Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogercorke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
I much prefer a PC keyboard with a Mac and, in System Preferences, I have remapped it so that, when I press the Control key, it acts as the Mac Command key. When I use a Word document, I can now press Control F to find a word and Control P to print. But when I press Control S the Word document still won't save. I have to type Alt and S on the PC keyboard to save. Does anyone know of a way of remapping the keyboard so that you can you save a Word document by pressing Control S?

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
What does Word say the keyboard shortcut is for Save? (Open the file menu and see what the key combo is). It is ⌘S (Command-S) by default, so your Ctrl-S should be working. Is it showing something else, like ⌥S (Option-S/Alt-S) for you? If so, check to make sure you don't have a File->Save shortcut listed for ⌥S in your Keyboard App Shortcuts.

These App Shortcuts are another way to change keyboard shortcuts to your liking. I also use a PC keyboard, but have learned to use the default key mappings and Mac shortcuts. Ctrl=Control, Alt(ernate) is just another word for Option, and the Windows key looks similar to the Command (⌘) key. Just as an example, the screenshot below shows a keyboard shortcut for Word to use the (unmapped) Control/Ctrl key. This is specific to Word, but it could be done for All Applications instead.

1651678561259.png
1651675829095.png

Last edited:

rjboris

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2022
Pckeyboards dot com has a keyboard (i've been using them for years) that fully reproduces the mechanical ibm pc keyboard with a Mac keyboard layout. If you like "clickey" keyboards and don't mind the usb cable, this is the keyboard for you.

rogercorke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
What does Word say the keyboard shortcut is for Save? (Open the file menu and see what the key combo is). It is ⌘S (Command-S) by default, so your Ctrl-S should be working. Is it showing something else, like ⌥S (Option-S/Alt-S) for you? If so, check to make sure you don't have a File->Save shortcut listed for ⌥S in your Keyboard App Shortcuts.

These App Shortcuts are another way to change keyboard shortcuts to your liking. I also use a PC keyboard, but have learned to use the default key mappings and Mac shortcuts. Ctrl=Control, Alt(ernate) is just another word for Option, and the Windows key looks similar to the Command (⌘) key. Just as an example, the screenshot below shows a keyboard shortcut for Word to use the (unmapped) Control/Ctrl key. This is specific to Word, but it could be done for All Applications instead.

View attachment 2000821 View attachment 2000800
Just got back to the computer that wouldn't let me save a Word document using Control S - changed the shortcuts as you suggested and it works! Thank you so much

rogercorke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011

View attachment 2000821 View attachment 2000800
As this works for saving documents in Word can it work for other Apps? In particular, If I click on a list in other apps and press Control and A, it doesn't highlight the whole list. What would I change in Shortcuts to allow this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.