USB-C Adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Macbook14in, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Macbook14in macrumors regular

My gf recently purchased the new Macbook in Rose Gold color. And she basically just wants a simple adapter (as small as possible) that allows her to charge her iPhone or plug a USB stick (not at the same time), plus be able to charge the laptop at the same time, aka passthrough.

What is the best adapter with this requirements? Preferably the one with Rose Gold color and high quality

2. deeddawg, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016

deeddawg macrumors 604

3. hokieputter macrumors newbie

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

I've read good stuff on the Shuttle -- just note not all the versions have power passthrough. It's pretty clear if you read the descriptions, just pointing it out so nobody makes a wrong assumption.

5. nutmac macrumors 68040

6. hokieputter macrumors newbie

Yep. Good thing to point out. There is a good diagram in the Amazon link outlining the different models available. The one linked above does have the passthrough.

7. izzyfanto macrumors regular

izzyfanto

This is the one I ordered, seems to be perfect size to just leave snapped onto the end of my flash drive. Few reviews were slightly wonky, but a lot of people said it was great. I went with the majority. Hopefully they're right.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Mine seemed a bit wonky when I got it. I was preparing to return it.

Then I actually pushed it into the socket until it clicked, as a couple reviews mentioned.

It's worked perfectly once I figured that part out. So do chalk up some of the reviews as probably eye-dee-ten-tee errors as mine would have been had I not had one more go of it.

9. izzyfanto macrumors regular

izzyfanto

Sweet, that was my working hypothesis. Thanks for confirming ;-)

10. Macbook14in thread starter macrumors regular

I want no more 1 USB port, that will be used either to charge my iPhone or transfer files from/to USB stick not at the same time.

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

Okay. I don't think anyone misunderstood that request.

I've only seen ONE option for a single-port adapter with power passthrough and I linked to it above. Generally any company making an adapter with power passthrough seems to add additional ports and size. People can't suggest stuff that doesn't exist.

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

13. Macbook14in thread starter macrumors regular

14. Bigmacduck macrumors regular

I am hoping that the new development of MOFLY Marble DCS will soon see the light of the day. The webpage states that it will be in May on Kickstarter.
    http://www.marbledcs.com
    It is a portable USB-C Docking & 60 Watt Charging Station in two versions:

DCS1<
    - USB-A 3.0 (2x)
    - USB-C (2x)
    - Micro SD reader (1x)
    - HDMI Type A (1x)

DCS2
    - USB-A 3.0 (2x)
    - USB-C (2x)
    - Micro SD reader (1x)
    - HDMI Type D (1x)
    - Mini Display Port (1x)

I do not miss any ports When I am on the move, but in the Office I would like to be on a charger and connected a monitor and Wired LAN. Also as I am often carrying an iPhone and iPad Pro (used as 2nd monitor with Duet Display), i would like to use one charger for all devices.
    Has anyone heard about the launch date of this product?

15. Macbook14in, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016

Macbook14in thread starter macrumors regular

I still have not found a USB-C adapter that allows me to charge my iPhone, while the Macbook is also charging.... I don't want a bulky one, this is the only occasion when I will be needing to use it

Is there any adapter that looks like the one from Satechi adapter below, but with USB-C charging, HDMI & the regular USB charging instead?
    [​IMG]

16. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The smallest/cheapest ones I've found are Apple's own "video adapters"

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204360

Either the "USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter" or the "USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter". Both $79, both include a USB-C "charging" port, a USB-A "standard" port (for you to plug in your iPhone,) plus a video-out port. (Either HDMI or VGA.)

That's the only one I know of that supplies power to the USB-A port enough to charge a phone.

17. Mikel30 macrumors member

I'm still waiting for a hub with more than 1 USB C port. Type C is just going to become more and more common, and I don't want to have to buy another one once most peripherals are using C.

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

Well, right now my rMB is plugged into one side of my Anker PowerPort2 using this cable. My phone is charging on the other port with a standard lightning cable. Granted it'll only feed about 10W to the rMB, but that's enough for an overnight charge, or to top it up while busy with other stuff, or keep it fully charged while using it.

19. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

20. crewkid89 macrumors regular

crewkid89

The Hootoo hub available on Amazon has a dedicated charging port on it. I plugged in my iPhone to double check and both are charging simultaneously.

21. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

The SUPRENT USB-C to USB-A HUB Adapter maybe? Must admit I may have misunderstood and that it does not provide charging of iPhone connected to the USB-A though.

22. Jayderek macrumors 6502

Jayderek

I recommend this as well. I received mine yesterday and it works in the situation you need

23. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I need the integrated Ethernet adapter for my solution, but the Minix one has gotten really mixed reviews.

24. Macbook14in thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, this adapter doesnt allow charging your iPhone

25. Macbook14in, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016

Macbook14in thread starter macrumors regular