Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mynamebrody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2021
Grand Rapids, MI
I tried tracking down an easy yes/no answer within various forums and threads only to be found with the answer of "maybe" and complicated setups.

Upon my research in threads, they have led me to these three options:

I bought the SIIG cable to use with my Xbox Series X and 22" LG UltraFine Display... by default it showed that I could only do 720p. However, if you use the Advanced settings I could pick 1080p at 120Hz or 1440p at 60Hz! ?

Xbox > Settings> General > TV & Display options
You’ll see a menu that shows Display, Setup and Advanced.
Navigate to Advanced > video fidelity & overscan > overrides
In overrides, select HDMI and “use manual settings”
Then you can change the display resolution to 1080p and 120Hz or 1440p at 60Hz.

So the answer is Yes you can (with limitations of what theadapterss above can output)

Last edited:

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2008
Thanks so much for confirming. Have you tried this adapter with any other device or adapter combo? Windows laptops, HDMI-enabled Macs, etc?

benaiad

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2020
Thank you for sharing this.
A few months ago, I bought the SIIG cable to connect my switch to a 5K LG ultrafine display. Now I'm using it with the ps5. I had to manually set the resolution to 1080p (that's at 60Hz) and the RGB color to Full. It does not allow me to set it to 2160p. There's no 1440p option.

mynamebrody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2021
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks so much for confirming. Have you tried this adapter with any other device or adapter combo? Windows laptops, HDMI-enabled Macs, etc?
I have not tried this with any other combo. There is a whole thread here about Windows laptops. I decided to spin off video game consoles into their own separate thread for easy SEO.

Reactions: Riviera122

mynamebrody

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2021
Grand Rapids, MI
Thank you for sharing this.
A few months ago, I bought the SIIG cable to connect my switch to a 5K LG ultrafine display. Now I'm using it with the ps5. I had to manually set the resolution to 1080p (that's at 60Hz) and the RGB color to Full. It does not allow me to set it to 2160p. There's no 1440p option.
That's nice to know. So both system families, you have to manually set the resolution after plugging everything in. So you are saying on the PS5, the highest resolution you can get is 1080p at 60Hz? That seems low compared to what I was able to get on the Series X with just the 4K display, not even the 5K

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
My no-name cable from eBay arrived. It worked for a few minutes and now I can't get the LG 5K to come on :( Not sure why.
The cable burned itself out or the LG is finicky. Did you get audio to work? Did it stop working by itself (while you were using it) or did it stop working after you turned something off?

I have no idea how to test the cable - except with a different display - preferable one with buttons.
Would be nice if I could find a USB-C hub that could take the cable as input and output USB 2.0 and DisplayPort. The Cable Matters hubs do not have a detachable USB-C cable.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
The cable burned itself out or the LG is finicky. Did you get audio to work? Did it stop working by itself (while you were using it) or did it stop working after you turned something off?

I have no idea how to test the cable - except with a different display - preferable one with buttons.
Would be nice if I could find a USB-C hub that could take the cable as input and output USB 2.0 and DisplayPort. The Cable Matters hubs do not have a detachable USB-C cable.
Didn't get audio to work, and it stopped working halfway through something. I then unplugged and replugged it, and it came back to life, but then seems dead again after turning the PS4 off and trying to turn it back on. Unfortunately don't have any other USB-C displays to test - might have to return it and try something like the SIIG adapter instead.

PCuser214

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Didn't get audio to work, and it stopped working halfway through something. I then unplugged and replugged it, and it came back to life, but then seems dead again after turning the PS4 off and trying to turn it back on. Unfortunately don't have any other USB-C displays to test - might have to return it and try something like the SIIG adapter instead.
Because of the aging of your HDMI output device insufficient power supply for the chip in the cable. You only need to plug that USB-A into the USB port with a 5V usb power output will be fine. I also had this problem at the beginning. I try the SIIG a and other similar adapter long time ago it do not support 4K and sound. It is design for VR display I guess. The ebay seller they have a upgraded adapter I also bought one today it work perfect on 4k and they support TB3 and HDR now.

link for details
https://www.reddit.com/r/VIDEOENGINEERING/comments/hmao05

Attachments

• v2-7b0738a95ab8d96e64ba5f4a2360676b_1440w.jpg
    v2-7b0738a95ab8d96e64ba5f4a2360676b_1440w.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 1,151
  • v2-29ece415ebdce93e8ad0a9de801ed182_1440w.jpg
    v2-29ece415ebdce93e8ad0a9de801ed182_1440w.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 1,414
Last edited:
Reactions: cambookpro

BadA55 Ace

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2021
Because of the aging of your HDMI output device insufficient power supply for the chip in the cable. You only need to plug that USB-A into the USB port with a 5V usb power output will be fine. I also had this problem at the beginning. I try the SIIG a and other similar adapter long time ago it do not support 4K and sound. It is design for VR display I guess. The ebay seller they have a upgraded adapter I also bought one today it work perfect on 4k and they support TB3 and HDR now.

View attachment 1717642
Wanna share what products you have/use? What cords go where?

PCuser214

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Last edited:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I have two LG monitor home and office both work OK.
PS4 pro HDMI--> LG Ultrafine 4k 23 TB3 port
PS4 pro HDMI--> LG 5K 34WK95U TB3 port transmit HDR OK
Laptop Dell G3 HDMI--> LG 5K 34WK95U TB3 port
Laptop Dell G3 HDMI--> LG Ultrafine 4k 23 TB3 port

use this adapter, link for details
I have bought this and seems to work well, however can only get 1080p from my PS4 Pro to 5K Ultrafine. Do you know if 4K is possible?

PCuser214

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
I have bought this and seems to work well, however can only get 1080p from my PS4 Pro to 5K Ultrafine. Do you know if 4K is possible?
Yes, it's support 4k for sure.You may need some settings. If your ultrafine show that the default resolution is set to 1080P, you can enforce select 4K on PS4 pro and then ignore the warn click yes it should be fine.

Last edited:

TasuyaKen2

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2021
I have two LG monitor home and office both work OK.
PS4 pro HDMI--> LG Ultrafine 4k 23 TB3 port
PS4 pro HDMI--> LG 5K 34WK95U TB3 port transmit HDR OK
Laptop Dell G3 HDMI--> LG 5K 34WK95U TB3 port
Laptop Dell G3 HDMI--> LG Ultrafine 4k 23 TB3 port

use this adapter, link for details
I received this adapter today it work well on my LG ultrafine 4k 24MD4KL(connected to ps5 4K resolution). Thanks.
But I can't turn on HDR, do you know how I need to set it up?

1/30/2021
Recently learned that this display does not support HDR,Sorry for the fool question.

Last edited:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Yes, it's support 4k for sure.You may need some settings. If your ultrafine show that the default resolution is set to 1080P, you can enforce select 4K on PS4 pro and then ignore the warn click yes it should be fine.
Hmm have tried turning HDCP off but still only outputs 1080p, at least in the main menus. Haven't actually looked in a game yet, but doubt it'd be different? Not too bothered as 1080p is perfectly playable, but would prefer 4K.

looptothemoon

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2021
I received this adapter today it work well on my LG ultrafine 4k 24MD4KL(connected to ps5 4K resolution). Thanks.
May I ask you how long it took to be shipped and how well it works? I also have the same monitor and will be receiving a PS5 in a few days, wondering how it is and if the adaptor is worth spending $110 CAD instead of buying an extra monitor.

TasuyaKen2

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2021
May I ask you how long it took to be shipped and how well it works? I also have the same monitor and will be receiving a PS5 in a few days, wondering how it is and if the adaptor is worth spending $110 CAD instead of buying an extra monitor.
I directly contacted the seller's EMAIL to trade on PayPal which much cheaper(almost half price then wish) I received it after three days from fedex.I think the tax on the wish is very expensive. Also feels great on LG ultrafine 4k(see attach video).Recently learned that this display does not support HDR which a fly in the ointment.

Reactions: looptothemoon

looptothemoon

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2021
I directly contacted the seller's EMAIL to trade on PayPal which much cheaper(almost half price then wish) I received it after three days from fedex.I think the tax on the wish is very expensive. Also feels great on LG ultrafine 4k(see attach video).Recently learned that this display does not support HDR which a fly in the ointment.

Thank you for sharing. I already ordered from the Wish page and seems like I can't cancel the order now :( Do you mind sharing the seller's email please? So that I can possibly ask the seller to cancel the order on his end and purchase through Paypal and avoid duties at least? Thank you.

looptothemoon

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2021

1/30/2021
Recently learned that this display does not support HDR,Sorry for the fool question.
Hi, I just received the adaptor and tried it but the monitor flickers way too much even with the change in refresh rate setting at -1. It does not flicker at -2, but the resolution would only be 720p. Also there is no sound from the monitor. Have you had any of these issues?

TasuyaKen2

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2021
Hi, I just received the adaptor and tried it but the monitor flickers way too much even with the change in refresh rate setting at -1. It does not flicker at -2, but the resolution would only be 720p. Also there is no sound from the monitor. Have you had any of these issues?
Just plug in the power supply the flicker will be gone. I don't have the sound problem you should email the seller.

Adzmr2

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2021
Burnham, England
Hi I tried to contact the seller but no response anyone know where I can source this adaptor or similar

I have an Xbox series x that I wish to use on LG 5k monitor LG 27MD5KA-B

If anyone can help….

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Hi I tried to contact the seller but no response anyone know where I can source this adaptor or similar

I have an Xbox series x that I wish to use on LG 5k monitor LG 27MD5KA-B

If anyone can help….
Only the newer LG UltraFine 5K (27MD5KL) can do USB-C.

The older LG UltraFine 5K (27MD5KA) is Thunderbolt only. You need a HDMI to DisplayPort adapter connected to the Mini DisplayPort input of a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card which will convert that to Thunderbolt. You also need a method to power the add-in card.
https://thunderbolttechnology.net/p...l&field_prod_tb_version_value_many_to_one=All

Reactions: Amethyst1

Adzmr2

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2021
Burnham, England
@joevt thanks for reply
So for me to use a add-in card does that mean I need a PC to do the signal conversion?

This solution I assume is costlier than buying a dedicated gaming display?

Is the LG ultra life screen worth the hassle or should I buy a gaming display if so any recommendations?

I wanted a mid range screen not too expensive that could allow next gen graphics to display, I had the LG screen for MacBook and hoped I could save a few Bob by using this instead.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
@joevt thanks for reply
So for me to use a add-in card does that mean I need a PC to do the signal conversion?
A PC that is supported by the add-in card would most likely work. Other methods of supplying power are less likely to work.
https://hardforum.com/threads/use-usb-c-monitor-without-usb-c.1911817/post-1043937319

This solution I assume is costlier than buying a dedicated gaming display?
Not going to do the math for you. It's not cheap. You need the add-in card, a power supply, and a riser or adapter to connect the power supply to the add-in card. This might work for USB-C Alt Mode but it might not work for Thunderbolt. Even if it works for Thunderbolt, it might not work with the LG UltraFine 5K since it has no power buttons and might require PCIe communication.

Is the LG ultra life screen worth the hassle or should I buy a gaming display if so any recommendations?
If you have more fun playing games than playing with tech, then get a gaming display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.