Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I'm looking to purchase a wall charger that's fast charging capable for the iPhone X/8. I know that the device needs to charge via USB-C to a lightning and the charger has to support the Power Delivery standard. I have a charger in mind, but not entirely sure that it will charge at it's maximum fast charging speed.

Does anyone know the wattage and amp requirements to get the most of out a fast charger for the iPhone X/8?

dodocool-60w-6port-usb-pd-charger-side.jpg

Here's a picture of the charger I have in mind. It's a DODOCOOL DA124. It supports USB-C PD

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I found the image for Apple's official fast charger compatible power brick. It's listed as 14.5v @ 2amps for USB-C PD output.

Apple_FastCharger.jpg

Not sure how to read the specs for the charger I'm interested in buying above. It reads
5V==3A/9V==3A/15V==2A for USB-C output.

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
What’s your source for this info?
I have lightning to usb C cable from Amazon and it seems to work fine for fast charging.
The source for the info is that literally only Apple makes a certified USB C to Lightning cable, which guarantees its power delivery specs and safety. Unlike Lightning cables which can be found certified at many places like Best Buy or from Amazon’s own brand, Apple has not certified any other USB C to Lightning cables besides their own and that means that iOS may detect the cable and not let the phone use it - you may have seen the message pop up before when using an uncertified lightning cable “This accessory may not be supported.” iOS is built to look for certified accessories so Apple can guarantee the safety and specs when using them with iOS.

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
The source for the info is that literally only Apple makes a certified USB C to Lightning cable, which guarantees its power delivery specs and safety. Unlike Lightning cables which can be found certified at many places like Best Buy or from Amazon’s own brand, Apple has not certified any other USB C to Lightning cables besides their own and that means that iOS may detect the cable and not let the phone use it - you may have seen the message pop up before when using an uncertified lightning cable “This accessory may not be supported.” iOS is built to look for certified accessories so Apple can guarantee the safety and specs when using them with iOS.
I haven’t received the message or warning, but I don’t think it’s a certified Apple accessory. I’ll have to test how fast it charges to see if there’s a real difference from the regular iPad charging brick. I just know it’s faster than the regular brick that comes in the box.

zaro

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2017
Los Angeles

This...also as posted on Apple @ https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208137 and numerous articles including theverge https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/3/...rging-usb-c-lighting-power-brick-cable-how-to

"If you want to get a USB-C to Lightning cable, you’ll need to get one from Apple. Full stop. Apple controls the Lightning side of the specification, and it hasn’t allowed third-party manufacturers to make their own USB-C to Lightning cables yet.
Given that this is a cable you’ll be plugging into a $1,000-plus dollar phone on one end and a high-powered charger designed to pass as much charge as possible in the shortest amount of time on the other, I cannot emphasize enough that I recommend you play it safe and stick with Apple’s offerings here.
Hopefully one day Apple will open up the floodgates and let authorized third-party Lightning to USB-C cables exist, but for now, you’re stuck with two options: Apple’s one meter cable, or Apple’s two meter cable."

I bought a power delivery from Amazon and the cable from Apple. Cable is surprisingly solid and heavy duty feeling. Charges 1-50% insanely fast. Then 50-100% is programmed to charge a bit slower for safety reasons. There may be some off brands that function okay for this purpose, but better to play it safe at this point IMO (it's a lot of power you're dealing with)

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks. Didn’t realize the difference between the standard usb/lighting and the c.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I haven’t received the message or warning, but I don’t think it’s a certified Apple accessory. I’ll have to test how fast it charges to see if there’s a real difference from the regular iPad charging brick. I just know it’s faster than the regular brick that comes in the box.

If it's not official Apple cable it doesn't do fast charging, end of.
[doublepost=1510775232][/doublepost]
I'm looking to purchase a wall charger that's fast charging capable for the iPhone X/8. I know that the device needs to charge via USB-C to a lightning and the charger has to support the Power Delivery standard. I have a charger in mind, but not entirely sure that it will charge at it's maximum fast charging speed.

Does anyone know the wattage and amp requirements to get the most of out a fast charger for the iPhone X/8?

View attachment 735280

Here's a picture of the charger I have in mind. It's a DODOCOOL DA124. It supports USB-C PD

The fastest speed is actually 18w (lot's of mis information in this thread) you need something that can do 9v at 2amp to achieve that, which isn't this charger. This will do 14.5v at 1amp like Apple's 29w charger (yes the spec on the charger says it can go up to 14.5v at 2amp but it DOESN'T this is too much for the small battery) so the official charger and this one will do 15w.

The 60w and 87w charges will do 18w (or just slightly under) so they are the fastest, but Ankers 29w chargers will also do 9v at 2amp (which Apple's can't) and thus will also do 18w.

All this is verified with a USB-C VA meter.

Reactions: jocamero

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
That's what I use as my go to charging setup for iPad Pro/7+/8+/X.

It's a shame Apple's charger doesn't work as well for the iPhones as it does for the iPad.

I couldn't advise anyone buy this over any of the other 29w chargers on the market that can do 9v/2a they'll be faster for iPad Pro and iPhone combined.

Deltaray21

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2017
But will it be bad for the iPhone battery over time?

I don't see why it would? They wouldn't have made it a feature if it had ill-effects in the long run. Maybe if you used 3rd party charges to achieve the same results.

As far as I know, your iPhone/iPad will regulate the amount of energy it gets from the charger. If your device gets too hot for some reason, it automatically lowers the usage. And if you're the type of person that changes devices every 2-3 years, you'd be on a new one by the time you see any significant downsides.

Roddly

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
The usb-c to lightning cable will be reverse engineered, if it hasn’t already, just like every other Apple proprietary cable.

geekdll

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2017
The usb-c to lightning cable will be reverse engineered, if it hasn’t already, just like every other Apple proprietary cable.

If patents are in place they wont be able to sell them anyways.
[doublepost=1510794419][/doublepost]
It's a shame Apple's charger doesn't work as well for the iPhones as it does for the iPad.

I couldn't advise anyone buy this over any of the other 29w chargers on the market that can do 9v/2a they'll be faster for iPad Pro and iPhone combined.

If thats true then this should work well for both the ipad pro and iphone x https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074C2VZ2T/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: urbanwoodsman

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
If patents are in place they wont be able to sell them anyways.
[doublepost=1510794419][/doublepost]

If thats true then this should work well for both the ipad pro and iphone x https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074C2VZ2T/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The key specs you want to look for at 9v at 2amp (18w) and 14.v at 2amp (29w) then it'll do both, most likely cheaper than the Apple one.

One of my best recommendations is this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Macally-HO...id=1510854179&sr=1-1&keywords=macally+charger

A bunch of 5v 2.4amp USBs for up to 12w charging of normal devices and then enough to fast charge iPhone X, iPad Pros at full speed - and MacBook and 13" MacBook Pro. It'll even charge my 15" MacBook Pro during use quite easily.

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
Y’all dont need Apple’s $50+ wall chargers for this... just their cable and a third party charger would be way more cost effective and the full speed achieved.

starstreak

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2004
I was at two different apple stores. One had the 29w adapter and the other had the usb-c to thunderbolt 2m cable. The store that had the adapter said it would be no problem. Just that he ran out of the cord. The second store said the apple techs are saying not to charge your iphoneX with the power adapter to your iPhone as it would burn it out as it would send too much power to the iPhone. I was under the impression that the iPhone request how much power it needs and takes it from the cable. So no overpower. There’s a power regulator, right?

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
I was at two different apple stores. One had the 29w adapter and the other had the usb-c to thunderbolt 2m cable. The store that had the adapter said it would be no problem. Just that he ran out of the cord. The second store said the apple techs are saying not to charge your iphoneX with the power adapter to your iPhone as it would burn it out as it would send too much power to the iPhone. I was under the impression that the iPhone request how much power it needs and takes it from the cable. So no overpower. There’s a power regulator, right?
Correct. iPhone only draws the max it needs. Modern batteries don’t ever take more power than needed, and they can’t overcharge from being left on the charger. Charge your phone as long as you want as many times as you want. Also note you don’t need that expensive 29W charger. Any USB C charger with Power Delivery 3 and 18W or more will do it, so buy one for 60% cheaper on amazon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.