Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Hello
Last week I've bought on Amazon a product:

USB C Adapters for MacBook Pro/Air,Mac Dongle with 3 USB Port,USB C to HDMI, USB C to RJ45 Ethernet,MOKiN 9 in 1 USB C to HDMI Adapter,100W Pd Charging, USB C to SD/TF Card Reader USB C Hub​

I use it only to connect to Ethernet and power my new MacBook Air 2021
I use it around half an hour per day. The rest time it's only connected but not used.
I noticed that from time to time it has a problem with Power. Once in around 3 days I see a message:
----
On Hold: 83%
Power Source: Power Adapter
Charging on Hold (Rarely Used On Battery)
Charge To Full Now
-----
If I click on 'Charge To Full Now' it started to charge for a few days and then again the same.
Hence my question: does it mean that my Adapter is defective or it's 'a nature' of powering using USB C Adapter or etc?
Could you please help me with it?
I will attach 2 screenshots for demo of the message
Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 2.34.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 2.34.03 PM.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 8.41.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 8.41.15 AM.png
    214.8 KB · Views: 110

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Hello

USB C Adapters for MacBook Pro/Air,Mac Dongle with 3 USB Port,USB C to HDMI, USB C to RJ45 Ethernet,MOKiN 9 in 1 USB C to HDMI Adapter,100W Pd Charging, USB C to SD/TF Card Reader USB C Hub​

I use it around half an hour per day. The rest time it's only connected but not used.
I noticed that from time to time it has a problem with Power. Once in around 3 days I see a message:
----
Charge To Full Now
-----
If I click on 'Charge To Full Now' it started to charge for a few days and then again the same.
Hence my question: does it mean that my Adapter is defective or it's 'a nature' of powering using USB C Adapter or etc?
Thanks

I believe that's just Apple's intelligent battery management looking out for your battery health in the background - no need for concern.

Reactions: Susja

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Hello

----
Charge To Full Now
-----
Thanks

You are lucky....that is what is supposed to happen, provided you have Optimised Battery Charging checked here:

Screenshot 2022-04-27 at 19.20.32.png

Mine is not checked because it has never worked for me, so I do similar with a third party AlDente app.

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Folks,
One thing came to my mind ...
You mentioned that my case has nothing to do with Adapter and thus battery/power handling is designed by MacOS. I double checked and charged it to Full again and next day it dropped again till 80%.
1. I did nothing and noticed that next day it was still at the same 80%. I think this is the prove that it was still charging ... otherwise it should be discharged for a day. Does it make sense to you?
2. For the same of experiment I could disconnect it from the hub and connect Apple power adapter directly to MacBook . In case your explanation is correct it should also drop charge till 80% in some while and keep it at the same level. Does it make sense to you?

Thanks

Susja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
You are lucky....that is what is supposed to happen, provided you have Optimised Battery Charging checked here:

View attachment 1997471

Mine is not checked because it has never worked for me, so I do similar with a third party AlDente app.
Well ... to prove you suggestion I decided to experiment and disconnected my Hub and connected laptop directly to Apple Original power adapter. It charged till 100% and still stays at this power and doesn't drop to 80% like I have with the Hub. I checked that 'Optimized battery charging' option was selected in my settings. Doesn't it contradict your proposal? It sounds to me that drop in % is caused by Hub and not Apple design .. What do you think?
Thanks
P.S. I think you could disregard my previous message because in a day I noticed that it dropped % to 80% being directly powered with Apple adapter and not hub

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.