Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
It works...

However, I thought the goal is to send messages without using text message.

I like the PUSH idea using Yahoo, except that Yahoo doesn't really push for me and neither is Me.com.

M0bile

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
It works...

However, I thought the goal is to send messages without using text message.

The goal is to use text messaging without being charged for a text message. Because you are sending the SMS through AIM, you are not being charged for a text message, it is being sent as data (going towards your unlimited $30/month plan).

Mercuric Oxide

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
NYC
The goal is to use text messaging without being charged for a text message. Because you are sending the SMS through AIM, you are not being charged for a text message, it is being sent as data (going towards your unlimited $30/month plan).

So what you guys are saying is - when you send a text through AIM and the receiver replies to it, their text pops up in AIM (not in your SMS program)?

I just assumed that I could avoid outgoing texts, but I didn't think the person's responses would appear in AIM rather than a regular SMS.

M0bile

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
So what you guys are saying is - when you send a text through AIM and the receiver replies to it, their text pops up in AIM (not in your SMS program)?

I just assumed that I could avoid outgoing texts, but I didn't think the person's responses would appear in AIM rather than a regular SMS.

Yes. When a person responds to a text message sent through AIM they can respond to it. Their response comes back as an instant message in your AIM client, whether you're on a PC, Mac, or in the AIM app. on iPhone. For example, this is what it looks like when I texted my friend's phone in iChat:

example.jpg

g00dbye

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
Raleigh/Boone, NC
TO SEND AN SMS TEXT MESSAGE IN AIM / ADD A PHONE NUMBER INTO BUDDY LIST:
Send your text message to / insert screen name as "+1##########". THE +1 IS ESSENTIAL. Following the +1, insert the phone number you wish to text to (###)###-####. So, if your friend's phone number is (987)654-3210 you would send the IM/SMS to "+19876543210" and his screen name would be "+19876543210". Super easy.

On iChat I do not have the cell phone icon. On iPhone AIM I do.

Thank you VERY much!

Mercuric Oxide

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
NYC
Yes. When a person responds to a text message sent through AIM they can respond to it. Their response comes back as an instant message in your AIM client, whether you're on a PC, Mac, or in the AIM app. on iPhone. For example, this is what it looks like when I texted my friend's phone in iChat:

example.jpg

Awesome!

But you guys may wanna keep 200 texts, as you may still get a random incoming text from someone.

This works well for conversations you initiate, but your friends may text you first, and that 1 text will count as SMS.

Then you can just respond to that text in AIM and have them reply to it to use IMs, but if they initiate through their phone, that will count as SMS.

circusbass

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
They can just reply with an SMS message and it'll go right to your AIM. Right now there is no notification service, but come september it'll be perfect, and be my SMS replacement probably. Email seems slow even with Yahoo!

What happens in September?

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Well, I thought the goal is to eliminate SMS from both parties? This will only solve one end where the party has access to AIM, the other party is still paying SMS for receiving and replying.

a1rjumpman23

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
so lets say im on wifi and i send a text to a mobile number. Will i be charged as to sending the text or receiving one back?

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
It will run a background process, which means...?
Maybe Push, Push alone would be sufficient.

Basically it'll notify you, sort of the same way that Push emails like ActiveSync is doing. Right now IM can only be done when your program is active, and which means you will miss a lot of messages unless you sit there all day and chat online.

mcmacmike

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
Using AIM for texting

I got it to work fine, but i have a question. How do I make the phone numbers I add in a group show their nickname instead of a phone number? It would be so much easier to know who I'm texting. If anyone knows how to do this please post. Thanks!

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
does anyone still know if wifi is free text message?

Yes.

The only issue is that some people that I don't know that well still text my phone number, and those texts add up. This is a good way to get a bunch of free texts though! I've been using this on AIM for years!

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
Does the AIM client on the iPhoen support adding pictures and stuff to messages like the desktop client does? If so, can you use this as an alternative to send picture messages?:confused:

M0bile

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Awesome!

But you guys may wanna keep 200 texts, as you may still get a random incoming text from someone.

This works well for conversations you initiate, but your friends may text you first, and that 1 text will count as SMS.

Then you can just respond to that text in AIM and have them reply to it to use IMs, but if they initiate through their phone, that will count as SMS.

Yes, I'm having 200 texts for this month as a transition month to get everyone to start sending texts to my GMail account. You can call 611 (AT&T customer service) and block all text messaging.

Create an email account, as I did, and have your friends text to that address. I made a GMail account of my number, #######@gmail.com, so that it's easy to remember. That way you don't have to open AIM if a friend texts you, you can just reply inside the Mail app.

Well, I thought the goal is to eliminate SMS from both parties? This will only solve one end where the party has access to AIM, the other party is still paying SMS for receiving and replying.

It could be, but my goal (and I think everyone else's) is trying to solely eliminate your own text messaging charges. None of my friends are paying $30 for an unlimited data plan. ;)

Native IM program that will run background process.

It will not run background processes, however it will use PUSH.

so lets say im on wifi and i send a text to a mobile number. Will i be charged as to sending the text or receiving one back?

If you are sending a text to a mobile number within the AIM client, then it is free to send and receive.

Does the AIM client on the iPhoen support adding pictures and stuff to messages like the desktop client does? If so, can you use this as an alternative to send picture messages?:confused:

I don't think so. I haven't tried it, but last I checked there was no "insert file" or "direct connect" option within the AIM iPhone app. I don't believe you can send pictures or audio clips or any other files from a Mac or PC either.

I got it to work fine, but i have a question. How do I make the phone numbers I add in a group show their nickname instead of a phone number? It would be so much easier to know who I'm texting. If anyone knows how to do this please post. Thanks!

I don't know about this one. In my iChat I have all of the numbers as nicknames. For some reason they do not show up that way on the AIM app.

M0bile

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
EDIT: Adding a nickname to a cell phone number on your buddy list or to a buddy you are adding to your list within the AIM app does nothing. I added nicknames to all of my numbers on iChat on my Mac and nothing has changed.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
EDIT: Adding a nickname to a cell phone number on your buddy list or to a buddy you are adding to your list within the AIM app does nothing. I added nicknames to all of my numbers on iChat on my Mac and nothing has changed.

Adding cellphone numbers in the form of +19876543210 to the IM section of someones address book page does replace the number on your iChat. :D So maybe in the future, if we see an iChat we will see screenname support in the addressbook (Currently no field) and this could be read by AIM to give alias

brian5

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
CT, USA
I'm using AIM and GMail as a combo-alternative to text messages.

<<snip>>

GMail:
I noticed a few days before iDay 2 that my RAZR V3c could send text messages to an email address. Therefore, I went to GMail and set up an email account that was my cell number, -------@gmail.com. I told all of my friends to send text messages to me there from now on and it works beautifully. You can respond and everything and it only counts as a text for your friend. I would recommend everyone do the same!

You can block text messaging by calling 611 and talking to customer service.
This GMail idea sounds like a good one but GMail does not allow login names of cell numbers such as 12125551212 --- it says "Sorry, usernames of 8 or more characters must include at least one alphabetical character (a-z)". Did you set up a GMail of just your phone number?

a1rjumpman23

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
This GMail idea sounds like a good one but GMail does not allow login names of cell numbers such as 12125551212 --- it says "Sorry, usernames of 8 or more characters must include at least one alphabetical character (a-z)". Did you set up a GMail of just your phone number?

just put one letter in front of ur email like BXXXXXXXXXX@gmail.com. For me i personally use yahoo mail

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.