Used macbook pro worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by massy18, Oct 22, 2010.

1. massy18 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have recently won an auction on ebay for a used macbook pro 13" that is one years old. The owner proclaims that the machine was used only a few times and that its in mint condition with no scratches or anything. I won the laptop for $910. It also includes applecare, which expires in september 18 2012. Do you believe I got my money's worth?

2. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

If it truly is in "mint" condition, then yes, I think it's worth what you paid for it. I was shopping for year old 13" Macbook Pros recently, and that is in the standard price range. The Applecare is a big plus too.

Also, in the worst case scenario, if the laptop arrives to you and it is clearly badly dinged up and scratched, then you can file an eBay complaint since he advertised it as "mint".

3. massy18 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

No problem. In the future if you want to know what the standard selling price is, look use the "Completed Listings" feature on eBay.

5. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

The only issue you may have is battery health. you can check that with the iStat Dashboard widget.

6. massy18 thread starter macrumors newbie

but i wouldnt be able to check until after i receive the laptop? I cannot return it.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

did you check the seller's rating? ... chances are with Apple Care you are fine

Only if it had water damage or has been abused should you worry ... that price range tells me the seller is looking to buy new themselves

8. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

hmmm, yeah, that makes things complicated. And if the MBP was "used only a few times" but not stored properly, there's an increased risk about the battery.
    Maybe you may ask the seller to make a screenshot of Coconut battery running. It's a free app.

9. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

if youre near a microcenter, you can pick up a brand new macbook pro for $999.

10. massy18 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes I checked the seller's rating, he has 100% feedback.

I'm gonna try to look for a macbook pro that's a few months old instead..

11. massy18 thread starter macrumors newbie

I never heard of that. Can you tell me more about it?

12. massy18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it does...I will ask the seller more questions. He is giving me a week to give the payment before he decides to relist it.

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

14. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

It's true that Microcenter gives a great discount, but I don't think $999 would include Applecare, which is fairly expensive.

15. massy18 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did but sadly I don't live by one :(

16. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

before you get disappointed ... because in your original post, you seemed happy to win the ebay auction.

Buying Re-furbished online from Apple is your best bet ... why?

1. you are still buying direct from Apple

2. Apple has given the machine a proper check-up

3. comes with 1 year AppleCare

4. if you buy with a credit card ... you may have an extra year of warranty through your credit card company.

5. Re-Furbished does not mean something was ever wrong with it ... most of the time it is someone who bought and returned it right away because they think they should have got a bigger,hi-res screen, anti-glare, more CPU, etc etc

6.5. and most important ... it has not been used for a year by someone ... with refurb from Apple ... you will be the first user.

I hate to see you take a chance on something you want to really enjoy over the next 3 years

good luck:cool:

17. massy18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses!

I've decided to bet on a MBP with less age..I'm just not gonna risk it! The reason I'm avoiding buying directly from apple is because I don't want to pay tax.

18. deus ex machina macrumors regular

An advantage to EBay would be not paying sales tax.

Since you have the extended warranty, you did fine. By and by, you did not mention the configuration. If it is the 2GB model.... well you could have done better.

19. iprashant.menon macrumors newbie

IMO, the only MBP worth buying is a refurb or used or non-logic board damaged ones. If you put in a little work, and with a little bit of help from ifixit.com, they can be a real bargain.

I set myself up with a MBP originally retailing at 2Gs for $700.

20. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

Does that mean you're backing out of the winning bid? Are there consequences?

21. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

You should've thought of the potential downsides of buying a used computer from eBay before placing a bid. You've entered into a contract with the seller and now you're backing out. That's complete b.s if you ask me, especially since sellers have little, if any, recourse these days.

This is exactly why I insist on instant payment whenever I list used stuff on eBay. If you change your mind after-the-fact, too bad.

22. iprashant.menon macrumors newbie

Actually with paypal's protection if the buyer is in any way dissatisfied, justified or not, they're entitled to full money back, so insisting on instant payment is useless.

23. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Huh? I don't see anything about a 100% satisfication guarantee on the PayPal Purchase Protection webpage. Only if the item hasn't arrived or isn't as described does PayPal step in.

Regardless, forcing the buyer to cough up the money right after they win the auction avoids the hemming and hawing that the OP is going through right now. It also makes the buyer seriously think through his purchasing decision before clicking that "Bid Now" button.

The buyer in this thread is really hanging the seller out to dry. $h!t like this is what contributes to eBay's faltering reputation.

24. SidBala macrumors 6502a

100% agreed.

I recently bought myself a 11 month old MBP 17 for $1200 off Craigslist. No Apple care, no guarantees. I bought it in near perfect condition and it is still going very strong.

However, this route is not recommended if you don't know/want to fix the computer yourself.