Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
I saw an ad for a 160GB AppleTV and I have to say that I am tempted to buy it. Is there a benefit to having the original one as opposed to buying either the AppleTV2 or 3? Thanks.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
They have an internal hard drive for locally storing media. This and analog out are the only two notable advantage over the Apple TV 2/3. The hard drive is good for loading your media onto it and traveling with it. Say to a hotel or a remote place with only electricity and (hopefully) running water.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
They have an internal hard drive for locally storing media. This and analog out are the only two notable advantage over the Apple TV 2/3. The hard drive is good for loading your media onto it and traveling with it. Say to a hotel or a remote place with only electricity and (hopefully) running water.

I didn't think about the traveling possibility. Is there a way to use it as a DVR or something to record live TV, or anything like that?

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
I use them for product demos because they store video. There are newer, cheaper Western Digital TV units that play videos stored on USB sticks which we now prefer, but the original AppleTV is great if you've purchased a lot of movies from iTunes, because it will store them. So will an iPad, but it doesn't store as much.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
I use them for product demos because they store video. There are newer, cheaper Western Digital TV units that play videos stored on USB sticks which we now prefer, but the original AppleTV is great if you've purchased a lot of movies from iTunes, because it will store them. So will an iPad, but it doesn't store as much.

Thanks for the response. I just upgraded my iMac with 8 GB RAM and 3TB HDD, so personal storage isn't as necessary as it once was. I was just hoping that there were some other not so well known functions that would make the purchase worthwhile. I don't think it seems to be worth my money.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Also, the original AppleTV only had 720p output. The brand new, $99 AppleTV has 1080p, but I don't know if iTunes has content above 720p yet.

Last edited:

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Is there a benefit to having the original one as opposed to buying either the AppleTV2 or 3? Thanks.
Besides the storage, and more output options ... if you want to hack it you have infinitely more options. XBMC running linux rocks and with a CrystalHD chip for 40 bucks you can have true 1080p output rendered to your display that will eat raw decrypted blu ray. I have all 3 and prefer the modded atv 1 personally. Like all things its just an opinion.

aeolyn5601

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Also, the original AppleTV only had 720p output. The brand new, $99 AppleTV has 1080p, but I don't know if iTunes has content at 720p yet.

iTunes has had 720p content for a while now, and even some content at 1080p

whoiare

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
Besides the storage, and more output options ... if you want to hack it you have infinitely more options. XBMC running linux rocks and with a CrystalHD chip for 40 bucks you can have true 1080p output rendered to your display that will eat raw decrypted blu ray. I have all 3 and prefer the modded atv 1 personally. Like all things its just an opinion.

to echo this comment:

if you are an avid XBMC user/apple eco system enthusiast/and have a large 1080p TV/projector then this is the ONLY way to go

crystalbuntu on an ATV1 with w crystal HD card inside will run 1080p via HDMI perfectly.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
This guy hacked it and uses it as a media server.

Thanks for linking to that thread. I had no idea you could do that on an AppleTV1. I already use my 2009 iMac with a 3TB HDD as a media server since I primarily use my MBP now. I was just hoping that there was a benefit to having the older one as opposed to the newer versions. I like the idea of having local storage and maybe that would be the way to go if I could fit a high capacity drive in there, but I think that's a long way off.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

I like this thought. Not to mention you can upgrade the storage to 250 GB.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
But do you guys think that the benefit of local storage is worth the $100+ price tag? Two that I saw are 160GB and they are priced at $110 and $150 respectively.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
But do you guys think that the benefit of local storage is worth the $100+ price tag? Two that I saw are 160GB and they are priced at $110 and $150 respectively.

Currently the AppleTV sells for $99 and only gives you a local 8GB storage (which you can't even access directly).

I would gladly take the 160GB version and pay those $150. It is all about storage.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I like this thought. Not to mention you can upgrade the storage to 250 GB.

320 using just a PATA drive or 1.5TB using a SATA to PATA adapter.

To some people it is worth the extra money. Are you planning to do lots or traveling? Is your home network really slow making streaming media difficult to use? Do you not want to use Apple's iTunes Cloud for media playback and don't want to leave a local machine on just to be able to playback media? Do you have a slow internet connection or an unreliable one?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I just had a guy buy mine because he still had a HDTV he liked but it didn't have HDMI (he needed component). So he now has a couple of :apple:TV 3s and what was my :apple:TV1.

Now that i have a "3", I still think the final incarnation of the "1s" UI was the best :apple:TV UI yet. I wish Apple would go back to putting our own movies under "movies", our own TV shows under "TV shows", etc. (instead of sticking it all in "computers").

And I miss the sync (to local storage) option (though I would rather Apple just let us hook whatever size storage we want to a normalized USB port instead of choosing a size to build inside).

And, by the way, shop craigslist for the "1". I sold mine for $65 there. $100 or so more would buy the 320GB internal replacement (drive) via Ebay.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Also note that the linux / xbmc mod allows the use of its usb port for remote storage as well as hooking up say a usb dvd drive ... etc ... etc. Its really quite flexible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.