Using 3G Safari and Location Services

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by domcole, Jul 18, 2008.

1. domcole macrumors regular

Hi,

I've been using Wi-Fi in my house to browse the internet, it's great. I went out today and tried to go on Safari but when I clicked it a message popped up saying "Safari can't open the page because it's not connected to the internet"

I had Wi-Fi turned off

3G Turned on

Location services on then I turned it to off

I had one or two bars on the top left of the phone but the above message came up.

Any ideas?
    Thank you.

EDIT: I've just seen a picture of the iPhone with 3G turned on and it looked different to mine. My signal bar looked slightly different and it didn't say 3G in a box on the top left even though it said it was on in the settings :confused:

I'm comparing it to this picture http://www.mobilegazette.com/handsets/apple/apple-iphone-3g/apple-iphone-3g-black.jpg

Someone must know...

2. HeavenDivine macrumors member

you obviously didnt have a 3g signal. how are the bars different? do you mean yours are smaller? if so, again poor signal.

3. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

The signal bar could be blue. This is normal.
    If it doesn't say '3G' in the top corner, then you're not in a 3g area.

4. sydgurley macrumors newbie

3g Problems

I had the same problem, but the solution could be several issues

First, check with ATT to make sure your data plan is turned on.
    Second, make sure you are in a 3G area.
    Third, if you still don't have a 3G symbol in the upper left of the display, do a network reset on your IPHONE

If this doesn't work, call Apple/IPHONE support -- they were great in fixing the problem for me

5. domcole thread starter macrumors regular

Hi thanks for the reply,

1/ I'll get a screenshot up asap, just after the battery has finished charging!

And for the 'not 3G area,' oh crap. I live in Nottingham, UK, it's not in the middle of no where and I don't live where there are huge buildings etc.

I shouldn't have just 'assumed.'

Nothing I can do then?

2/ Earlier on today, when I was out and about, I turned off 3G (assuming when I went on Safari it would turn back to Edge) and that < wasn't the case; just the same message. "Couldn't load the page because it's not connected to the internet."

Am I doing something wrong?

3/ Does most parts of the UK have 3G?

Any comments would be appreciated.

6. domcole thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

Thats interesting, thank you.

I'm in the UK and on o2. I can make calls and make and receive texts etc so surely it must be turned on?

How can I check if I'm in a 3G area?

I'll do a network reset when it's finished charging.

I appreciate your help.

7. domcole thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

Ok, I reset the network settings and it didn't make any difference.

I turned 3G on but the 3G logo didn't come on but it looked like I had a signal :confused:

Domcole

8. SlapMonkey macrumors regular

In each of your post you fail to mention what logo is coming up if any. If there is no "3G" logo are you getting an "E" logo or a Square with a Blue Dot in the middle, a blank white box or nothing there at all?

9. domcole thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

Sorry for the lack of information, it's charging at the moment and I can't remember off the top of my head. I'll get some screenshots like I mentioned before asap :)

I know there wasn't an E though.

Thanks SlapMonkey.

10. domcole thread starter macrumors regular

Hi all, I appreciate your time to help me with my issue. There definitely is something wrong, just not sure how to resolve it.

Below are the screenshots I took-

1/ Here is the Homescreen with 3G enabled and Wi-Fi enabled

[​IMG]

2/ Here is the Homescreen with 3G disabled and Wi-Fi disabled

[​IMG]

3/ Here is the Network screen- as you can see 3G is enabled, data roaming is on (not sure what it is/if it should be on or not), VPN is 'Not Configured'- is this normal? Again, not sure if this should be like this or not; or what it's for. The Wi-Fi is also on.

[​IMG]

4/ This is the Wi-Fi Networks screenshot- Wi-Fi is on and connected to my home wireless network ok.

[​IMG]

5/ This is interesting along with the others- the main Settings page. The Wi-Fi is connected perfectly ok to my home wireless, however the logo is greyed out, along with the carrier :confused:

[​IMG]

11. HeavenDivine macrumors member

LoL

When wifi is on and connected you get the wifi symbol inplace of the 3G icon. if wifi is off, and 3G is on, you will get the 3G icon (if you are under 3G coverage). you have less bars when 3g is on probably because theres poor signal. when 3g is off you gain more bars because it will use edge or gsm wich has LOTS of covergae.

but dude, i dont know why u covered up the symbols in one of your photos with ur writin in paint??? makes no sense when ur tryin to show us the symbols.

The logo isnt greyed out, thats how they are. your a n000b lol :D

12. domcole thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I came on here to get help and advice, not to be patronized by you. Ok, I have had the phone for twenty four hours therefore I don't know the phone inside out. It's my first iPhone.

If you had read the thread properly, you would grasp the fact that even though the 3G is turned on, with a few bars of signal no logo appears.

I wouldn't block the logo intentionally, however if you had read it properly you would know I don't see the logo.

IT'S NOT THERE!

13. HeavenDivine macrumors member

That would be because it is searching for a 3g network, hence no bars and no logo. It wont display the logo unless its connected and has bars.

BTW, look up the definition of patronize.

Sometimes a little common sense is needed too.

14. Ryan.Fork macrumors member

Could you show us this pic again without the extra text written on it?

15. Marky macrumors regular

I'll try and help.

In the settings area on my iPhone,:

VPN is set to 'not configured' the same as yours, I believe this is for configuring for getting access to secure work/uni internal networks or somesuch, so don't worry about that.

If WiFi is on then regardless of whether 3g is on or not, if you are in a connectable WiFi area (such as your own home WiFi) then it will connect via the WiFi and not show you any 3G symbol, just the WiFi symbol.

However if you turn WiFi off and you are in a 3G area with signal, you should see the 3G logo.

If I've done this right then two photos are attached.

Attached Files:

16. Marky macrumors regular

Ok posted earlier than meant to! :D

With WiFi turned off what if anything do you get where on mine you could see a small 3G logo - in that spot do you get:

A Square with a dot in the middle of it?

A capital E?

or hopefully a 3G logo?

To check for 3G coverage by O2

click here:

http://www.webmap.o2.co.uk/

for 3G coverage choose the bottom of the three options (HSDPA)

Hope this is of some help.

Marky

17. domcole thread starter macrumors regular

Hello there,

Yes, sure just give me a second to get to my PC.

Currently on my iPhone.

Thank you.

18. domcole thread starter macrumors regular

Hi there, thanks for the detailed information.

Unfortunatly, when I turn wi-fi off the 3G logo still doesn't appear even though the 3G is enabled, wi-fi is off. I still have a three bloody bar signal occasionally!

I appreciate your time.

19. HeavenDivine macrumors member

for the LAST time. you have no 3G Logo BECAUSE there is no 3G signal where you are! Mobile phone work from the cellular signals, 3g is a type of signal and data connection, when your not in the converage area, there will be NO 3G logo, have u not tryed going into city centres with it yet?

EDIT: also, wifi has NOTHING to do with 3g. it just happens to cover the logo. when wifi is on u are still recieving a signal.

20. domcole thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, thanks for that. Says I've got full coverage though. No idea what's wrong...

21. markku macrumors member

domcole:

Hello. Actually, i live on the Derbyshire/Notts border but often go into the Nottingham city centre. I've experienced the same problems too.

For example, I got my phone on Friday 11th and used it for the first time the following Monday in the city. 3G was enabled and it was working so smoothly. I went then into Caffee Nero and enabled my BT Openzone account, so whenever i'm say within a 50 meters of a BT Openzone hot spot I get automatically connected to it, no matter where it's based. (I usually get a wifi spot in the old market square too when going past on the tram). So the 3G signal would drop and automatically connect to the Wifi network and vice versa.

But yes, However on the following Wednesday I went to Nottingham and noticed for some reason I couldn't get any 3G signal, not even EDGE. I wondered why this was. Alas, Nottingham is the only place around here where I can get a 3G signal so I couldn't really tell if it was my phone or if it was a problem with O2's 3G signal. But i'm going back there monday so i'll try it then.

Nottingham usually has a REALLY good 3G signal so for those who say 'obviously 3G isn't enabled in that area', that simply isn't true. All I can say is if you still live within the 3G proximity and still can't get the 3G signal, give O2 a phone and see what they say. It may be a local issue or it may be a problem specific with the iphone itself.

As for "Safari can't open the page because it's not connected to the internet", I get this too even when i'm in a bog standard GPRS area usually when soon taking it out of standby. The best thing I find is to just take it out of standby and give it a few mins to connect back to the data connection. If after a while it doesn't work, just turn your phone on and off and it should come back when your phone re-registers back with the O2 network.

Alas, please let me know how you get on! Personally I think it has something to do with O2's signal around here. I shall be back in the city on Monday and I shall give it a whirl then.

.mark

BTW, where in Nottingham are you trying this out?

22. DJ88 macrumors regular

^^^

23. tiguk macrumors 6502

Call O2, get them to enable data on your Sim, et vóila!

It really does sound like your phone's not data enabled. And no, sending texts doesn't count.

24. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Regardless, you have four (4) options
    -Square with circle
    -Square with E
    -Square with 3G
    -1-4 WiFi bars

25. domcole thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you

/