Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brolfsen83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Can someone recommend a good USB-C mag safe connector. I want to get one to put in the USB-C port in the hinge of the Magic Keyboard.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Can someone recommend a good USB-C mag safe connector. I want to get one to put in the USB-C port in the hinge of the Magic Keyboard.
I use this one from MagaBolt. It can be used in a pinch for data, but is more like regular USB 3 rather than the faster speeds claimed. The “MagSafe“ feature works well, though.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I just got one from Amazon that’s listed under various names (mine says ‘Raviad’). Unfortunately when it’s used in the hinge port it says ‘not charging’. Works fine in the ipad’s own port, but that’s not really much use to me. Oh well.

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly

I’ve found that the Leonis USB-C Magnetic Charger Charging Cable (87w) from amazon works great when connected through the hinge port for pass-through charging. I use it in conjunction with a 30-watt brick. Using anything lower than 30 doesn’t work with the cable for pass-through.

Reactions: BeatCrazy

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I purchased the HOGORE USB C adapter. I do not recommend it as confirmed with my conversation via facebook messages with them. It about ⅛ of inch too long (its oval in shape) so when you close the keyboard it prevents the one side from fully closing. If you push down on the keyboard it will close but then i think it puts to much pressure on the USBC Connectio.
usbUSUSB
IMG_0604.jpeg
IMG_0605.jpeg

Reactions: BeatCrazy

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
I’ve found that the Leonis USB-C Magnetic Charger Charging Cable (87w) from amazon works great when connected through the hinge port for pass-through charging. I use it in conjunction with a 30-watt brick. Using anything lower than 30 doesn’t work with the cable for pass-through.

Thanks. Just ordered one from Amazon.

Reactions: beach bum

brolfsen83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
I don't really understand why some work in the actual iPad Pro USB C port but not in the MK hinge port. Anyone have any reason why? Also has anyone found one that works consistently with the hinge port on the MK yet? I want to hold off on buying one until I know it works correctly. Thanks!

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
The problem lies more with the physical size of the connector that stays behind in the Magic KeyBoard. The ones that are oval are about ⅛” to long and they interfere with the MKB when closed to prevent a flush closing without forcing. When you force it (slight pressure) it seems to put a strain on the hing. As posted before:
IMG_0605.jpeg

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
80375202-97AB-4D32-990F-01587944947A.jpeg

This is the one I bought. It’s available under many different brand names - look for the LED light on the plug, the shape of the connector and the concentric circles on the magnetic tip. The magnetic tip is circular and fits perfectly into the hinge port, but unfortunately it does not charge the iPad. It’s completely useless for the Magic Keyboard.

Reactions: Davidalan

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
View attachment 912165
This is the one I bought. It’s available under many different brand names - look for the LED light on the plug, the shape of the connector and the concentric circles on the magnetic tip. The magnetic tip is circular and fits perfectly into the hinge port, but unfortunately it does not charge the iPad. It’s completely useless for the Magic Keyboard.
Nuts i was looking at that, thanks for the input

911jason

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2020
Simi Valley, California
I was also looking for one for the same purpose, but after going down the review rabbit hole on Amazon, I was hesitant to try any of them. Someone on Reddit (I think) posted about the Vinpok Bolt, so I ended up ordering that one. They ship from China, though, so I won’t have it to review for about a month.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
View attachment 912165
What wattage is your power plug? I'm wondering if you have to use a 30w charger as mentioned in another post?

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
What wattage is your power plug? I'm wondering if you have to use a 30w charger as mentioned in another post?
I just used the one that came with the ipad, whatever that may be. I’m not buying an additional power supply on the offchance it might make my cheap USB lead work.

Also I find I’m using the iPad unplugged pretty much exclusively (because the cable that came with it is so ridiculously short) and I don’t find I’m running out of battery power all that often, so I’ve given up on the idea of a Magsafe equivalent. I just leave it on the floor to charge, firmly tethered a couple of feet away from the wall socket, as Apple clearly intended.

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
I bought two of these. They work with both my iPad Pro/Magic Keyboard and oth my 15 & 16 inch Macbook Pros. Love em.

Elecjet Magnetic USB C to C Charging Cable Adapter for MacBook Pro/Air, iPad Pro, 87W PD Fast Charger for Galaxy S10/ S9/ S8/ Note 10, Google Pixel Cellphones, Dell XPS, Type-C Devices, 6.6ft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083DSN8QW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tau_VrE0EbS3T0E2H
How do these do for data and not just power? Do they work with magic keyboard case for iPad Pro?

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
How do these do for data and not just power? Do they work with magic keyboard case for iPad Pro?
From what I can tell, they do not work for data. They do work on any USB-C device...and I can leave the magnetic adapter in the Magic Keyboard case and it works great.

911jason

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2020
Simi Valley, California
My Vinpok works great for charging via the Magic Keyboard port, and I also leave the tip in 24/7. That port only supports charging anyway, so I haven’t attempted any data transfer using the magnetic cable.

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014

911jason

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2020
Simi Valley, California
Anyone try this one? I'm moving from mid-2015 rMBP to late 2019 16" rMBP and refusing to give up Mag safe

I would be concerned about the shape of that one, at least if you’re planning to leave it plugged in to the Magic Keyboard port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.