Use iPhone with AT&T SIM from other phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joshwillmarth, May 6, 2009.

1. joshwillmarth macrumors newbie

I have a first generation iPhone that has the latest software and firmware installed. I am selling the phone to a friend who wants to use his AT&T SIM card from another phone in this iPhone. He does not have a data plan and does not want one. How can we use his SIM card in this iPhone without contacting AT&T?

2. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Can't. The IMEI is broadcast to the carrier, and since the iPhone is on ATT's list of recognized IMEIs, it'll be picked up, period. Short of hacking it to change the IMEI (which is both a major bother and would violate all sorts of FCC statutes), you're out of luck.

Note: even if you do manage to hack the IMEI (unlikely), it's considered phreaking under US law, and is a federal offense.

3. joshwillmarth thread starter macrumors newbie

I was doing some research and would like to know if unlocking the phone would fix this problem?

4. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Er, sysiphus is not correct. I've done this.

As long as the SIM card is relatively new (bought within at least the last 2-3 years), all you have to do is put the SIM card in and it will work.

Prior to doing this though, he should contact AT&T and ask them to block all data to his phone. The iPhone will attempt to retrieve data at certain times whether you want it to or not, so that is the only way to ensure he doesn't get charged for it.

5. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

He's not asking if the SIM will work. That's a given. He's asking how to use an iPhone on ATT's network without ATT knowing that it's an iPhone.
    At least that's what I took away from his post. If all he cares about is swapping SIM cards without dealing with ATT's tech support, then yeah, it's no problem.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Just put in the iPhone and presto. As long as the iPhone is activated it will accept your friend's AT&T SIM without any problems.

Now, will he incur into data charges, maybe. The iPhone is one Data sucking bastard.

7. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816