USB to Serial Adapter doesn't work on Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by legendzm, Jul 19, 2011.

1. legendzm macrumors member

7/19/11 7:29:13.000 AM kernel: 0 0 AppleUSBCDC: start - initDevice failed
    7/19/11 7:32:43.000 AM kernel: 0 0 AppleUSBCDC: start - initDevice failed
    7/19/11 7:37:14.000 AM kernel: 0 0 AppleUSBCDC: start - initDevice failed
    7/19/11 7:45:41.000 AM kernel: 0 0 AppleUSBCDC: start - initDevice failed

USB-Serial Controller D:

Product ID: 0x2008
    Vendor ID: 0x0557 (ATEN International Co. Ltd.)
    Version: 3.00
    Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
    Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.
    Location ID: 0xfa140000 / 6
    Current Available (mA): 500
    Current Required (mA): 100

any ideas?!

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I don't know how to solve your problem, but if it's any comfort to know, Apple didn't kill USB to serial adapters in Lion. Just tested it with a Laserjet 6MP. I have a Belkin adapter, though.

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Probable cause is the driver kext is 32-bit while Lion has a 64-bit kernel. You may need to install the 64-bit kext.

4. coollai macrumors newbie

Mine works well in Lion.

USB-Serial Controller:

Product ID: 0x2303
    Vendor ID: 0x067b (Prolific Technology, Inc.)
    Version: 3.00
    Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
    Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.
    Location ID: 0xfa132000 / 8
    Current Available (mA): 500
    Current Required (mA): 100

You can try updating your driver here: http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

5. deancs macrumors newbie

I am having issues with prolific 2303

I had the current driver installed and reinstalled it after lion upgrade. Device is seen by OSX (as per below), however I am unable to correctly read the serial port. I have tried terminal/screen, goSerial.app as well as my java based monitoring app. The serial device attached sends an XML stream every 6 seconds and the incoming data is received however its not legible. Any ideas ?

Code:
    USB-Serial Controller:

Product ID:	0x2303
      Vendor ID:	0x067b  (Prolific Technology, Inc.)
      Version:	3.00
      Speed:	Up to 12 Mb/sec
      Manufacturer:	Prolific Technology Inc.
      Location ID:	0x04100000 / 2
      Current Available (mA):	500
      Current Required (mA):	100

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Data received but not legible? Sounds like wrong baud rate.

7. rsd99 macrumors newbie

Have you had any luck with this?

8. deancs macrumors newbie

Thats what i thought, but its allways been 9600 8-none-1. Tried all baud rates just to be sure ans the results are the same.

9. legendzm thread starter macrumors member

regardless of what I do, when I go to system preferences and click the + to add the USB Serial Controller, it does not appear as an option from the list

10. legendzm thread starter macrumors member

Have already installed 64bit Kext.

11. deancs, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

deancs macrumors newbie

I setup a snow leopard virtual machine under lion (using virtualbox). Assigned my prolific usb device to the VM and installed same prolific driver as I installed under lion. Tested serial access using goSerial.app and as well as my Java based data-collector.

This configuration works just fine. The SL VM is running a 32bit kernel

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

is this for a terminal connection? That's about the only thing I can think you would still need a serial cable for

13. gr8tfly, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

There are many more devices that use them. I have an Amateur Radio transiver that can be controlled via a serial connection. I use a Keyspan adapter for that. I also need to separately control the transmitter, and I use an IOGEAR adapter for that. There are also instruments, controllers for r/c (gyros, motor, chargers), etc.

To upgrade, I downloaded the new Prolific driver (for the 2303 chip, ProlificUsbSerial.kext). The problem with that was it had a different vendor and device ID. I found some info on how to get he driver to work with a different brand - though still using the Prolific driver. The trick was to patch the device and vendor IDs into the driver's Info.plist. Note, the info in the Mac System Profiler/Info is in HEX - the IDs in the plist are decimal.

Once that patch was done, I was able to use the adapter in both 64-bit and 32-bit. I figured if I got it working in 64-bit in SL, it should work in Lion. The good news is I just tested it, and it does indeed work in Lion. (whew - those adapters were my one big worry about updating)

Edit: note: My old friend ZTerm is now a Universal binary. Thought that was going to go the way of Rosetta. The device I currently use it with is to receive data from a CW decoder (Morse code) connected to the audio from my radio receiver.

14. legendzm thread starter macrumors member

15. gentlefury macrumors 68030

16. legendzm thread starter macrumors member

USB to Serial Dongle, I personally use it for configuring switches/routers

17. gentlefury macrumors 68030

thats what I figured. Glad you got it working!

18. rsd99 macrumors newbie

works for me too :) i don't know what i would do without mine. In my Cisco lab i was able to use reverse telnet from one of my router's aux ports, but when i am onsite working on a router, i don't have that privilege....some customers don't like you messing with production stuff during the day. Thanks again for the tip.

19. Zyrtec macrumors newbie

Yes, thank you gr8tfly very much, this was really the right solution for me !
    You really make me happy :)

Zyrtec

20. Zyrtec macrumors newbie

21. gcarey3 macrumors newbie

I followed that guide but found a few minor changes were needed.

First, the parameters in Info.plist were idProduct and idVendor in the Prolific driver version I downloaded (1.4.0). They were easy to spot though.

The decimal values given worked as-is for me since I also have the ATEN adapter.

One more thing, to reload the extension I used the following:

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ProlificUsbSerial.kext

It wouldn't work with the /Contents/Info.plist added on the end like it was specified; that threw an error.

22. JonesMatt macrumors newbie

I know this thread is getting old and that you guys already seems to have gotten this working, but I just wanted to mention that I have had several Prolific based usb to serial adapters, most of them have been problemetic. I recently bought a FTDI based usb serial adapter and it installed without any problems. What I have read other places is that the Prolific drivers and chipset is a low cost product which is why it often causes problems. The FTDI drivers apparrently should be a better quality.

23. Photovore macrumors regular

Old thread indeed, but I wish to post:

I had the problem with an old Keyspan USA-28X adapter; the driver (v.2.5, c 2007) doesn't work past OS X 10.6.x --

However, the adapters are now being made again -- by TrippLite. They have a new driver which officially supports only (among 2-port models) the newer USA-28XG. There is a little notice, however, in the installer program, that other adapters may well work; they're just not supported.

WELL, the new driver worked for me in my lab under 10.7.5; read the old USA-28X just fine. Problem solved for me!

Go to tripplite.com, look for that product and the support page; the newer driver is there....