Use 32-bit apps in 64-bit OS?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ohla313, Sep 7, 2011.

1. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I recently installed Windows 7 on my MBP but need to install Visio and Visual Basic 2010. One of them is 32-bit only but I am using Windows 7 64-bit. Would I be able to install the 32-bit only program without a problem?

Also what Visual Basic is the best to get?

Ultimate, Professional, Premium?

Another side note, is it better to get Windows 7 Professional with the SP1 or no?

2. ShinyDren macrumors member

ShinyDren

I also have Windows 7 64-bit on my MBP (with several 32-bit applications). You should be fine with most, if not all, semi-recent applications. 32-bit applications are normally put in the "Program Files (x86)" folder automatically when installed (which you don't even need to know unless it is not added to the start/windows menu).

Hopefully someone else can help with your version question.

3. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

That's great to hear. So running Visio or Visual Basic 2010 won't be a problem if they are 32-bit apps.

4. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Well the version we used in class today was Ultimate so I guess I got that answered.

Once I have these programs downloaded, how would I go about making install CDs of them??

Also would downloading these .exe files on my Mac make it harder to burn them?

5. wpotere, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

wpotere Guest

Ultimate in class? Really? That is way overkill. You will only be able to use it for 90 days without buying it and Ultimate will cost you anyway. If you are taking a beginners course, Express would be all you need and it is free but ask your professor. I'm pretty sure that Ultimate can only be purchased with an MSDN account which will cost you $12,000.00! :eek: Just an FYI, but they all do the basics that you will need. Ultimate will cover all languages supported in one IDE and with the money give you access to MSDN. As a beginner even pro will really not be needed as it just ads more functionality that you won't learn about in class.

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visual-basic-express

Also, if you have a school e-mail account you can get an account with DreamSpark and get the pro version for free via the site.

https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx

You can download the programs on a mac and simply burn them to CD to install on Windows. Just stick a blank cd and drag them to the CD in finder. Click the CD and you will see and icon to burn it. Simple enough...

Oh, and yes, you can install the 32bit software on 64bit OS, just not the other way around. ;)

6. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Thank you for your insight! I may have forgot to mention but yes I do have a MSDN account so that's why I am asking which to pick since they are all free. Might as well get the best and most complete if its all free right? ;)

I thought I would need to use Disk Utility? Maybe download from the site and would I then be able to simply drag to disk utility to burn a bootable disc? How does that work? Wouldn't I need to use a DVD?

Thanks again!

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, get Ultimate since you have MSDN. It's overkill but who cares? :)

How are you running Windows? If it's through a VM then you should be able to mount the ISO file directly, otherwise use Disk Utility to produce a DVD (it won't fit on a CD).

8. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I am currently running Lion and using Boot Camp to run Windows 7. Could you clarify on how I would go about putting the Visio, Visual Studio, and Windows 7 install on discs? I can download and burn the discs all through OS X correct?

Thank you!

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yep, just pull down the three images from MSDN Subscriber Downloads and use Disk Utility to produce DVDs.

There is a 64-bit version of Visio but the 32-bit version is recommended (64-bit is intended for add-in developers at this stage).

10. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

All 32-bit programs will run, the only things that won't are 16-bit programs (drawback of the x86-64 architecture running in 64-bit mode).

11. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

So just drag them into it? Any precautions to take or small steps to do when I burn the discs? Would I be able to boot with the Windows 7 disc? Also should I bother getting the Windows 7 with SP1 or no?

Thanks again!

----------

but are there many business programs in 16 bit?

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I personally use the "Burn" icon on the toolbar but drag and drop probably works too. You shouldn't have to tweak any settings.

Use the SP1 image.

There are very few 16-bit apps still around; most of them are 15+ years old.

13. ohla313, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Great! thank you. I read somewhere that SP1 is just extra features and updates bundled in that you can get from Windows Update but I'll take your word and go with the SP1.

Edit: Here's what I got.

http://cl.ly/302E2T413F1E1V2N3W1z

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

15. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Well our teacher told us we should try setting up our own Exchance server so why not? :D

Um..I got these instructions on how to get my download. Would I do this on a Windows laptop??

http://cl.ly/3J31452W360s3Z190N2X

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hmm. That appears to be a custom site (Microsoft's works on Mac) so I can't offer any advice.

17. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Well since these are Windows' products I can only download them when on Windows? When I clicked "Start Download" I got a small .exe file. But then again how would I be able to make a install backup later..Maybe I need to do that on Windows. It even does that for the Windows 7 install! Maybe I need to download these all on my Windows 7 partition..

I'll boot into it and report what happened.

18. ShinyDren macrumors member

ShinyDren

Ahh, a MSDNAA site.

Yes, the best way is to boot into Windows and download the small .exe file from the MSDNAA site. Once that is done, run that file to download the actual installer file/image.

Depending on the program being downloaded you may get a .exe installer file or a .iso disk image. You can then store the installer files anywhere you want.

19. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

And after I download the actual installer/image I can move it to Mac and burn it to a DVD via disk utility?

20. ShinyDren macrumors member

ShinyDren

Short answer, yes.

The files can be stored on any partition/disk they will fit on (HFS+, FAT32, NTFS...). Obviously .exe installers have to be run while running Windows, but as long as windows can read the disk it should work. The .iso images can be burned using any program on any platform that is capable of doing so, Disk Utility works fine for this.

21. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Does that mean I need to be logged into Windows and Mac OS? I am using Boot Camp so I am not sure how I can have the installer running when burning it.

So if I get .iso images I can move it to the Mac partition and burn it through disk utility?

22. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The downloader will need to be run in Windows but the resulting .iso files can be accessed from your OS X installation. You don't need to run Windows and OS X simultaneously :)

23. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

great! thank you. I am on my Windows partition and am installing the install file. It is a .sdc file, is this the file I burn to disc?

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have no idea what an .sdc file is. MSDN images are usually .iso files.

25. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Nevermind, the .sdc was the installer and after it finished downloading a folder with the .iso appeared! success! So I just copy this to my Mac side and then burn it via Disk Utility?