Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
I have a Series 0 AW that I may keep to use at night for sleep monitoring once I get my S2. Don't really need to sell it and used prices aren't that great anyway. Please excuse the first world dilemma.

Idea would be to charge the S2 overnight on my nightstand, and wear the S0 overnight (and charge it during the day).

Will the fitness data appear seamlessly on both watches (and also in Activity app)? Same with the sleep data? Plan is to use the "Sleep Watch" app.

TIA.

cmbauer

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2016
I have a Series 0 AW that I may keep to use at night for sleep monitoring once I get my S2. Don't really need to sell it and used prices aren't that great anyway. Please excuse the first world dilemma.

Idea would be to charge the S2 overnight on my nightstand, and wear the S0 overnight (and charge it during the day).

Will the fitness data appear seamlessly on both watches (and also in Activity app)? Same with the sleep data? Plan is to use the "Sleep Watch" app.

TIA.

You could just charge the watch while showering then you can wear the series 2 all day and night. I wear my Series 0 24 hours a day. I charge for about 30 minutes when I am getting ready in the morning and about 1 hour maybe towards the end of night when I am winding down for the day. The battery charges super quick. No need to over complicate things. Enjoy!

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
You could just charge the watch while showering then you can wear the series 2 all day and night. I wear my Series 0 24 hours a day. I charge for about 30 minutes when I am getting ready in the morning and about 1 hour maybe towards the end of night when I am winding down for the day. The battery charges super quick. No need to over complicate things. Enjoy!

Interesting. That hasn't been my experience with my S0. 30-60 minutes doesn't add enough juice to go 8+ additional hours, particularly if I work out which I do pretty much daily for 1-2 hours. I'll give it another try I suppose.

cmbauer

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2016
Interesting. That hasn't been my experience with my S0. 30-60 minutes doesn't add enough juice to go 8+ additional hours, particularly if I work out which I do pretty much daily for 1-2 hours. I'll give it another try I suppose.

Yeah I work out at 5am till 6am then come home charge it up to 100 percent by 715ish. Then wear it all day ( currently still have 74% left ) then I will go for a run around 5pm, then set it on the charger around 8pm for another 45 minutes or so back to 100% then go to sleep, put in in Airplane and DND so I can sleep and use the Silent Alarm. I also track sleep automatically with Sleep Watch app. Wake up at 415am with about 94 percent battery.

System seems to work well for me

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
My series 2 I have gotten up to 56 hours on a charge. Worse was 48 with over 20% left.

Wow that's impressive. With my S0 I'm usually down to 10-20% (max) after a 7 am - 11pm day, including a medium/long workout.

Yeah I work out at 5am till 6am then come home charge it up to 100 percent by 715ish. Then wear it all day ( currently still have 74% left ) then I will go for a run around 5pm, then set it on the charger around 8pm for another 45 minutes or so back to 100% then go to sleep, put in in Airplane and DND so I can sleep and use the Silent Alarm. I also track sleep automatically with Sleep Watch app. Wake up at 415am with about 94 percent battery.

System seems to work well for me

I wonder if my battery just isn't up to snuff in my S0. I'll give it a try but I seem to burn more %, and recharge more slowly, than you're experiencing. And btw you wake up like a maniac!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Do you have a 38? Those have shorter battery life than the 42.

I've been managing by charging my 38 S0 twice a day, once before going to bed and once while I shower in the morning. But I'm seriously considering using the S0 for night and the S2 during the day, once I get a Nike+ S2. From what I've been seeing, swapping between two watches look like it should be seamless, but I'll find out!

Reactions: Enigma01au

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK

TIA.

This is something I too am considering, again for the very same reasons. For what I spent on my UK purchased 42mm SS I would take a big hit on the wallet to now sell on.

The issue I see however is:- Although you can have two watches paired to the one iPhone, the data from each watch is transferred only to the iPhone.
i.e. Watch S0 would send the sleep data to the iPhone but wouldn't receive any activity already accumulated during that 24hr period.
Watch S2 again would send the activity and normal day wear to the iPhone but would not receive any sleep data.

Your iPhone would be the only means of reading total use of both watches.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I don't know about sleep data but I use two Apple Watches and the workouts get added up as if I'm just using one watch. I walk a couple times during the day while I'm at work with my work Stainless Steel work watch and then when I get home I use my aluminum sport to run. Every day my activity is all added up just fine. I love it. The iPhone uses the unlock code on the Apple Watch to know to switch to the new watch.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I use 2 watches (but not a sleep app). The fitness data has worked seamlessly on both watches. Everything recorded on one watch also shows up on the other. When changing watches it just takes a minute to show up in the Activity App.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
That's extremely useful and something which I now need to find out why the data is not being pushed back to the watch.
Although I am yet to use a second watch with my iPhone I have noticed if I take off my watch and use my iPhone for a while, when I replace the watch back on my wrist the new activity from my iPhone has not been transferred back to the watch.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I tried to wear it during the night but it felt uncomfortable in bed.
Battery life was not a problem, I could charge it while taking a shower and having breakfast before going to work. With watchOS 3.1 I can almost run two days on a single charge so I wouldn't need two watches for that purpose.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
Do you have a 38? Those have shorter battery life than the 42.

I've been managing by charging my 38 S0 twice a day, once before going to bed and once while I shower in the morning. But I'm seriously considering using the S0 for night and the S2 during the day, once I get a Nike+ S2. From what I've been seeing, swapping between two watches look like it should be seamless, but I'll find out!

I have a 42.

I too am also thinking about this. And it will mean that if anything should happen to watch 2, then I have a back-up which is fully charged and ready to go!

Another good side benefit. My S0 had an issue that left me without it for a few days. I was surprisingly bummed out about not having it. This would certainly address that :)

I don't know about sleep data but I use two Apple Watches and the workouts get added up as if I'm just using one watch. I walk a couple times during the day while I'm at work with my work Stainless Steel work watch and then when I get home I use my aluminum sport to run. Every day my activity is all added up just fine. I love it. The iPhone uses the unlock code on the Apple Watch to know to switch to the new watch.

I use 2 watches (but not a sleep app). The fitness data has worked seamlessly on both watches. Everything recorded on one watch also shows up on the other. When changing watches it just takes a minute to show up in the Activity App.

Thanks to both of you, and great to know. I figured the data went in both directions but am glad for the confirmation.

That said, I tried what cmbauer suggested and it worked really well. I hadn't done any real battery tests since I began installing the betas of Watch OS 3 and now 3.1. A short boost at night got me enough juice to last easily through morning, and a short morning charge while showering got me comfortably through the day including a workout. Switching to Airplane and DND overnight really helped too. My sleep app worked just fine too.

Still may make use of 2 watches :)

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH

TIA.
Yes. I use two Apple Watches and wear one at night and one during the day. Fitness data (rings) sync flawlessly between the two.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
I wouldn't mind this idea if the series 2 was the Nike Watch and wear that during workouts and overnight.

Reactions: Beards

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
Yes it will work fine - it may take a while for the activity to be synced over to your phone, but I've been doing this. I have an S2 and S0. I occasionally wear the S0 still as it's space grey and the S2 in Stainless Steel, so the S0 is better with a more casual look. My activity is still recorded, and any activity already accomplished that day on the other watch shows up on the second watch.
I've not tried wearing both at once however, that might be a bit crazy!

M

Reactions: anthonymoody

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
OP, you will be flat out amazed at the battery on your new S2 when you get it.

Clint1583

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
I'm another that finds my AW2 gives me more then enough battery life. Although I don't wear it to bed, I could easily wear it for 24 hours but just charge it while showing/dressing and it would get me through another 24 hour period of normal use.

Currently when I go to bed and take it off it's always above 50%. Battery life NOT an issue.

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
Just as aside, I noticed the info synching between two Watches by chance. My brand new Nike+ died on me yesterday and by the time I got home and swapped over my Series O I still had, I was pleased to note my activity rings were synched across. I would assume this was because my iPhone was still in range of the Nike+ up until it died, otherwise if you went out for a run without the phone and it died (ie not just flat battery, but dead, kaput), then you'd lose that info.

I would assume the heart rate monitoring should be transferred over as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.