usb2 pcie card test results: sonnet allegro usb 2.0

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by philipma1957, Oct 18, 2010.

1. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Yeah not glamorous but needed usb2 ports..

I purchased an allegro usb pcie usb adapter card it cam today. just hooked it up. it is driverless it works from the getgo. 4 jacks on the outside 1 on the inside. has a four prong power adapter inside. purchase link.

owc 60 bucks.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet Technology/USB2E/

number one it has solved my problem with my external sound card I have a 4 year old edirol external sound ua-1ex. this is a nice little device and it was not working correctly with the 2010 mac pro i had to plug it in and out after every boot. now it just works. i also needed more usb2 ports and they all seem to work. I will give a few speed tests for them tomorrow. so far i like the card. after a few hours of playing with it.

2. SmilesLots macrumors regular

SmilesLots

Seems the Mac Pro's are deficient in USB2 ports. To pay as much as we do for these computers, I think more ports should be standard. Glad the card is working well. I got a Belkin combo USB-Firewire card for the same reason.

3. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

4. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

What about that power plug?

Do you have to power it with the 4-pin power connector on the card? Or is that for something else?

One would have to be mighty creative to get the Mac Pro PSU to power that thing.....

5. philipma1957 thread starter macrumors 603

philipma1957

there is an inside usb2 port. that 4-pin power connector gives off power. the card grabs all it energy from the pci e connection. the usb2 works better from this card then the mac pro's oem usb2 port do. they have a bit more power then the pro's do. all in all I am really happy with this piece of gear.

6. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Gives off power? Awesome. Think I'm going to pick one of these up.

Right now my setup consists of the following:

Dell U2410 - USB 1 - Apple Wired Keyboard w/ number pad; USB 2 - M-Audio Axiom Pro

Dell U2410 USB "A" connector plugs into Griffin Powerwave (USB cable too short to reach Mac Pro)

Dell 2209WA - Logitech QuickCam Pro in USB hub.

Griffin Powermate - Dell U2410, Logitech Mx Revolution Dongle, card reader, iPod charger/dock

Mac Pro rear USB ports: 1 - to Canon MP830 Printer 2- to Griffin Powermate 3- to Dell 2209WA USB hub.

The Powermate gimped out the other day, so I lost my mouse and keyboard. THEN the Dell U2410 shut off so I thought it was an issue with the monitor. Turns out the cat stepped on the surge protector. Anyhow, something's gotta give. I don't feel comfortable powering my Axiom Pro through a monitor's USB hub, and I have plenty of open PCI-E ports. It would be great if there was a combo USB / Firewire card or even a USB / eSATA card.

Thanks for the info!