Using a time machine backup on new Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by insignificantMB, Jun 13, 2009.

1. insignificantMB macrumors member

Am I able to use the backup from apple's time machine to make a copy of my mac onto another mac?
    Are there any drawbacks?
    Does all the software and files move over?
    Thanks!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Yes - During the setup of the new Mac, the Migration Assistant will give you the option of using a previous Time Machine backup for migration. All your apps, user account, data, and settings can be migrated (or selected parts).

3. insignificantMB thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a Lot!
    I needed a quick reply. I am selling my macbook pro tomorrow to a friend.

Can I just delete the user account on my current macbook pro and be trouble free? Like with all my credit card info and stuffs. Also, does the software stays on too?
    Thanks!

4. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

i think the least you should do it put in the original install disk and make a clean install..

just deleting the user isn't enough... take an hour and be safER

5. insignificantMB thread starter macrumors member

My friend wants the software I have on the computer though. Would it be really easy to find credit card numbers on my laptop?
    I remember hearing an apple genius tell me that once I delete my user, all of the information from it goes away.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...a fresh install and "0" out your HDD are the safest bet to keep your data safe.

What you do with the software is your concern...

7. findwaldonow macrumors member

I know it's a friend but...

I'm pretty paranoid about this kind of stuff. The bottom line is that it's a computer possibly chock full of your information, that you're not going to have control over anymore. The best way is obviously to replace the hard drive completely, format it, install OSX, and the app thing is up to you, install them fresh or don't.

At minimum what I do is this if I'm not going to replace the hard drive completely:
    1) Use a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke which writes zeroes and ones all over the drive over the course of however many passes you tell it to. They have a Mac version.
    2)Install OSX Fresh
    3)Do whatever you want as far as putting Apps on it.
    4)Hand the computer over.

I wouldn't just do this from a straight-forward security standpoint, but also in case info did get out you have one less possible source and aren't blaming your friend for something that may or may not be their fault. It's good peace of mind.

8. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Also as a fair amount forget this step until it's too late, de-authorize iTunes and then do the rest (don't forget to save or move your music first). This happened to me once and only once since then.
    Good luck!

9. insignificantMB thread starter macrumors member

Is it really easy to retrieve already erased data or something? Because thats what it sounds like.
    Maybe I should just get a new social security number, if that is possible and new credit card numbers.
    The problem is I agreed to sell it today, and reformatting then reinstalling all the apps would take like 4 hours.