USB 3 device being shown as USB 2 in Haswell iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by yjchua95, Oct 17, 2013.

1. yjchua95 macrumors 604

G'day y'all.

I just got myself a USB 3.0 Archgon MH 3507HUB and was hoping to obtain transfer speeds of around 90-105 MB/s.

However, I only got speeds of roughly 30MB/s.

A quick check in System Information showed that the hub was being detected as a USB 2 device, although the product is specced with USB 3.

I use a Haswell iMac with USB 3.0 ports.

Attached is a screenshot.

Is there a possibility that I've been had?

Attached Files:

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Plug the drive directly into the iMac, not the hub.

Edit: Just noticed, it is not just a hub but a hub with a built-in drive. In that case, my cunning plan won't work :-(

3. yjchua95 thread starter macrumors 604

Yea, it's a hub with a SATA connector to put a 3.5" or 2.5" hard drive into it. The hub itself also contains 3 USB 3 ports.

Here's the hub: http://www.archgon.com/Web_en/MH-3507-II.html

4. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Can you take out the drive and just have the hub plugged in? What does it say, then? And try adding a USB 3 device to the hub as well. I wonder if it's something odd with the drive dragging the hub down to USB2

5. yjchua95 thread starter macrumors 604

With nothing in the hub, it's still being identified as USB 2.0. Even with a Buffalo HD-PA1.0TU3 external drive connected to it, it still states USB 2.0.

I already contacted the vendor about this, and they say they'll ship me a replacement.

6. Bear macrumors G3

This doesn't look like your issue, but I thought I'd point it out just in case. In Using USB 3 devices on Mac computers FAQ it states:
    So if a USB controller in a Mac sees a non USB 3.0 device first, data transfer speeds will be capped at USB 2.0 speeds. iMacs have 2 USB controllers.

After some more thought, if it saw the keyboard first, that would limit the bus speed. Try plugging your disk into a different USB port on the iMac.