Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacfreak85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2007
So, with all these different versions of USB and Firewire going around, which one truly is the fastest?

It was my understanding that the list went like this (from slowest to fastest)

USB 1
USB 2
Firewire 400
Firewire 800

Is that correct?

Are there any other benefits of firewire or USB? Ive heard the new intel macs can boot from a USB drive now.
So what are the pros and cons of each?

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
see for yourself

If you have an external HD that supports USB2 and FW400, you can see the difference for yourself. Download XBench, and run the disk test against the external HD, once using FW400 and once using USB2. Typically FW400 is faster than USB2 for external HDs, and uses less CPU.

Synchro

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2005
France
If you're talking about external HDs, go firewire. USB2 maxes out at about 12Mb/sec in real life (I think I saw a report once of it doing 17), but firewire 400 on the exact same drive will give you 25+ and I've had 50Mb/sec peaks. Firewire can also deliver way more power, so you're much less likely to need external PSUs. Apple have never shipped a machine that didn't provide firewire with power (i.e. 6-pin connectors).

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I just purchased a USB 2.0 and FW 400 external HD enclosure.

I timed it transferring a 12GB file. FW was about 2.5 times faster than USB.

As someone mentioned already, FW 400 is much better than USB 2.0 for sustained transfer speeds. The reason for this speed difference is the different way FW and USB is implemented.

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Another good example is transfering video from my Sony Handycam.

With USB the transfered video is choppy and very low quality, I think it drops frames a lot. With FW, it is very smooth and the video quality is as high as the camera allows.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
FW800 Is Twice As Fast As FW400 Which Is 3 Times As Fast As USB2

USB1
FW400
USB2
FW800

USB 2 is slightly faster than FW400.
No it is NOT. USB2 is very slow and should only be used to access music, data and movie archives. FW800 is twice as fast as FW400 which is much faster than USB2. Only according to the specification is USB2 faster and that does not translate into any working reality at all. Reality is USB2 is DOG SLOW period.
Another good example is transfering video from my Sony Handycam.

With USB the transfered video is choppy and very low quality, I think it drops frames a lot. With FW, it is very smooth and the video quality is as high as the camera allows.
You are NEVER supposed to transfer video with USB2. That port is only to transfer STILLS from the camcorder.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I go with USB2 for external drives, as OSX shuts the drive off when not in use. FW seems to always on. I don't like that and I've noticed no real world speed limitation through using USB2...

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
FW > USB that is for sure. Oh and Mac > Windows for multiple transfers! I did a test the other day, I transferred about 100GB's worth of data in multiple folders using my Mac and my friends windows PC (not simultaneously mind you) and Windows could only do a max of 4 transfers before crapping out. My Mac on the other hand had transfers running from the top of my screen to the bottom of my screen and then some and it was all smooth and stable. Though it could be attributed to me using FW on my Mac and USB2 on the PC.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
yea FW is clearly the winner.. even over USB2.0..
it also has a clear advantage because of the power it can provide watt-wise. usb is 1.5w?? FW is 60w??? i think...

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Here's the result of my tests.

ExternalHDtests-1.jpg

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Given that my airport will work on the 802.11n, should i get a faster drive like a Firewire 400, and if so how can i connect it to my airport extreme?
Only USB drives will work with the Airport Extreme. There shouldn't be any problem with the drive going to sleep, but I don't have personal experience with it so I'll let someone else comment on that.

georgi0

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2006
Cyberspace
Only USB drives will work with the Airport Extreme. There shouldn't be any problem with the drive going to sleep, but I don't have personal experience with it so I'll let someone else comment on that.

do you think that a USB 2.0 hub palys a part in delaying the tranfer if you have it shared with another hard disk and a printer all attached on the airport extreme USB port ?

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I go with USB2 for external drives, as OSX shuts the drive off when not in use. FW seems to always on. I don't like that and I've noticed no real world speed limitation through using USB2...

That has nothing to do with Firewire itself, its just your firewire drives have a cheap chipset that doesn't support the feature. Most FW drives will spin down after a period of inactivity.

yea FW is clearly the winner.. even over USB2.0..
it also has a clear advantage because of the power it can provide watt-wise. usb is 1.5w?? FW is 60w??? i think...
The wattage supplied by the connection has nothing to do with it. The drives we are talking about here all have their own external power source.

And wikipedia
Typically a device can pull about 7 to 8 watts from the port ; however, the voltage varies significantly from different devices.[11] Voltage is specified as unregulated and should nominally be about 25 Volts (range 24 to 30). Apple's implementation on laptops is typically related to battery power and can be as low as 9V and more likely about 12 Volts.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
do you think that a USB 2.0 hub palys a part in delaying the tranfer if you have it shared with another hard disk and a printer all attached on the airport extreme USB port ?
The hub only reduces the speed if the other devices are also transferring data. If both hard drives are transferring data at the same time, you'll get about 50% of the speed you'd get if only one was transferring. A printer doesn't transfer enough data to noticeably affect the situation you're describing.

georgi0

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2006
Cyberspace
The hub only reduces the speed if the other devices are also transferring data. If both hard drives are transferring data at the same time, you'll get about 50% of the speed you'd get if only one was transferring. A printer doesn't transfer enough data to noticeably affect the situation you're describing.

tnx,
can you reccoment a quiet and auto power off or spin down USB 2,0 external disk as well as a Firewire one?

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
it depends on what size you're looking for and what price range.

~$200 - 750 GB Maxtor here: http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4141246

~$150 - 500 GB Maxtor (but USB 2.0 ONLY) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822144069

~$135 - 320 GB Seagate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148237

Those are a few suggestions, look around at newegg.com and see what you like. I'd be fine with any of the name brands, Seagate, Maxtor, Western Digital, my personal favorite is LaCie.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
The wattage supplied by the connection has nothing to do with it. The drives we are talking about here all have their own external power source.
QUOTE]

i know that, i was just stating that the wattage is a key advantage in that it allows for much higher power supplies to be allowed for different and more demanding peripherals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.