Use jailbroken iphone on at&t w/o data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mrman2787, Jan 23, 2011.

1. mrman2787, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  2. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

@mrman2787, I think there are some posts here that describe how you can call AT&T and have them manually change your cell phone type to a dumb phone and avoid data charges.

Being jailbroken or not won't change anything as far as how AT&T detects what kind of phone you have, so talking to customer service and having them make this change manually is probably the only way.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I believe that you need to use a prepaid account.

4. Aatos.1, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2011

Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

The network will auto detect it's an iPhone & a data plan will be added to your account. It has nothing to do with jailbreaking. You have no choice.

Not possible. No way. Period.

Don't believe me, do your part & read the terms & conditions. You don't have a chance.

Nope.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nope, not if you have a "data opt - out" on your account.

OP, what phone do you currently have and do you have internet on it?
    Go to your account via www.att.com and check to see if you have "data opt out" under your line if you do not have data.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That doesnt make a difference.
    They do scans and the minute they detect an iphone on a post paid account without a data plan they will add it automaticly.
    They have been doing that since last summer.
    You can use a prepaid AT&T gophone sim in order not to have a data plan. If you're on a monthly plan they will add it for you.
    Try it and see how long you last. Some get away with it for months and others weeks.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I understand.
    However, we still have a line without data. AT&T knows very well what phone we have on that line and it clearly shows what phone you are using too on the online page. That specific line has been setup for over 2 years like that. Trust me, I know how fast AT&T will add a data plan to your account. I tried it with my iPhone/line and it literally adds in an hour or so saying "Did you know that your iPhone requires a data plan?" (something like that).

Sure, they'll know you're running an iPhone within the first 5 minutes of putting the sim in, but If you have a data opt-out on your account, they won't add a data plan. The thing is, if you don't already have that, you have to call them and have them put it on your account (which they more than likely will not do).

8. mrman2787 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the responses

definitely glad i asked.looks like il proably just end up gettin a ipodtouch instead.
    thanks again
    -M