Use MBP as Fax Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by umdjb, Jun 18, 2007.

1. umdjb macrumors regular

Just as the title says...Is there anyway to use my MBP as a fax machine. Like can I get a fax number or something and receive and send faxes through my computer?

Thanks!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Yes. The software is built-in to OS-X. However, you will need an external modem. I would suggest the Apple USB Modem.

With the modem installed, you can FAX through the Print dialog. Click on "PDF", then "FAX PDF". When you type in the contact, it will automatically put the FAX number entered in Address Book.

To receive a fax, go to System Preferences -> Print & Fax -> Faxing. Check "Receive faxes on this computer". Enter your phone number (it's what will show up in the FAX header, and select how you want the incoming FAX handled. Make sure your computer is not sleeping when you are expecting the FAX.

edit: you can use your home phone line, or, if you want to keep the machine enabled for receiving FAXs, you might want a 2nd line.

3. sonarghost macrumors regular

If you do not have a phone # you can get a toll free fax line at myfax.com I used them a while ago, was a pretty good service. Done totally through your computer $10.00/ month for like 100 faxes or so. Saves you money if you do not want a "land" line.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I do not recommend attempting this with the Apple USB faxmodem. It is horribly unreliable. Buy a fax machine if you have anything other than a casual need for faxing.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

wow - surprised at the report. It's worked flawlessly every time I've used it since Nov. '06. Dozens of times. Mostly sending, but receiving too. I only connect it when I'm actively using it, so it's plugged in and removed with each use.