usb wont pick up iphone, iphone stuck at loading on apple logo screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BSAA Dman, Jan 18, 2010.

1. BSAA Dman macrumors newbie

well i recently got my 16gig iphone jailbroken (the one with the silver back and the bottom is black) and i was going to unlock it aswell but then when i hooked up my iphone to itunes it said usb not recognized it would do that before and after a few tries it would work but now it doesnt want to pick it up at all and now the charger wont even charge my iphone so my bro for some chose the erase all content option and the iphone froze after it finished it stayed on the apple logo and wont load and i cant recover it because the usb wont pick it up so my question is: Is it the usb cable that is messed up or is the the iphones dock connecter that is messed up????

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

3. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Erase all... should be only done when returning the phone to Apple. Restore your phone in DFU MODE if possible.

5. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

hold the top and home button till the phone turns off (make sure its unplugged from the computer). once its turned off. plug in the phone (to the computer) and continue to hold the home button. U may have to hold for a minute or so.. but it should eventually pop up in itunes saying that the phone needs to be restored..

6. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Yes, DFU mode, that's what the clip above demonstrates

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I know, but I was also mentioning not to do the erase all, ever. Supposedly, it shouldn't matter, since you can do the restore in DFU mode, but there have been many who haven't been able to get that to work.

8. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I quite agree Aggie. I wasn't getting at you, just trying to get the OP to view the video.

9. BSAA Dman thread starter macrumors newbie

i just tried going to DFU mode but itunes doesnt respond, i gonna try using a friends usb cable to see if its just my usb cable thats messed up or its the iphones usb connecter thats messed

10. BSAA Dman thread starter macrumors newbie

i just tried using a different usb cable and it gives me the same problem "USB device not recognized" is there a store other than apple that can fix my iphones problem???:confused:

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Your problem is not hardware related; it's because you did an erase all. You either get it in DFU mode or you're SOL.

12. BSAA Dman thread starter macrumors newbie

i guess im SOL cuz my iphone wont go to DFU mode :mad:

13. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

What computer and operating system are you using?

Don't give up hope yet, the phone has no choice but to try to go into DFU mode, but I remember there was a problem with some macs and versions of OSX which stopped it being able to.

14. BSAA Dman thread starter macrumors newbie

ive tried it on windows 7 and windows xp

15. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Hmmm, I've heard of iPhone/usb problems with 64-bit windows, could that be it?

Can you try it on another PC?

What do you see happen when you try to go into DFU mode following the video clip?

16. BSAA Dman thread starter macrumors newbie

ive already tried it on two pcs....... my iphone shuts off leaving the screen black while im still holding the home button and when i look at itunes nothing happens

17. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Can Device Manager see it at that point?

It should be listed in the USB Controllers list, is it there and if so what is its description?

18. BSAA Dman thread starter macrumors newbie

it says unknown device when i try putting it in recovery mode but i havent checked what it says when trying to put it in DFU mode

19. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

i think i know the problem....it doesnt recognize the iphone which could mean the drivers are corrupt. try using it on a friends computer.

20. BSAA Dman thread starter macrumors newbie

im not sure if thats the problem ive already tried using a friends pc and still no luck :(

21. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

It should use a different driver in DFU mode.

22. BSAA Dman thread starter macrumors newbie

i just checked on device manager to see what pops up while trying to go to dfu mode but the iphone doesnt appear not even to say unkown device. what should i do???

23. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Wrong. Read the rest of the thread next time.

This is because you erased all. Don't worry about it showing up in device manager, because it won't until you restore it.

Like we've said above, you have to get it into DFU mode. Do it over and over, until it takes and make sure you do it right. However, it may never take, and you're SOL. It happens.

24. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I will contradict Aggie here (at my peril !!) and say that if you get it into DFU mode it will load the DFU-mode driver, so Device Manager should see it.

Try getting into DFU mode whilst having the PC's headphones/speakers on. You should hear the device connection sound at the end of the 10 second hold, keep the button on hold until you do even if it's a bit longer. (Watch the video once more to prepare yourself.) Then check Device Manager again. You should see 'Apple Mobile Device (DFU Mode).' At this stage the phone is not bothered what firmware is on it, if any. It is just in a state where it will wipe itself and put in a completely fresh firmware.

If that driver does not load then either the phone is gone for good with a hardware fault, or your drivers are corrupted (possible) and you need to delete and reinstall them. Maybe the best test in that case is use a PC that does not have iTunes currently installed, and put a completely clean install on it.

25. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

^^^^^
    You make me sound like I'm an ogre or something. :)

Anyway, you weren't contradicting me. What you wrote is what I meant (about getting it into DFU mode).

I guess it all comes down to whether he's really doing the right steps to get it into DFU mode. I've seen another clip that really shows DFU mode well (it's a clip for downgrading). I'll post that after I find it.

Here's the video. Just pay attention to the first part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD6wti-ayOs