Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Lets wait for android users to hear that the Pro models goes thunderbolt from the start, while android users have usbC for a decade and still without it..
Exactly the USB features would pull me back before the interface

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
The “No more multiple cords to carry” is just laughable.

Sure if you’re planning on ditching slightly older but perfectly capable devices and buying all new.

Great move for the environment! But even better for Tim’s bank account.
What if you're upgrading from an older device? Lots of folks kicking around with 8s and Xs ready to upgrade as those lose support, and if they already have a macbook that's newer than 2016 and/or any of the newer ipads they get the common cable as a bonus.

Not everyone, not even most people, are upgrading from their previous year's phone - and the people who are probably are going to do so anyway if they already upgrade yearly.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Also, if USB-C to Ethernet adapters work on the phone then it opens up more possibilities for apps like car coding and diagnostic apps.
Given that I can already use the lightning camera adapter --> USB to use any Ethernet adapter that works natively on my mac and that I can use USBC ethernet dongles without any adapter on my ipad air the same way I can say with near absolute certainty that those will work

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I suspect many android users don't use their usb-c cable for anything beyond charging, and so don't even know what transfer speed their charging cable has (it's likely 2.0 if they are still using the bundled cable). Mostly likely don't sideload, except maybe by accident. You don't miss what you don't need.

I can personally think of a couple of reasons to switch.

1) Third party apps. Your phone is likely the computer you spend the most time with, the majority of that time is likely spent in apps, and I feel that iOS apps are generally superior to android apps in terms of design, polish, or just plain availability. That said, do be prepared to pay for the good stuff.

2) The inability to sideload on iOS is not necessarily a bad thing, because it's one less vector of attack for scams. It's funny when my bank recently announced that their banking app is not going to work if it detects sideloaded apps on the user's android device. There was quite a bit of uproar over this, but they are standing by their decision (for now).

3) You may pay more upfront for an iPhone, but you do get better build quality and longer software support, so it can be worth it in the long term if you intend to hold on to it for 3-4 years. While one can argue that the same money could get you 2 android phones, what does it say when you are essentially generating twice the amount of landfill ultimately (and materials like plastic tend to be harder to recycle than metal)?

4) The ecosystem. Maybe you have held out on iMessage for as long as you can. Maybe you just want to be able to airdrop photos to the people around you or FaceTime someone with ease. That time is now. It's also the gateway into getting the Apple Watch and AirPods. Maybe an Apple TV or 2, and even an iPad while you are at it. And once you are in, you will never want to leave. :D

Apple attracting more switchers over the years is no fluke. Apple is clearly doing something right to appeal to current android users. I am still trying to understand the exact reasons why this is so, but I expect this trend to continue. :)
4 is by far the one that will pull me back to Apple. Or if they would at least get some sore of speed upgrade for 15/+. Doesn't have to be TB, but at least go faster than ancient 2

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
It'll be nice to see USB-C on it, but I'm worried it'll be a lot easier to break than lightning. It's also a bit larger, and that kinda sucks.

I definitely prefer Lightning interface wise. If it would break which has never happened, it would be the cable you replace and not the port. And I can literally lift the phone by the cable, and it won't fall out. Look at some USB-C funny and they fall out

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
I am genuinely trying to understand why does this even matters. Seriously.

What is so good about USB-C that will make you upgrade from an iPhone 11 or later to this.
1 usb-c cable for all devices bro vs 1 cable only for iPhone, and another cable for everything else. Seems that a usb-c port on a phone is more desirable to non-tech people than would immediately be apparent.

HudsonSteele

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2016
I don't hate the Idea of a unified phone charger, but I am worried about how it will affect developement of new technologies. What if we come up with a killer new way of quick charing a device in minutes, but now a company is stuck with USB-C and can't implement until bureaucrats get it together to change something. That NEVER goes quickly.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
What if we come up with a killer new way of quick charing a device in minutes, but now a company is stuck with USB-C and can't implement until bureaucrats get it together to change something.

That's not very likely.

Any significant increase in charging speed would be mainly about new battery tech, not the connector - the latest USB Power Delivery specs allow for up to 240W (c.f. most current phone 'fast' chargers at 20-30W) and are backward-compatible with the 100W spec mandated by the EU. If someone develops a new phone sized super-capacitor battery that can suck power at 240W, USB-C is not a barrier.

...and if you want to go all wireless (pierce screen protector and microwave phone on high for 5 minutes?) or use fuel cells (barkeep! a beer for me, and a double vodka for my phone...) the EU directive probably doesn't apply either (basically if you have a wire then it must be USB-C).

Part of the point of the EU directive is not just to standardise the connector but to adopt the USB PD power supply protocols - most phones have been chargeable from USB since forever, but in the past they were using different 'fast charging' standards so that, if you weren't using a the manufacturer's proprietary charger you only got a trickle charge at the 2.5W USB 2 minimum.

It's also worth noting that the new "240W" translates to 5A at 48V - much more than that and you'll be running into safety problems (not to mention power bricks the size of a shoebox and stiff bulky cables).

Reactions: seek3r

Pinkyyy 💜🍎

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2023
Egypt
Not once have I ever heard an Android user say they would have gotten an iPhone if it had a USB C port. If someone wanted an iPhone before, the charging cable was not going to be a reason to get an Android phone instead.
Yep I totally agree. I just switched from Android this year and got an iPhone 14 Pro Max. I don’t care that much about the charging port.
I switched to iPhone because there are other things I liked about it. The charging port was never really something that I kept in mind.

applefan8254

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2023
The addition of usb-c helps. But letting users place icons anywhere that they choose on the home screens would help even more.
I'm on Android, and I kind of wish nova launcher had a "center of gravity" or "center of magnetism" like how iOS icons are "attracted" to a corner in doc mode sorted left to right top to bottom. That way you kind of can see what the "most important" icon is by looking at the icons closest to that area. And the option to place icons anywhere is fine, just wish we had a similar setup option to iOS without the janky third party launchers, or at least a "legit" launcher with the option

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.