USB Overload on MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Huntn, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Guys, I'm a gamer on my MacBookPro using some peripherals while running Windows7. I've found the 2 USB ports to be limiting. I'm using a Headset/mic in the headset port, no problem. One of the USB ports is taken up by an external drive where I keep my Steam (Windows) games. I've got a mouse and Razer Nostromo game pad that I've plugged into a Rocketfish 4 port USB Hub.

I've been playing Skyrim via Windows 7 for about 4 months without any issues, but since I've hooked up the Nostromo and mouse via the USB Hub, the game is hard freezing. This Rocketfish USB hub plugs into a USB port and does not have it's own power source. I'm wondering if this could be the issue, that there is not enough juice to go around between the two devices.
    Any ideas? Thanks!
    -Dave

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... particularly given the fact you are running your Steam games from a USB drive. I would try out a powered USB hub.

3. Huntn, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I guess the other possibility would be to move my Windows Steam install to my internal hard drive. I've got 120 GB free space on my bootcamp drive and 20GB of games in Steam. It's a go! :) I'll report back.

4. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks Lenny. I was familiar. Here's the link I used. No problems other than when I tried to stick the Steam folder in the Program folder, Windows insisted making it "read only" although I tried several times under property manager to change that. Finally I ended up putting the Steam folder on the top level of my C, err Bootcamp drive. Now I just have to check out the game and see if that made a difference. :)

Oh, you know you can remove local content in Steam of all the games you are not playing? :)