacX") with the ASMedia chip.

7. Big Ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Thanks Fishrrman, I shall check that out.

Amazon in the UK, as do Ebay, have plenty of cheap looking cases, I wanted to pay that bit more extra for one that would compliment my new Mac.

I'll keep looking.:D

8. thedeske, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013

thedeske macrumors 6502a

Thermaltake BlacX 5G USB3.0 UASP External Drive Dock

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Another possibly is MacAlly. I have three of their eSATA/FW800/USB2 cases that have been running 24/7 for a year or two (I lose track) without problems. I just checked their site - they also offer the same case, but with USB 3.0 (with and without FW800). Looks like this will be out soon: http://www.macally.com/EN/?page_id=8541

A +1 for OWC (MacSales). I've never had a problem with their products.

Make sure you have the latest OS and firmware updates, especially for the MBP Retina models.

If you need a USB 3 hub, the Plugable 7-port works well for me. Plugable actively tests their products with Macs, something that can't be said for other vendors. From the research I did before buying this one, the 3.0 hubs seems to have had issues in the past with both PC and Mac. Plugable seemed to offer the most reliable product (including their own recent firmware update addressing Mac compatibility). For Macs, the latest OS and firmware updates seem to have addressed overall USB 3.0 reliability.

10. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Here's another great looking option, probably what I'll use with my Mac Mini when I outgrow the internal storage but it'd look great with an iMac too:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ministack

11. Big Ron thread starter macrumors 6502

Big Ron

Thanks, I really like the look of the Macally enclosure, and the price is about right too. I'm ready to purchase, thanks for your advice everyone.:D:D