Used iPhone 5 or used 5c?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maximus831, May 16, 2014.

1. Maximus831 macrumors member

I plan on buying my son a used 5 or 5c. Which one would you prefer and why? Thanks in advance.

2. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Probably depends on if your son wants a plastic or aluminum iPhone. The 5c has an improved battery and more LTE cell bands but other than that the insides are pretty comparable. I purchased a 5c for my wife because she liked the green color, but it was a little slick so she installed a green Apple case. They are both good phones so either pick will be good!

3. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I'd lean toward the 5C, but the first you come across in good shape that is cheaper is the one purchase.
    (Get him a case either way! Both iPhones are prone to cracked screens. . .)

4. Maximus831 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. Other than Ebay and Craigslist, is there a reputable place to purchase the 5c?

5. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Swappa is a good place. http://swappa.com I purchased a phone and had a good experience.

6. Ann P macrumors 68020

I'd take a 5 over a 5C. Don't like the plastic or any of the color offered. Just my opinion of course. Though with that said, if you buy a used 5c, it'll def have some remainder of the 1-year warranty on it.

7. njsapple2012 macrumors member

Personally I'd go the iPhone 5c.

Although it shares a lot of the same internal specs as the iPhone 5 it'll have a longer warranty period on it.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I prefer the metal thinner 5.

But battery will likely be younger in a 5C.

9. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

If specs matter most to you, then choose the 5c. If form factor matters most to you, then choose the 5.

The 5c also has an improved front-facing camera, in addition to the larger battery and additional LTE bands.

Also, the 5 would most likely be out of warranty, while the 5c came out less than a year ago.

10. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Get a 5c. The cameras are better and has a bigger battery and more LTE bands. Also, I'm hoping it receives one more iOS update than the 5.

11. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

If had to make that choice today, I'd take the 5C because of the improved battery, better FaceTime camera, and more LTE bands.

The 5C is also really comfortable to hold. The 5 has hard edges that I don't like, although this matters less because I use a TPU case on my 5.

12. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Logically, why would it? It runs exactly the same processor and RAM. There's not one feature a 5C has that a 5 doesn't. If anything, the 5C and 5 will stop at the same version of iOS, the 5S will probably get one more update after that.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I prefer the better design of the iPhone 5c; that said I uses a 5s, so the iPhone 5 isn't bad either.

14. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I thought I read somewhere long ago that the mic in the 5c is of lesser quality compared to the 5 but I'm not sure any more.

15. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

I've had both.

I had signal issues with the 5 in a lot of places, which are nonexistent with the 5C.

The battery life on the 5C is noticeably better.

The front camera is a bit of an improvement. Not huge, but noticeable when compared.

Those being said, the 5C is a little thicker, and obviously has a plastic backing over steel, as opposed to aluminum.

Personally, I'd go with the 5C. You get the warranty, a few solid upgrades, and a decent price. If you're dead set on the aluminum, spend a little extra for a 5S.

16. Maximus831 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again guys. I went and bought a green 5c for him. I figure when the iPhone 6 comes out, I'll give him my 5s and he can give his little sister the 5c. Any ideas which case I should get?

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No case.

18. 11bE5 macrumors 6502

11bE5

It's a hard one I loved my 5 bit 5c was amazing as well feel wise

19. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

Considering how much bacteria and germs are on most cellphones, I went with a waterproof case. I love how I can just wash it if it gets dirty and I don't worry anymore when I use it in the kitchen.

Take a look at the LifeProof case for the iPhone 5c. They sell two versions of the case: one with a screen protector and one without (both are waterproof).

20. Ann P, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014

Ann P macrumors 68020

How about Spigen's ultra hybrid case? Got this one for my brother's 5C because he didn't want to cover the back. Check out the buttons.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I know I'm late to the party, but I'll throw in my $.02 for a 5C over the 5 and no case is needed. Maybe a screen protector :D

22. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Because the iPhone 5c is a newer model by one year. It should get the same number of updates that the 5s would.

23. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I would get one of the Apple cases in the same or contrasting color. It helps make the phone less slippery and adds some drop protection.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It may be a newer model, but internally its an iPhone 5.

25. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

Get an Otterbox Defender or Commuter for the 5c. They're the best cases for people are rough house with their stuff; though they do add some thickness and weight.