Using a lot of data in 2 days...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aaronchow, Sep 13, 2011.

1. aaronchow, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

aaronchow macrumors regular

I bought an iPhone for my father two days ago so I am able to track his whereabouts. When I came to visit him today, my father proudly showed me what he has done: streaming YouTube over 3G for 2 days and replying emails to his oversea friends with SMS (it really takes a genius to figure this one out...).

My father is very afraid of technology. I bought him a computer long time ago but it took months of encouragement before he sent his first email. So when I bought him an iPhone, I encouraged him to "play with it" after I set up his phone, but somehow he was able to disable the WiFi and start streaming YouTube, so I am expecting a really big bill... ><

I tried to call AT&T but their customer service center is closed, and I am hoping that AT&T will allow me to set some kind of data cap on my father's data plan (fingers crossed). If not, then I will probably hide the YouTube app so that my father won't be able to use it...

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Great story. Start a blog about it. Were you actually asking a question?

3. aaronchow thread starter macrumors regular

I am just venting more than asking a question. I really can't do anything until tomorrow morning to see how much the bill is going to be. /s

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You might have some luck if you explain the situation and keep asking for people's supervisors when you're on the phone, but I don't believe AT&T has any mechanism for actually capping data usage.

You could also check out the iPhone Configuration Utility from Apple. It's a pseudo-enterprise management tool that allows you to place some restrictions on apps, etc. although I don't believe it goes down as far as disallowing Youtube on 3G. Might be worth a shot, though.

5. aaronchow thread starter macrumors regular

I will try. If not, I will disable his 3G so that his phone will run on edge only... Thanks

6. ABCDEFGHIJKLMAO macrumors member

can you disable 3g and only use edge? when its not jailbreak?

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

^^ I don't think so, no.

I doubt that AT&T will let you put a 'cap' on the data usage also.

8. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Yes, under Settings > General > Network > Enable 3G

And OP, why don't you tell your Dad not to disable Wifi and don't use the phone too much.

9. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Agree with heehee. Just tell him that data is expensive and it would be nice if he didn't use too much.

10. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

i know you are able to disable apps in settings. Disable youtube. Or tell him not to watch youtube. Has he actually used all his data? go to settings - general-usage to find out :)

11. aaronchow thread starter macrumors regular

I got in touch with AT&T and was told that my bill will be around $400. It is not as bad as I thought. My father only uses about 5GB of data, but it is the SMS/MMS that piles up the bill. They are like $2 per message when you send one oversea, and they can not and will not put a cap on the plan, which sucks.

My father doesn't understand the difference between text messaging and emailing, so I kindly told my father not to use that app at all and show him the proper way to reply to an email, and I told him not to turn off the WiFi as well.

In his mind, YouTube = Entire Internet. So I will have to spend some time showing him around the net and hopefully he will have hobbies other than watching videos. Wish me luck /s

12. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

13. aaronchow thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, by streaming YouTube from morning to night for two days. It is fun. Try it :p

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No words, wow. 5 GB of data is a lot on a phone, even for me.

15. ThemacNub macrumors regular

i dont think youtube was what he was streaming :p