Using a mini to shuttle between locations

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by voyager77, Jun 25, 2012.

1. voyager77 macrumors member

I am contemplating getting a mini to use on 2 locations.
    I would carry it back and forth between those locations on a daily basis.
    I already have one spare screen, keyboard and mouse, so i would only need to purchase a second screen.

Now i do have a few concerns:
    Is the mini sturdy enough to do this every day? Would the ports, mostly the display ones, suffer from the daily unplugging?

The screens between the 2 locations would be different, will the mini detect this without flaw and adjust to it, including things like desktop layout and color calibration profiles?

I assume choosing a wifi network would go without fault as it does on my old (now broken) macbook.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it will all work just fine.

3. Panther Al macrumors member

Its more or less what I do and I have yet to see any issues, so go for it.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

This would work fine. I might suggest one thing. Try an SSD. Takes one set of moving parts out of the equation :)

5. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

the other model is move your osx external thunderbolt drive back and forth. this is more costly I know a few people with iMacs that do this.

6. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

It should be OK if you shut down the mini properly so that the HDD is parked. It is much like taking a notebook around since the mini is built with mobile parts. As somebody else suggested, using one SSD or two may further enhance the safety; it also reduces the weight.

If the usage at one location is light, you may consider another option: Carry a MacBook Air between the two locations (just use the Air at the location of light usage). This option also allows you to use the computer elsewhere (for example, in a library, at a park, on the go, etc) besides the said locations.