Used MacBook Pro Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPad Retina, Jan 11, 2015.

1. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Hello all I have a mid 2010 MacBook pro and I find it really slow, and Id like to replace it with a used MacBook pro retina 15inch, possibly 1tb or 512gb

Which model year is the best, besides the newest one

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Before you replace your MBP, have you done any troubleshooting to determine the cause for the slow performance? What specific issues are you having that indicate slowness? What are the specs and what do you use a computer for?

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You failed to state how you'll be using the Mac, or your budget.

I'd say shooting in the dark, that the newer rMBPs will be faster then the older ones so go for one of those.

4. catan macrumors member

A late-2013 rMBP, since it is essentially the current model minus 0.2 GHz and cheaper still.

The biggest choices you have then are if you want a dGPU (750m) or not, and the 8 vs 16gb RAM.

5. iPad Retina, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015

iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

I will be using it for school work

Budget 1800

6. catan macrumors member

7. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

8. iPad Retina, Jan 12, 2015

iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

What model year is this one, I believe it's a early 2013

9. Joelburman, Jan 12, 2015

Joelburman macrumors regular

Joelburman

Depending on what your school work means I'd consider a ssd and/or ram upgrade if you aren't into cad/videogame programming or something like that. A 2010 macbook should still manage quite much.

10. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Sorry about how long it is, but

I'd also find the resolution very poor now, after using the iPhone.

Also my hardrive is full so, it's a good time to switch. I'm in no rush, so I just gotta wait for a deal to pop up.

I don't do any videogame programming, but maybe video editing during high school, and lots
    Of documents and plenty of photos (5000) and some movies and music and what not. Over all, I'm looking for a late 2013 or early 2013, preferably late 2013, for the haswall and better battery life.

And plus my MacBook pro is the basic one and is turning 5 years old.

Do you think the Mac is suitable for high school, even without the cd drive?

Thanks

LOL 15" Retina MacBook Pro's are cheaper then 13" ones

----------

My hardrive is full and for some reason I don't want to upgrade it because the hardrive money is 1/3 of the used rmbp. I just don't think its worth it

What do you guys think?

----------

I agree, by the time you upgrade the mbp to those specs, it's probably cost about the same as a rmbp

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

12. Crugga macrumors regular

Yep, ive got a late 2013 and my mate got the equivalent early 2014. Identical in every way but he as a 2.5 and me a 2.3 i7. I know the early 2013 was a different processor if I remember right.

Being someone that came from a mid 2010 to a late 2013 and using it fairly heavilly the difference was black and white. The flash storage is lightening and the retina is a nice bonus.

13. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

My personal recommendation would be a mid 2012 or early 2013 machine. The reason for this is that those machines come standard with a dedicated GPU and for every model after those it's been an optional extra with a salty price tag. That applies even to second hand machines. In my mind the only real benefit of the late 2013/early 2014 (which are basically the same machine) is a faster SSD.

I myself have been considering getting a second hand rMBP for almost a year and actually almost bought one (guy said he'd wait a couple of days for more offers and when somebody offered more than I did he sold it to him straight away without even letting me raise my offer). However I instead went with getting a much faster supplementary desktop that I can use for the heftier stuff (which in my case means OpenCL work, not games).

14. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

The SSDs on rMBPs are generally smaller than the HD on your MBP

15. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Good point but the battery life and the things that can go wrong, a new battery or new processor, I'm worried about this because im gonna use it during high school and i can't afford to use valuable documents btw I don't really like carrying a external hardrive around

----------

This one was just sold

16. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Oh my god i had the same problem legit broke my MacBook Pro wouldn't start, so yeah last year i got the late 2013 15 'retina with dual graphics because of college and school. Get the 512 gb, because your most likely going to use an external hard drive to back up. You have multiple options here get the retina mac 15 inch for about 2599. If you need help finding an retina mac, just message me but i bought mine from apple and new.

17. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

That's why but I found one with Apple care still dec 2015 mid 2012 16gb ram 512gb mid 2012 2.7ghz

And same specs early 2013

18. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

I have stumbled through this one ad it feels like a scam 1400 to 1100

Hello

I appreciate your interest in my add macbook, first of all I
    want to assure that there's nothing wrong with it ,exactly as you see
    it in the pics . The macbook is new. My final price is $1100 with
    delivery/handling included and it is not negotiable because the macbook
    is new.I am leaving to US the next week with my new job as an actor
    for a TV commercial ,and i need money urgent.Before leaving,I had prearranged the deal with
    eBay so my presence isn't necessary.You have 14 days to inspect and to try on the macbook.If you don't like it,the eBay will give you the money back.They will not give me any money
    until you receive and test the macbook.The delivery cost is included in
    the total price of the macbook.Terminals are Canada version not US version
    So if you want to make this deal I need the following details from you:

-full name and address

-delivery address

-phone number

After I will have all this details I will forward them to eBay and I
    will proceed the order. They will contact you with all the details
    that you need to complete this deal and also to see that i am covered
    by them and that I am legit seller. Waiting your email with the
    requested details.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Please I need your guys help

19. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

The batteries in Apple's unibody machines do last for several years (I've got a 2011 machine and don't plan on replacing the HDD anytime soon) and the difference between a 2012 and 2013 machine is not going to be particularly big unless the 2012 machine has seen some seriously intensive use.

On the processor front we're talking about pretty tiny differences and the GPU difference isn't that great ether. If you're worried about the limited storage you might was well take a chance with a 2011 model or one of the rare non-retina 2012 models that still had higher capacity mechanical drives.

However the main issue is have is that you really don't need a personal laptop for high school unless you live in a really crappy area where the school won't have decent public use machines and even in those kinds of areas a $1000+ machine will be a thief magnet. That money is much better spent being put into a college fund or a car to pull chicks.

20. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

I will be using it at home for school work

21. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

my computer has over 600 battery cycles and isn't holding the charge as long as before

22. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

That's defo a scam.

23. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Scam. Stay far away from that. Do not give any personal information out.

24. predation macrumors 6502a

save yourself the money and upgrade the hdd and ram yourself on your current laptop. i believe 2010 or 2011 was the last year those parts of the computer were user servicable

i just put in a samsung evo sdd and 8gb of ram on my 2010 macbook pro and basically got another year or two out of it lol

25. cairene2011 Guest

You mention video editing in high school. How about a Macbook Air? I used a maxed out Air (1.7 GHz, 8GB) for university and it also handled the occasional video editing with iMovie very well. Also it was light and small enough to accompany me to class and the current ones have long enough battery life (12hrs) for an entire school day without a charge. With the new Retina Airs coming out, you might get a very good deal on a 2014 one.
    With such a light computer you'll also save some space in your bag, so you could bring an external 1TB hard drive.

If you want the Retina screen, how about the base line 13" Retina Macbook Pro? It will still be small and portable enough to take to class. When I was in High School in 2009, I made the mistake to spend the earnings of three summer jobs on a 15" MBP. While it was a fantastic machine, it was far too powerful and expensive and quite difficult to schlepp around everyday. Granted, they are thinner and lighter these days, but why pay money for performance you may not need till college?

PS: Yes, that offer that you posted does indeed sound like a scam. Better get Education discount from Apple in order to save a buck, these shady things are not worth your time regardless how cheap they sound.