USB3: Worth Waiting For?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by butterfly0fdoom, Jul 6, 2009.

1. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

I've been looking at replacing my MacBook with one of the new 13" Pros, I'm just wondering what the general opinions on USB3 is as far as is it worth waiting for. I'm not in any rush to get a new computer (it's just that my current one has some speed issues that can't be resolved by adding more RAM). I mean, I don't really forsee myself having any specific needs for USB3, but I'd like whatever computer I get to last me longer than the 2 years I've had my current MacBook for so the idea of waiting for USB3 is really more of a future-proofing kind of thing.

2. AppleiZac macrumors member

if u dont see ne specific needs then its probably no big deal. and i dont see USB3 really hurting the lifespan of a new computer as apple and all other companies cannot/will not expect people to buy new computers just to use their new devices. they will still b usb2 compatible.no big deal. i just bought a new MacBook Pro 15" and am happier than ever, no regrets.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

the general consensus is usb 3 will be coming later this year. but that is no guarantee that it will be in the new macs right away. and then you have to deal with the new usb 3 hdd being really expensive ect ect. i dont think that it is worth waiting for.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Ports, especially something backwards-compatible like USB, shouldn't be a major factor in the lifetime of a computer.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If you want a MB now, buy one, otherwise it's likely the early 2010 models will get them (MBPs at least).

6. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

What kind of "speed issues" do you have? Maybe try reinstalling the OS first, your computer sounds like it's up for most tasks, except gaming.

If you are not in a hurry to upgrade wait for next year, usb3 and sooner or later quad core macbook pros.

I don't expect usb3 to be a big deal right away, but something like 3 years from now it maybe will be. Just like with usb1 -> usb2 in the past.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally I typically don't choose to hold off on computer purchased based on ports. Yeah USB3 would be a nice addition but really there's more important components, like Nehalem or a good GPU

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Are there any USB 3.0 peripherals?

Exactly. There's no sense in having the port a year before anything will be made for it.

9. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Most people use the computer they purchased more than a year so of course it's a big thing with usb 3. It's stupid to say otherwise. Is it a deal breaker today? No, perhaps not for me or you but why dismiss it for everyone? USB 3 will be the port standard in the future and will be good to have. I need a computer now so I buy what is available now, this is just like every "should I wait to next apple update?" thread. The answer is always buy now if you need it else wait.

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I'd be much more interested when Apple introduces some FW1600/3200 ports. Maybe that's what's keeping Apple from including eSATA.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, in fact apple was chided years ago with the iMac for embracing USB (on the bondi blue iMac) when there were so few devices available.

As I mentioned its foolish at this point to have your decision based on when USB3 will be available when I think there's other factors that need to be considered as well

12. bdr420 macrumors newbie

You could probably put a usb3.0 in your express slot.
    ...oh wait

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Firewire 800 + USB 2.0 >>>> USB 3.0 (at least for the next 5 years)

We'll readdress this issue then. If you need a computer NOW, don't wait for some potential future upgrade (e.g. quad core portable, Blu-Ray, USB 3.0...)!

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I woulnd't wait for it. First, it's going to take at least a year after intro for perifs to come out to make it useful. Second, it's really an unknown if it will take off. I mean, hey FW400 was clearly superior to USB2 but it didn't go anywhere. Even when it became the standard DV connector there was no real demand by consumers to include it on mainstream PCs. Even Apple, FWs daddy, dropped it briefly on MBs... ones that came w/ iMovie.

So let USB3 play out. By the time you are ready for your next machine it will either be a new essential connector or an esoteric port.

15. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Remember, not only does the tech have to be released, but it has to stop being a 'bag of hurt' before Apple will use it. :cool:

16. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Mainstream use of USB 3.0 is at least two years away.

Are there any peripherals that will be USB 3.0 that you NEED that are not available now in either a USB 2.0 or Firewire flavor?

17. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ha, so true.

USB3 & Nehalem are the 2 things I'm waiting for before I replace my MBP. I want a noticible jump in performance :p

I jumped from a 2Ghz iMac to my 2.5Ghz MBP, and I really didn't notice a difference, if anything, my MBP is slower because of the 5400rpm HD...

18. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I agree, the quad core chips will be a far more significant upgrade than usb3. That's what I am waiting for.....

19. friareunuch macrumors member

second

20. walshlink macrumors regular

We've seen how long it has taken Apple to adopt Blu-ray...oh yeah, THEY HAVEN'T.

I'd expect to see Apple adopt Firewire 3200 when USB 3.0 come out...just so they can be "different".

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm going to say nope.

No software is written to take advantage of that yet, and we can never know when Apple will do software updates.

22. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

[​IMG]

Grand Central Dispatch

More cores, not faster clock speeds, drive performance increases in today’s processors. Grand Central Dispatch takes full advantage by making all of Mac OS X multicore aware and optimizing it for allocating tasks across multiple cores and processors. Grand Central Dispatch also makes it much easier for developers to create programs that squeeze every last drop of power from multicore systems.

23. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

It will be a while before apps are fully ready to take advantage of GCD...

24. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So you think it magically takes a single-threaded app and makes it use however many threads your computer has? You really think so, don't you?

Sure, it does. And eSATA causes cancer.

25. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Just log into Mac Dev Center and educate yourself.