USB Modem Blues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cornchild, Jun 25, 2007.

1. cornchild macrumors newbie

I got my first Mac a few months back. A beautiful 24'' iMac. Its a wonderful machine. Also I had to purchase a usb modem as I live out in a rural area that does not offer any other internet service.

The problem began to happen just this week. The modem when dialing is making this cracking popping sound like its got a bad connection. I checked the wall jack etc. I also took the phone line and plugged it into my old windows machine to see if it also got the same issue. The PC connected clearly and fast without any problems.

That narrowed the problem down to the USB modem. I called the support line, but was told I would need to buy apple care or a 49 dollar phone support call "the price of a new usb modem....". That was not very helpful at all.

My fear is that if I buy another usb modem its just going to die in a few months like this one did.

So I am at a crossroad to either take that plunge or buy one of the previous model airport extreme stations with the built-in modem that may be a bit better built.

What do you think?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I've had one since last fall and not had any problems with it. I don't use it often for dial-up (just during power-failure), but have used it dozens of times for faxing.

If it's less than 1 year old, it's still under warranty. Sounds like they were trying to sell you the "after 90 days" phone support. That wouldn't apply to a defective item, as far as I know. If you have an Apple Store nearby, just bring it in - they'll probably just give you a new one.

3. denisgreen macrumors newbie

USB modem problems

I have had similar problems since I purchased an MBP a year ago. When I use win XP in bootcamp there is no problem . Same phone line same modem a few minutes later It is worse in hot weather. I must use dialup as I am 18k from the telephone exchange. Satellite is expensive at the moment. I know this sounds weird but putting the modem in the fridge for 10 minutes works sometimes. I cannot sell my iBook because it is the only reliable modem I have. Apple was no help and just tried to flog Applecare. The USB modem is OK at the moment as the weather is cold. The poor modem would stop me buying another Mac.
    denis